Multimeter Case - Do I Really Need One?

I've got a couple Fluke 87s in their protective yellow case and a few other cheaper brands. The cheap ones all stay in their padded cases until needed. The Flukes? well they're pretty indestructible. I've had them for 10+ years, dropped, gotten wet, stepped on, and pretty much abused and they still keep on ticking'.

I keep mine in pocket in a toolbag...don't see the need for a separate case.

electrical engineer here: dreams of having an electronics workbench. Until the dream is realized, I keep my multimeter, as well as all other small electronics tools in a clear plastic box with lid.

No separate gargage or work bench for me. So, when possible I keep stuff like power tools in cases. Otherwise, they get left all over places. Treating a multimeter like a tool, so one reason for the original post.

But after reading the responses (enjoying them), kinda wish I left the meter around and had some scuffs and grease marks on it :cool:.

I have a nice case for mine:

ac7154089ba11cee0492073393849c07.jpg

Originally Posted by travelover
I don't do anything requiring high precision so I have these free Horrible Fright meters all over the place.

Harbor Freight Tools Coupon Database - Free coupons, 25 percent off coupons, toolbox coupons - 7 FUNCTION DIGITAL MULTIMETER
I had one of these, but it was only good for about 5 uses when the probe contact inside broke.

And my old Lafayette (from the 1970s) finally died last I tried to use it. Gotta get a replacement!

Yes, the cheap meters seem like quite a bargain in terms of capability and decent accuracy, but it seemed I just couldn't depend on them. After a while, the function/range selector switches don't make good contact, and the readings are all over the map. No fun when you can't tell if it's the circuit or the meter that's flaky.

People swear by their Flukes (for good reason), but you end up swearing at these cheap HF and ebay meters.

After some research, this one seemed a pretty good middle ground, just $35:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YF0VEM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

8196voKm9cL._AC_UL115_.jpg

I was impressed enough with the one I bought, that I got a second so I could monitor two points (or V and I) at the same time. So far, 100% reliable.

These are also handy to connect to an old power supply that doesn't have meters:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-100V-10...787046?hash=item1ea2a5b2a6:g:EMQAAOSwie5XTO6m

s-l1600.jpg

Just $3.75 + $0.99 shipping, if you don't mind the slow boat from China.

-ERD50

I think the biggest problem with multimeters is the possibility of moisture condensing on the inside on the circuit board in moist or humid locations. I have seen several meters "blow up" because of that issue underground in a coal mine. Thank goodness the guys using them had gloves and safety glasses on. I keep mine with some silica gel packets, probably for a sense of false security.

................Yes, the cheap meters seem like quite a bargain in terms of capability and decent accuracy, but it seemed I just couldn't depend on them. After a while, the function/range selector switches don't make good contact, and the readings are all over the map........

These are also handy to connect to an old power supply that doesn't have meters:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-100V-10...787046?hash=item1ea2a5b2a6:g:EMQAAOSwie5XTO6m

Just $3.75 + $0.99 shipping, if you don't mind the slow boat from China.

-ERD50
Oh, I see. You don't like my junky Chinese multimeters, but you recommend these junky Chinese gauges. :LOL:

Oh, I see. You don't like my junky Chinese multimeters, but you recommend these junky Chinese gauges. :LOL:

:LOL: If they had any moving parts, I probably couldn't recommend them. But for a few bucks, these cheap (not so junky really) Chinese gauges are pretty nice.

I've actually thought about hardwiring the function switch on those HF meters. OK, this one is for low VDC, this one is for ACV, this one is for DC mA, this one is for DC A, this one is for LOW R, this one is for HIGH R.

But I have my limits. Glad I could buy what appears to be a decent multimeter for $35.

-ERD50

Got my multimeter case. It's nothing fancy, just has two sections.

I use one section for the meter, the other for cables, probes and meter instructions.

Overall, I like the case a bit more than the cardboard box so will keep :).

Attachments

• outside.JPG
    outside.JPG
    561.1 KB · Views: 4
  • both sections.JPG
    both sections.JPG
    443.8 KB · Views: 6
  • first section.JPG
    first section.JPG
    643.5 KB · Views: 8
  • second section.JPG
    second section.JPG
    531.3 KB · Views: 6
I have bought 25 of these for use in my lab. Three years now, and I don't think we have failed one yet. They are a sub-$30 meter. My personal machine, a Fluke 87, has a padded case. Primary reason for the case is to keep the leads contained and hold the extra probes and such. My Fluke 77 lasted perhaps 25 - 30 years before something gave up inside.

51VzEMc6%2B9L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

I'm glad my Fluke 87 came in a rubberized outer case, as it has been dropped so many times onto concert floors I lost count.

87v-03a-600x402.jpg

We call it a holster. :)

You might find a suitable case at a thrift store. Some stores have piles of cases of all types. I found a really slick carrying case for my laptop for $5.

Back
Top Bottom