my experience with CVS COVID drive-through test

Status
Not open for further replies.

simple girl

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Site Team
Hello all!

First of all, my test results came back negative! Yay!

I thought I'd share my experience in case others find it helpful/interesting.

I truly didn't expect my result to be positive, as I am also nearly still self-quarantining with hubby, but when I woke up with a fever Friday morning, I figured it was best to be safe.

I called my primary care doctor to find out where they recommended I go, as I trust their opinion. They do COVID testing in the parking lot outside their office, but they were about to close by the time I talked to the nurse. So, she recommended CVS's drive-through option.

I followed CVS's steps online and was able to get an appt within 2 hrs, which was fantastic.

At my scheduled time I went to the CVS. They had signs for drive-through testing clearly posted - COVID testing in left lane, regular prescription pick-up in right lane. There was no one in the COVID lane, drive right up!

Basically they sent out a testing kit and instructed me step by step in the self-administration of the test. I put the test in the drop box located right there (using the disinfecting wipe they gave me to clean it and my hands).

The type of test they do is the anterior nares test, which is MUCH less invasive. No problem doing the test at all, only slight discomfort.

I had to register online for an account with the CVS minute clinic to get my results.

I received them this morning, a little under 48 hrs since testing.

Easy and fast results. So happy it was a good experience! And outcome! :D

Reactions: Cb
Nice to know it was easy and fairly quick.
Good to check it out with any symptoms.

I had a very similar experience. Had a bit of congestion and cough Thursday night, still there Friday morning, so I reserved a test time at my CVS. I actually had to choose a later time than the first open one so I could eat lunch and drive nearly an hour. The one closer test place 35 minutes away was booked. My son was planning to visit for the weekend, but I texted him and he called and we decided that it would be really stupid to take the risk if I did happen to be positive.

I arrived right on time, circled the building because I missed a sign, and waited 3-5 minutes for two cars ahead of me to pick up their prescriptions. Pulled up, gave them my ID, then lots of typing inside. A second person comes over to the keyboard and they seem to try lots of things. A phone call, 10 minutes long, they didn't have the fix but gave another number to call. Second call, and it goes on and on. The person at the window gave me a couple "hang on" indications. From what I could hear there was something about my insurance that they had to override to allow them to continue. It was, I'm not exaggerating, a little of 40 minutes of waiting before she finally got it accepted. I felt bad for the cars stacking up behind me. I saw a few leave. There was a second lane available for prescriptions, but only one took it. The lady was very apologetic and I thanked her for not giving up as I didn't want to have to make another long drive another day.

Doing the swab itself went quickly and I was on my way. They said with the increasing number of tests being done it might be 3-5 days rather than 2, but I got my results this morning. Negative, as I expected, but still a relief. I suppose with such mild symptoms it might be better to be positive and have it behind me, but symptoms could get worse or have long term effects. I hadn't been anywhere except the grocery store and Lowe's in the preceding 10 days so it seemed unlikely to get the virus, or a cold for that matter. I guess it could be allergies. 13 days before I first had any symptoms I had been out with my GF and some other friends, all outside but one couple was the type who wanted to hug no matter what. I went along with it but from now on I'm just going to keep myself safer.

First, I'm glad your test was negative! Thanks for the clear explanation of how it was done.

You know, I'd be a bit concerned about the average person's willingness/ability to properly self-administer the test. Most people are allergic to any level of discomfort. Could result in a lot of false negatives.

First, I'm glad your test was negative! Thanks for the clear explanation of how it was done.

You know, I'd be a bit concerned about the average person's willingness/ability to properly self-administer the test. Most people are allergic to any level of discomfort. Could result in a lot of false negatives.

That's what I was thinking

I was a little concerned about that too. They had me swab in both sides, and I definitely felt it more the second time. The info sheet I got said they would contact me if there were issues with the sample. I don't know if that means they could detect you didn't go deep enough.

DW and I also went to CVS for a COVID-19 test. Our state recommends, but does not require, getting one after returning from Florida or any other "hotspot". We felt fine upon return, but traveling for the first time since the lockdown and being in Florida when things were 'hotter", we did in just in case, to make others we had been around or were going to be around feel comfortable.

We checked with our primary care Tuesday to get approval and then went online to schedule a test. There are 4 CVS pharmacies within 20 minutes of us, and a couple had slots available Wednesday morning. The one we chose did testing via the drive-thru. They have only one drive-thru lane for both testing and prescriptions. They have a big sign letting people know that due to testing they might be in the drive through line for an hour or more, to set waiting expectations.

