Musings a year into retirement (response to an earlier question)

Timeisprecious

Recycles dryer sheets
A while back on this website, someone wrote to me, “Wow, a double whammy – you’re beginning retirement AND leaving the military … both at the same time! We’d really like you to stick around and maybe a year from now, let us know how the adjustment is going.” Well, I recently crossed that one-year line so I began musing: What HAVE I learned this first year in retirement?

Let’s get the obvious out of the way – yes, life is MUCH less stressful when you can stay in bed as long as you want! And yes, stress in your life is further reduced when you can do the chores and errands any time of the week and take as long as you want to get ‘em done - or, hire someone ELSE to do them FOR you! :)

But I’ve also learned a few things that are less obvious. First, spending time with your spouse – yes, it’s important to learn the right amounts of time apart and together. It’s a learning process. But wow – how much more deeply you can fall in love when you can do the things you want together and spend more time just enjoying each other! I don’t think DW and I were ever closer in spirit than we are now.

Leaving the military – I didn’t come close to realizing how difficult and painful it would be leaving both the service to my country and my comrades in arms. We took an oath – to give our lives to our country to the point of death. And we have each other’s back – we support and care about each other. My family experienced this love and support first-hand. I’m finding a variety of ways to help and serve our military veterans – you never stop serving, and we’re soldiers for life. I very much miss those with whom I’ve served, think of them more than they probably realize, and pray for them often.

Retirement is not all peaches and cream – it’s not a life without problems. I was extremely hurt by someone I thought I was close with about a month ago. I did everything I could to restore the relationship, but the person walked away – I couldn’t prevent it. I’m still not clear why it happened. I’ve always cared deeply about the people in my life, and I think that’s probably even more true in retirement. What could I do? I forgive and remain open if the person wants to return. But I recently heard a wise statement: “Don’t let yesterday take up too much of today.” I’m trying not to do that, and DW and I are still enjoying old friends and making new ones, doing what we want and deeply enjoying our life in retirement.

That being said, you learn to really appreciate the simple yet profound and amazing things – freedom, true peace and eternal life in the Lord Jesus Christ, meals with the one you love, sunsets, snow, and joy even in these days of COVID. I look forward to traveling more and further than we do now, but it doesn’t matter much when I think that the best life – the one after death – is coming. Even in the midst of a little restlessness I feel settled. And THAT is a lesson worth learning! ;)

Very nice. The military is indeed a unique culture. I left the Navy 35 years ago, but I think about my former shipmates much more than any of the people I worked with after that.

Well said, especially about service and service members. The highlight of my service is 3 daughters in proudly serving in uniform.

The highlight of my retirement is providing no-cost training to Vets. Over 500 trained since 2013 with unemployed and transitioning Vets getting priority. My 36th class is next week (unfortunately it is shaping up to be more Army than Navy). My goal is 1000 trained, God willing.

Well said, especially about service and service members. The highlight of my service is 3 daughters in proudly serving in uniform.

The highlight of my retirement is providing no-cost training to Vets. Over 500 trained since 2013 with unemployed and transitioning Vets getting priority. My 36th class is next week (unfortunately it is shaping up to be more Army than Navy). My goal is 1000 trained, God willing.

That sounds commendable!

May I ask what training you are giving?

Thank you for sharing and thank you for your service. It seems that you have a very good perspective on what is important - to retirees and to everyone else.

Good post and thank you for your service.

Thanks for your service...all active or did you do some in the Guard/Reserve as well?

My oldest is in for a decade active & I'm trying to convince him to go career even if he has to move to Guard/Reserve.

Thanks for this very nice reflection. As a newly retired person, I wonder how I will reflect on all that has happened seemingly so quickly one year from now.

I had a conflict with a friend about two years ago that resulted in a severed relationship. Sometimes no matter the best intentions on both sides it happens. Time does heal, but slowly. In the interim we really come to know ourselves better. Meanwhile, retirement for me is definitely going to mean reaching out to form new relationships and learn new things.

I sent this by PM, but might as well have done it publicly:

Thanks for the answer, AND thanks for your training work!

Great post. Love how your faith is informing the life you are living. Happy retirement to you. And thanks for serving!

Thanks for your service...all active or did you do some in the Guard/Reserve as well?

My oldest is in for a decade active & I'm trying to convince him to go career even if he has to move to Guard/Reserve.

Thank you much. I did my 20+ years all active - a little over four during the cold war ('77 - '81) and the rest after 9/11 ('04 - '20, although with lots of remaining leave to take I was able to retire in Dec. 2019).

That's really great, Tekward! Yes, it's really great to help out those vets who aren't doing as well as others. Right now I'm involved with food distribution, and I'm also getting involved with driving vets to their appointments and other commitments. When the volunteer program at the local VA clinic gets going again I'll be helping there too.

Back
Top Bottom