Multimeter Case - Do I Really Need One?

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Thinking of buying a case for my multimeter as 1) got tired to taking in and out the tight original box and 2) haven't spent all my gift cards from Christmas yet.

As, I was browsing, started to ask myself, do I really need a case? In other words, are are they so fragile that a case is needed for protection? Or is a case mainly for organization and vanity?

I did go away from the original tight box and at this moment am using a cardboard box box that I saved from a previous hard drive purchase. Actually the cardboard box fits quit nicely as a poor man's multimeter container :LOL:.

Last edited:
I don't have a case for mine, I just leave it on a shelf in a basement cabinet. It did come with a rubber case and I leave it in that, but if it didn't have one I wouldn't bother to go buy one.

I've got three of them and they all are in my "electronic" instruments drawer. (A large drawer in one of my roll around tool boxes.) None are in separate boxes and no problems, so far.

I have a case for my good one, a Fluke 115, but not all the other cheapies. I keep some jumpers with alligator clips in there too in case I want to monitor with hands off.

Thinking of buying a case for my multimeter as 1) got tired to taking in and out the tight original box and 2) haven't spent all my gift cards from Christmas yet.

As, I was browsing, started to ask myself, do I really need a case? In other words, are are they so fragile that a case is needed for protection? Or is a case mainly for organization and vanity?

I did go away from the original tight box and at this moment am using a cardboard box box that I saved from a previous hard drive purchase. Actually the cardboard box fits quit nicely as a poor man's multimeter container :LOL:.

depends. Most modern multi-meters are made to with stand abuse. Even pretty cheap ones hold up pretty well. Some of the older ones (non-digital) VOM were less tolerant to abuse with their analog movement. Although old simpson meters stood up well too.

I would say if you have accessories that would fit in the case, then maybe get a case. Otherwise not. I've not used a case that I can recall.

And I'm not going to figure out who has more multi-meters.

I found many 'cases' for various stuff like this at my local thrift store. I'm sure they weren't intended for meters, probably for an electric shaver or other device, but fits.

Here's what I use right now. Just used shipping box for a hard drive. Does fit pretty nicely though. As I wouldn't want a case that's crammed too tight with stuff. Yet, at the same time, a present splurge may be nice too.

Attachments

• meter box.JPG
    meter box.JPG
    474.9 KB · Views: 27
Here's what I use right now. Just used shipping box for a hard drive. Does fit pretty nicely though. As I wouldn't want a case that's crammed too tight with stuff. Yet, at the same time, a present splurge may be nice too.

Looks like a winner to me!

Yep. Looks good. I see it as more of something to keep everything together rather than a protection of the meter.

After thinking this over, being a Christmas gift card and all, decided to go ahead and buy a meter case. When it arrives, will see if I like or go back to the cardboard box.

If I keep the case, sure I can use the cardboard box for something else. Not going to get rid of something as useful as that :).

Last edited:
I'm glad my Fluke 87 came in a rubberized outer case, as it has been dropped so many times onto concert floors I lost count.

87v-03a-600x402.jpg

I'm glad my Fluke 87 came in a rubberized outer case, as it has been dropped so many times onto concert floors I lost count.

87v-03a-600x402.jpg

That protective case looks nice!

My multimeters (including my apparently indestructible 25 year old Fluke) live in a drawer in one of the rollaways in my garage. A case would just be one more thing to open before use. I have a more recent no-name clamp meter that has a lot more capability than the Fluke, but for ordinary DVM measurements in whatever ugly conditions my garage / machine shop can conjure the Fluke is still my favorite.

I think I have maybe 5 different multimeters, including my faithful Simpson 260. My good DMM was a really nice kit (sabtronics) that I built in the late '70's that included true RMS AC readings. Very special for the era. I did have to replace the LCD display once due to some defective segments. I also have a couple of the free HF meters and one that I bought at a hamfest maybe 10 years back. The hamfest meter has a soft outer cover similar to the Fluke shown earlier. The HF are really cr@p, but they serve a purpose. In that case, you get more than you pay for, for sure. Anyway, they are all shoved into a single steel drawer in my workbench, one piled on top of the other. No cases and no cardboard boxes. They've been there for over 12 years and still work when I remember to replace the batteries. Cases are for sissy's:dance:

I think I have maybe 5 different multimeters, including my faithful Simpson 260.

That baby is retro. I've gotten in arguments with old engineers saying my 8 digit, 0.002% accurate meter is junk because their analog meter is rock steady, as they measure a 25+ gig ohm resistor in a room with big electric motors and florescent lights.:facepalm:

Yup. Retro it is! But it is great in some applications. And it still works. Try adjusting an old fashioned vibrator type automotive generator regulator with a digital meter. 3 different DMMs may give you 3 very different readings. Iron Vane analog meter is inherently an RMS device, even with DC. In my youth, when TV manufacturing was big in the USA, I watched in awe as our manufacturing test engineers troubleshot RF distribution systems with the lowly 260!

It will certainly load down a high Z circuit. As an engineer, I used Flukes. As a hobbyist, my wallet could not support buying a Fluke. That's why I also have the Sabtronics.

Mine rides in my tool box along with pipe wrenches, hack saw, adjustable wrenches and the like. No case.

I use mine to troubleshoot furnaces, appliances and whatever else I need to verify voltage on. It was about $60 new.

Back
Top Bottom