It took us about 30 minutes to get to the window, we passed the time playing Quiddler. They had us use the testing kits one at a time, first me then DW. Though our test times were 40 minutes apart they just went ahead and had us test together, without having to drive around and get back on the line for the second appointment.

We both have had swab tests for different things in the past so we knew how much discomfort we needed to experience :). The entire process from pulling up to departure was a little more than 30 minutes.

They said expect 2-5 days for the results. I received my test result (negative) online Friday evening, DW received hers (also negative) by Saturday morning.

Thank you!

I agree with you on that, for sure!

Using a flocked or spun polyester swab, insert the swab at least 1 cm (0.5 inch) inside the nostril (naris) and firmly sample the nasal membrane by rotating the swab and leaving in place for 10 to 15 seconds. Sample both nostrils with same swab.
Half an inch in isn't very far... I've seen people waiting at stop lights or in stores fishing a lot deeper than that! :D

I've done 8 of the supervised, self administered deep nasal swab tests since May. It was a requirement before boarding the air charter for work and also an Alaska state requirement for anyone arriving by air from out of state. All my tests were negative, but I would have been very surprised to find otherwise. The first time I was supervised administering the test was a new experience. I wasn't aware you could jam something that far up your nose before that. After experiencing what was expected, my later tests were no big deal.

I'm going to Arizona for a week and will get tested in the Anchorage airport again when I return in 10 days. Nothing to look forward to, but no big deal.

^ LOL!!
Glad all went well and thanks.

Half an inch in isn't very far... I've seen people waiting at stop lights or in stores fishing a lot deeper than that! :D

Bill Gates several months ago was repeatedly telling people that swabbing the nostril near the end of the nose was good enough, but the message wasn’t getting through at the time.

i got swabbed, looked like a zip tie and he shoved it until it touched brain. He looked at it when it came out and announced he didnt need to do the other side. Stung like chemical was on it, but maybe it was just me being a wimp.

Had a Covid Test Today--Fast and Not Painful

I am having a colonoscopy Monday and in order to have that procedure I have to have a negative Covid test 3 days prior. The colonoscopy doctor set up an appointment for me at the local hospital for my Covid test. It was a drive by test. The people administering the tests were dressed in what appeared to be hazmat suits. There was about 30 cars ahead of me but the line went fast. They used a long narrow swab in one nostril--inserted it for 15 seconds. It tickled a little but not painful. It was very similar to the flu test I had a couple of years ago. I am to receive my results by email in 24-48 hours.

If only the colonoscopy were as easy as the Covid test...no looking forward to the prep for that.

I am having a colonoscopy Monday and in order to have that procedure I have to have a negative Covid test 3 days prior. The colonoscopy doctor set up an appointment for me at the local hospital for my Covid test. It was a drive by test. The people administering the tests were dressed in what appeared to be hazmat suits. There was about 30 cars ahead of me but the line went fast. They used a long narrow swab in one nostril--inserted it for 15 seconds. It tickled a little but not painful. It was very similar to the flu test I had a couple of years ago. I am to receive my results by email in 24-48 hours.

If only the colonoscopy were as easy as the Covid test...no looking forward to the prep for that.

Got the negative test results this morning (less than 24 hours after the test so pretty good turn around time). So the colonoscopy is on for Monday.:dance:

Thanks for the good description, and glad you are OK!

Hello all!

First of all, my test results came back negative! Yay!

I thought I'd share my experience in case others find it helpful/interesting.

I truly didn't expect my result to be positive, as I am also nearly still self-quarantining with hubby, but when I woke up with a fever Friday morning, I figured it was best to be safe.

I called my primary care doctor to find out where they recommended I go, as I trust their opinion. They do COVID testing in the parking lot outside their office, but they were about to close by the time I talked to the nurse. So, she recommended CVS's drive-through option.

I followed CVS's steps online and was able to get an appt within 2 hrs, which was fantastic.

At my scheduled time I went to the CVS. They had signs for drive-through testing clearly posted - COVID testing in left lane, regular prescription pick-up in right lane. There was no one in the COVID lane, drive right up!

Basically they sent out a testing kit and instructed me step by step in the self-administration of the test. I put the test in the drop box located right there (using the disinfecting wipe they gave me to clean it and my hands).

