my (female) hair

At my age, I am glad to get it cut and really don't look at it critically afterwards. I think she is just tired of it all. Maybe I'll go to the barbershop in town and see how it goes. ;) Couple of my buddies go there and say they have female barbers...;)

Frank goes to an old time traditional barber, but they seem to be dying out around here. Every time he finds a good barber, the barber retires or dies. So good luck in finding one. I have been trying to get him to go to Supercuts, but he wants an old fashioned, normal men's haircut and he is skeptical when I tell him they can do that.

Prices vary by the region of the country an extreme amount.

Back when I was working, in 2002 or 2003 I guess, I did an informal survey of about 20 women at my workplace by asking them where they got their hair done and what the cost was. They ALL colored their hair, which amazed me because I didn't realize it at the time. The minimum any of them was spending at the hairdresser was an average of $180/month including tips. They sure looked great, though! :)

All of them really kept up with the color and went in a lot to have it touched up or whatever.

Last edited:
Frank goes to an old time traditional barber, but they seem to be dying out around here. Every time he finds a good barber, the barber retires or dies. So good luck in finding one. I have been trying to get him to go to Supercuts, but he wants an old fashioned, normal men's haircut and he is skeptical when I tell him they can do that.

Yeah, Supercuts, they are here too. Talk about old time barbers, when I lived in Connecticut in the late 70's, early 80's, I used to get my hair cut at the Oxford Post Office which was run by two barbers: Post office in front room, barber shop in back. That was a hoot as when someone came in to buy stamps, etc, the barber would have to stop cutting and go tend to the customer.

On track, the big beauty shops here have dozens of chairs and really are busy. A shop rum by a Vietnamese group just opened in the town where I live and it too, is crammed. I guess the economy is good here.;)

There's a really nice Japanese lady who cuts my hair. She's just down the road and does a perfect job. I tip her like 30%. She always fits me in.

When I first got to town (undergrad), I had a part time job and one of the other guys had what I thought was great hair. I asked him where he got it cut? He told me and said, "ask for this stylist. She puts her breasts in your face!". I went there and it turned out there was a bar next door. The owner would go over and buy drinks to bring back! Heaven!

Katsmeow, are you certain we are not sisters?:LOL: I've been dyeing it myself for 30 years, with perhaps 6-8 times having it done at a salon.
If this works, there will be two photos.
Here for all are my options:

I think it looks great in both photos!

If it was me, I'd go for the look you feel most comfortable in, and that requires the least care. I am thinking that would be the shorter, grayer look of the second photo. You look terrific! The first photo also looks fabulous but it looks like it would require a lot of maintenance.

I keep mine straight and shoulder length. I used to dye it myself and then saw how much nicer and more natural others' hair color looked from a salon. I told my hairdresser to make it as close to my natural color as she could with some highlights that would make the gray sort of fit in as it grows. I have to color it 4x a year and it looks so much better than the job I was doing. She charges 110 to color, highlight and cut my hair. I like the idea of short hair, but I feel really uncomfortable and strange with short hair. I doubt I will change it, since I can put it up or down and it's easy.

I pay $95 every five weeks for a trim&color
. My hair is reddish brown and short. I would go gray if I knew I would be a silver gray not mousey brown with dull gray.

I pay $40 (including tip) every 5-6 weeks for a haircut. I have always had short haircuts (somewhere between pixie and just above the shoulders, usually around chin-length). My hair has some natural curl, so now on days when I'm just hanging out, I use a gel spray and scrunch it up while it's still wet and it looks like it's messy on purpose. Otherwise it's a 5-minute blow dry with a curling iron touch-up if it's a bad hair day.

I've been using Clairol Natural Instincts "hot cocoa" shade since my sister introduced me to it quite a few years ago. About 4 years ago the stores here stopped carrying that shade but I found it on drugstore.com and just order 4 boxes at a time (or enough to get free shipping if possible). I color every 4-6 weeks. My hairdresser has never pushed me to do professional color - she actually comments on how great my hair looks and feels with the home color on it. I've decided that when this no longer works well enough, I'll let it go gray.

I have very black thick straight hair and exercise a lot. All my new hair grows out white in color and my hair grows very fast. I like my hair not too short and not too long - when it touches my shoulder, it's time to cut. So for time saving and financial purposes, I cut and dye my hair in the salon every quarter. Between quarters, I dye the roots myself. I ask my hairdresser to layer cut my hair so that it is lighter at the bottom and dries faster as I wash it everyday.

Back
Top Bottom