The type of test they do is the anterior nares test, which is MUCH less invasive. No problem doing the test at all, only slight discomfort.

I had to register online for an account with the CVS minute clinic to get my results.

I received them this morning, a little under 48 hrs since testing.

Easy and fast results. So happy it was a good experience! And outcome! :D

Testing Experiences

Didn't see this in another thread. DW and I were notified that we were in a location with an individual that later tested positive. Called our providers (I'm Tricare and DW is Kaiser). Tricare asked many questions then transferred me to another and so on. Finally I was hung up on.

DW called Kaiser and answered the questions, then they setup a call the next day (Wed 18 Nov) for a telephone appt with her Dr. After talking to Dr we asked about testing and she set her up with a test next day. Just went for the test, a line of cars and it was done outside in a parking garage. Only took 12 minutes to get through the line and get test done. It is a PCR test, so we are supposed to get results in 24-48 hours. In talking to her Dr she agreed that DW results will likely be the same for me. If she is negative I would likely also be and if she is positive I would likely also be. Since it has been 6 days now since potential exposure and no symptoms for either of us. I'm pretty much OK with one test.

Bottom line, Kaiser did good job. Gathered information needed and was efficient. Tricare not so much. I get Kaiser next year with Medicare.

Didn't see this in another thread. DW and I were notified that we were in a location with an individual that later tested positive. Called our providers (I'm Tricare and DW is Kaiser). Tricare asked many questions then transferred me to another and so on. Finally I was hung up on.

DW called Kaiser and answered the questions, then they setup a call the next day (Wed 18 Nov) for a telephone appt with her Dr. After talking to Dr we asked about testing and she set her up with a test next day. Just went for the test, a line of cars and it was done outside in a parking garage. Only took 12 minutes to get through the line and get test done. It is a PCR test, so we are supposed to get results in 24-48 hours. In talking to her Dr she agreed that DW results will likely be the same for me. If she is negative I would likely also be and if she is positive I would likely also be. Since it has been 6 days now since potential exposure and no symptoms for either of us. I'm pretty much OK with one test.

Bottom line, Kaiser did good job. Gathered information needed and was efficient. Tricare not so much. I get Kaiser next year with Medicare.

Just a follow up, got results back in 30 hours and negative. We both felt sure that it would be negative as no symptoms and the event where we were exposed was all masks and gloves with airflow and distancing. However we were surprised at the relief from negative results. Back to normal sequestration.

Pharmacy drive through covid testing concern

Could I get a confirmation that our concerns are justified or a dispelling of our worries as there is nothing to worry about in regards to our local pharmacy?

My wife picked up meds today and apparently our pharmacy is doing Covid testing. To drive through and pick up meds there is an awning-covered area with tellers like tube dispensing structures on the left and the building on the right. A sign indicates if you are there for Covid testing to keep your windows up until you arrive at the drive up tube with your voucher (for testing).

Isn't this disconcerting? I was thining of sending this message to them, but just wanted to see if we were overreacting.

My wife and I are troubled at how our local [store name] is handling Covid testing.

- Even if it is safe, why would you concern your Covid concerned customers by utilizing the same line for testing?
- There is obviously cause for concern as the sign asks for potential Covid patients to keep their windows up...but there is no guarantee they will.
- Presumably, those being tested with vouchers have symptoms, and their windows must come down to be tested, they will be potentially exposing the air with Covid (or whatever viral infection they do have)
- The next customer who may just be picking up a med is then exposed to this air. We understand the thought is the virus can dissipate quicker outdoors, but the science is ever-evolving on how Covid is transmitted, even outdoors.
- This is also under a tunnel-like awning (dispensing tube structure on the left, building on the right) that potentially creates a stale air area, especially on non-windy days, potentially negating whatever benefits the outdoors may provide
- Many customers picking up meds are forced to get out of their car to do so at the tubes because they are not able to reach the dispensers, further exposing them to the potential air a covid testing customer deposited in the area.

I know we are all growing tired of this pandemic, but the situation of testing at this [store name] is troublesome to say the least.​

Could I get a confirmation that our concerns are justified or a dispelling of our worries as there is nothing to worry about in regards to our local pharmacy?

My wife picked up meds today and apparently our pharmacy is doing Covid testing. To drive through and pick up meds there is an awning-covered area with tellers like tube dispensing structures on the left and the building on the right. A sign indicates if you are there for Covid testing to keep your windows up until you arrive at the drive up tube with your voucher (for testing).

Isn't this disconcerting? I was thining of sending this message to them, but just wanted to see if we were overreacting.

My wife and I are troubled at how our local [store name] is handling Covid testing.

- Even if it is safe, why would you concern your Covid concerned customers by utilizing the same line for testing?

- There is obviously cause for concern as the sign asks for potential Covid patients to keep their windows up...but there is no guarantee they will.

- Presumably, those being tested with vouchers have symptoms, and their windows must come down to be tested, they will be potentially exposing the air with Covid (or whatever viral infection they do have)

- The next customer who may just be picking up a med is then exposed to this air. We understand the thought is the virus can dissipate quicker outdoors, but the science is ever-evolving on how Covid is transmitted, even outdoors.

- This is also under a tunnel-like awning (dispensing tube structure on the left, building on the right) that potentially creates a stale air area, especially on non-windy days, potentially negating whatever benefits the outdoors may provide

- Many customers picking up meds are forced to get out of their car to do so at the tubes because they are not able to reach the dispensers, further exposing them to the potential air a covid testing customer deposited in the area.

I know we are all growing tired of this pandemic, but the situation of testing at this [store name] is troublesome to say the least.​

That is a bit concerning. We got tested last week at an Urgent Care clinic. We went inside to register, they gave us paperwork to fill out and asked us to sit in our car. We filled out the paperwork and the technician came out with mask and gloves to administer the test one at a time so nothing would get mixed up among the three of us. Fifteen minutes later she came out with our reports with negative results. No vouchers, so we had to pay. But the free tests are impossible to schedule around here.

That is a bit concerning. We got tested last week at an Urgent Care clinic. We went inside to register, they gave us paperwork to fill out and asked us to sit in our car. We filled out the paperwork and the technician came out with mask and gloves to administer the test one at a time so nothing would get mixed up among the three of us. Fifteen minutes later she came out with our reports with negative results. No vouchers, so we had to pay. But the free tests are impossible to schedule around here.

I went to an urgent care clinic also as it was the only place open on Saturday for the rapid test and I needed to know quickly as I care for my 96 tear old Dad. As you did, we had to go inside to register! This totally defeats the purpose of drive thru testing. When I got there there were 20 people inside waiting to register! 20 people who think they have covid in a small room with no ventilation! I wouldn't go in. I waited in my car and the line went down so I went in with a couple people in front of me. Of course as soon as I get in line 10 or so people pile in behind me. I really needed this test so I stuck it out.
Took about 20 minutes then get in line in my car and notice the guy administering the tests never changed gloves. They checked your oxygen level and never sanitized the oxymeter. What a sh-tshow!
My sister had been there earlier and tested positive so all those people waiting in line with her could have been exposed. I wonder how many ended up with covid because of their visit?
I tested negative but had it too as I tested positive a few days later. Was I too contagious in that room with all those people?
I actually called the health dept on that place but got no response. I did see in later reviews on Yelp,etc people were saying they had to wait outside to go in and register so maybe it did some good. But I just couldn't believe the complete incompetence of that place.

I had the same experience, twice now with CVS. They do a good job, no waiting in line.

I went to an urgent care clinic also as it was the only place open on Saturday for the rapid test and I needed to know quickly as I care for my 96 tear old Dad. As you did, we had to go inside to register! This totally defeats the purpose of drive thru testing. When I got there there were 20 people inside waiting to register! 20 people who think they have covid in a small room with no ventilation! I wouldn't go in. I waited in my car and the line went down so I went in with a couple people in front of me. Of course as soon as I get in line 10 or so people pile in behind me. I really needed this test so I stuck it out.

Took about 20 minutes then get in line in my car and notice the guy administering the tests never changed gloves. They checked your oxygen level and never sanitized the oxymeter. What a sh-tshow!

My sister had been there earlier and tested positive so all those people waiting in line with her could have been exposed. I wonder how many ended up with covid because of their visit?

I tested negative but had it too as I tested positive a few days later. Was I too contagious in that room with all those people?

I actually called the health dept on that place but got no response. I did see in later reviews on Yelp,etc people were saying they had to wait outside to go in and register so maybe it did some good. But I just couldn't believe the complete incompetence of that place.

When we got to the clinic there was just one person in the waiting area, so it wasn’t as bad as your experience. I can’t say if she changed gloves because she went inside between samples.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom