My Mom's Advanced Heart Failure

Kats,

I am responding as someone with a mom who has congestive heart failure....and as a long-time hospice volunteer.

You have a lot to deal with and I want to offer this. Please forgive me if it has already been mentioned.
Over the years, I have had many patients released from hospice. If a patient has a life expectancy of six months or less, they can be admitted into hospice. Sometimes, that is extended over and over again.... and in other cases, the patient is released.

If you think your mom and your family might benefit (and that is very possible), I hope you look into it -- at least for six months. If your mom improves or wishes to exit hospice for any reason, that is always available---as well as re-entering down the road.

Best wishes & hugs. You and your mom are on my mind this evening. My mom refuses to accept she has CHF because she does not believe in Western medicine, which presents challenges as well.

sigh

This x1000. Please get a hospice referral. THEY are professionals here, not the MDs working in the hospitals. The hospice folks are able to figure out if she is clinically "qualified", and given the number of co-morbidities, the hospice folks are THE MOST QUALIFIED to tell you if she qualifies or not. Find a reputable company, and call them. Don't let the MD's push you around.

As mentioned, the 6 month time frame has a LOT of room for interpretation, especially when there are a lot of things going on...like in your Mom's case.

I think you would find the "assessment" process to be one that is fairly easy and would answer a lot of questions for you and your Mom. As sad as it is, they see this stuff day in and day out.

About the hospice referral - my main concern on this is how my mom would react to my even raising the issue. As I've mentioned she is not one to want to face up to reality at times. She will ignore facts rather than change her views on things.

Don't get me wrong -- I think more information is better than no information. And, I do understand people can exit hospice. DH's mother in a nursing home lived for several years after being initially placed on hospice. So I get it, I really do.

That said. I am not at all sure my mother would get it. Let me give you an example. Bear in mind when I tell you this that mother does not have dementia and has generally not been confused.

I mentioned in an earlier post about how the ER nurse asked her if she wanted a DNR and explained some of the negatives of resuscitation on older patients. My mom just told her to ask me and didn't really give an answer.

Later that evening, I was chatting with my mom and I explicitly said to her that they weren't saying that her heart was going to stop. They just wanted to know if she wanted to be resuscitated if it were to happen. My mom said that she would not want to have any broken bones.

So - the next day I go to see my mom in the hospital. When I get there my mom is in the room with a nurse and she is saying that the doctor told her the night before they would be putting a mask on her and stopping her heart and she would die! She frowned at that. I could tell she wasted happy about it (of course!). I told her that I was quite sure that they weren't going to do that.

I told the nurse that the only thing I could think of was that maybe she was confused about the theoretical discussion of whether she wanted to be resuscitated in the event her heart stopped. Except for her belief that the doctor told her she was going to have her heart stopped and would die, she seemed otherwise rational.

I talked to the main nurse in charge of her and she was clear that my mom was not confused in general. She was just wrong about thinking someone was going to kill her.

So I am not entirely sure where this came from. I was there at the discussion with the nurse. I don't know what the ER doctor said after I left (once it was clear she was being admitted and was just waiting for a room). But, I know he didn't say they were going to put a mask on her and were going to stop her heart so she would die!

So - I do have a concern that if she thought I was having hospice evaluate her that she would think that I was wanting her to die or that the doctors wanted her to die, etc. Now - if she brought it up or if her doctor brought it up then I would encourage her to do it. But, I do have a concern about me being the one to do this.

One thing I really want to do is to take her to see her primary care doctor. The one who told me that my mom was in declining condition and gave me a guesstimate of 6 months to a year. I would like to know what she thinks now. Of course, to have my mom see her she has to be discharged and then be able to go to her office.
K, this is a really good idea. I think both you and your DM need an assessment by someone not affiliated with the hospital / rehab facility. Asking for an opinion from a hospice physician might also be helpful.

The fact that your DM is not fully aware of her circumstance is not unusual. My wife volunteers in a hospice and she says many residents are not aware of their situation, or at least don’t acknowledge it, and that’s not an issue with hospice. Acknowledgement is not a prerequisite for admission or coverage.

My heart goes out to you . I was in the same situation with my Mom two years ago but I had two sisters to share the burden. The easiest situation would be to get your Mom in palliative care from there it is an easy transition into Hospice when needed .

Katsmeow--
My heart goes out to you, you are experiencing a very difficult situation.
My father was much the same situation as your mom for his last year. He spent more time in the hospital and rehab than at home. We had several instances where the medical team introduced the idea of hospice to my father. Once during an ER visit, once in the hospital, and once in rehab. At the time, Dad was not ready, however, we told him "it was for information only for the future, you are not dying now". That seemed to help. When he was ready he was totally in charge. He asked for all of us kids to come to the ER and he told us he was ready, didn't want to continue down the same path, i.e. rehab, ER and hospital stay , and back. We called in hospice and their team took over everything. It was a wonderful experience to see the support they brought to him. He was able to go home and we cared for him his last few days.
Take care.

From what I recall, when it was time for hospice for my Mom, there wasn't a focus on "you are dying", it was just the reality of discussions with her and her doctors (she was lucid most of the time) that there weren't any more operations/treatments available that were going to provide much improvement to her situation, or that they just had too much risk to justify.

Hospice was offered up as having more flexibility to keep her comfortable. And they did a pretty good job of that, far better than any hospital or skilled nursing setting that I saw. She got a much better fit on a C-Pap mask, a floating air/bead mattress, and she was back in her nice room in assisted living with lots of little things that add up to a better quality of life.

So try to look at it as a positive alternative, if you can.

-ERD50

Kat, one thing that really helped us when going through a similar situation with my father-in-law was to have a pre-meeting with the hospice coordinator without fil present to discuss the situation and what we believed to be his prognosis and his understanding of it. We then had a follow-up meeting with him that was led by the hospice coordinator. I cannot say enough good things about her and how she helped him and mil and us reach a common understanding and make a plan for the future, whether it would be a few months or a few years.

In our case, his number one desire was to go home (where he lived with mil), so we arranged for in home hospice. When he first came home from the hospital he was pretty weak and had PT and/or home health aides coming in daily, but as he recovered that dropped to a few times a week. Then about 8 months later he weakened again and hospice helped to arrange for a hospital bed to be brought in and we went back to having daily caregivers. He lasted another month after that, dying just before his 93rd birthday in 2016.

I guess my point here is that even if you think having you bring hospice in would upset your mother, it might be very helpful for you to talk to them anyway and get some advice for broaching the topic with her. I also wonder if you could talk to her primary care physician about this. She may be willing to do a "house call" visit to your mother in the hospital and make a hospice referral while there.

As others have mentioned, the hospice folks are very good at tackling the problem from a holistic point...it's not just about dying. The social workers that would do the initial consult are very good at "avoiding" the death subject, and instead focusing on keeping the patient comfortable and having as much quality as possible in the twilight of the patient's life. As they explained to my Dad, they prefer to get involved earlier so they have a "baseline" in which to judge how the patient is doing on a day to day basis. This relationship is better in the long run for the patient than going around and seeing a bunch of different doctors. It is also a great idea that you get her to her GP. When I took Dad to see his, she was in 100% agreement that a hospice referral was appropriate. I personally didn't think that he would qualify in the clinical sense, but he did.

As to the confusion, you mentioned that she had a plerual effusion as well as CHF. There is a possibility that the confusion (or issues with her mind as of late) could be from carbon dioxide retention. If her lungs are not working efficiently (as can be the case with an effusion) then not only is her O2 intake reduced, the expelling of CO2 can be reduced as well. I am certainly not a doctor, but my Dad has had issues with some logical processing, and we are fairly certain that it's from the CO2 retention.

As to the confusion, you mentioned that she had a plerual effusion as well as CHF. There is a possibility that the confusion (or issues with her mind as of late) could be from carbon dioxide retention. If her lungs are not working efficiently (as can be the case with an effusion) then not only is her O2 intake reduced, the expelling of CO2 can be reduced as well. I am certainly not a doctor, but my Dad has had issues with some logical processing, and we are fairly certain that it's from the CO2 retention.

This absolutely was the case with my Mom at one point, confirmed by doctors/nurses. Oddly, her O2 levels weren't too bad, they explained with the short breaths, she just wasn't expelling enough CO2 and it builds up. She got really loopy for a day or two. IIRC there wasn't any quick/easy/real-time test for CO2 levels like there is for O2 levels (checked in real-time by the ratio of transmission of two different wavelength light sources).

But that was a one time thing for her, even as she got worse, it was mostly loss of energy, she mostly seemed to retain mental capability. But every case is different.

-ERD50

KM, there is so much I could add -- my mom passed in December after about 2.5 years of decline due to CHF (failed mitral valve replacement). STRONGLY recommend you meet with the palliative care team at the hospital -- by yourself at first, and then with your mom if you/they feel it is right. Hospice really is all about ensuring the highest quality of life/level of comfort for however long the patient has. Your mom's diagnosis unfortunately is terminal. They can really help all of you figure out how best to navigate the rest of the journey in a way that will be smoother/more peaceful for all of you. And if she improves, she can go off hospice any time she wants.

Good luck to all of you....

Mom is being discharged to our home form the hospital tomorrow. She was offered rehab but doesn't want to do it.

The doctor (internist at the hospital) was sort of annoying in that he called me but made no real recommendation. Often when I asked a question he answered with a question.

He said she was ready for discharge because she was getting around good. I told him that she hadn't been getting around much at all except she walked (with the walker) from her bed to the door of her room. That gave him pause, but then she said that she was 94 so that should be good enough. I pointed out that she lacks strength to get up and down and he said she could go to rehab. But, then he said you had to wonder what potential she had for rehab.

Essentially the subtext was that she was 94, was going to move in with us so if she can walk from the bed to the bathroom that was good enough. He seemed to think that had been her prior level of functioning for a long time. I did mention that she had been living alone/driving two months ago. That caused another pause. And he said well I could talk with her and see if she wanted to go to rehab. I asked if he thought she should go to rehab or go to our house. He asked me what I thought....

Don't get me wrong. I don't think she is really likely to get back where she was 2 months ago. But, I think from his point of view she didn't have the pleural effusion any more, she could walk across the room and she has our house to go to if she doesn't want to go to rehab. He is focused on that and really not so much what happens once she leaves the hospital (which I understand since he was only seeing her there)

I did sit down with her and talked to her. I talked about how the heart failure is not going to get better long term. That is, she might get better for awhile but it will keep progressing. I did say that everyone says that what will help was movement. We talked about options. We discussed at length her coming to our house and doing home health versus going to rehab. I pointed out that if she went to rehab they might be able to do more therapy than she could do at our house but it wasn't going to help if she went there and stayed in her bed the entire time except for her actual therapy time. I said to really make a difference she would need to work on moving outside of therapy such as by going to the dining room to eat rather than eating in her bed and so on.

In the end, she decided to take a middle ground. She would come to our house and do home health care. She would also work on building strength in between and work on moving around more and eating better. She actually called in a nurse and asked them to bring her a snack and asked her to take her for a short walk. So, we'll see.

Katsmeow, you’re doing a nice thing for your DM. Hopefully with the assistance of the home health care you’ll be able to address her needs and allow her a comfortable stay.

Today was so annoying. I am so angry. So - rant started. I don't know how my mom managed everything before we got here. I am very upset with the hospital doctor's refusal to prescribe diabetes medication for my mom.

So -- as mentioned my mom has Type II diabetes. For awhile she was taken insulin and glimeperide diabetes medication. She also has Stage IV kidney disease. One of the hard things has been that some things that would help her kidney wise would be bad for diabetes and vice versa.

After she was hospitalized in March, she went to rehab and was discharged in early April. Two days later we found her fallen on the floor. This was due to low blood sugar (it was at 32 when the ambulance got there). When she was getting ready to go the new rehab (about 6 weeks ago), her primary care doctor (who had seen her in the hospital) told me she wanted so stop my mom's insulin. Basically her view was that my mom was having too many blood sugar swings. She also wasn't eating enough and wasn't eating the right things which would also cause swings. She felt that at my mom's age the low blood sugars were far more dangerous. She felt that my mom's overall blood sugar would be higher without the insulin but she would have fewer swings. So she took her off insulin and put her solely on glimeperide as she went to rehab. I don't know the dosage as this was done as she went to rehab and she hasn't been home until today.

A few weeks into rehab, they called to tell me her blood sugars were a little high so they were increasing the glimeperide. That was the last I heard. She was to be discharged from rehab last Wednesday and they would have given her prescription for the meds she was taking at rehab plus the "card" of pills that were unused when she left.

Well -- they sent her to the ER on Tuesday so that didn't happen. Wednesday I realized this and went to rehab to get her things but they refused to give the prescriptions since they didn't discharge us as planned. They said the hospital would give her the prescriptions. I did find out that a few days earlier they had changed her glimeperide to a different non-insulin medication. I have none of it.

I went and talked to her nurse at the hospital. I explained about the change in medication and explained that I had no idea what dosage of glimeperide she needs and I don't have any of the new medication rehab was giving. The nurse told me that in the hospital they would give my mom insulin since they could monitor it and it wouldn't swing wildly. She said that when my mom was discharged they would give a prescription for glimeperide or the new medication rehab was using or something.

I talked to different nurses about this a couple of times during the week. They all assured me it would be no problem. So, this morning I get a call from the internist seeing my mom in the hospital. We were discussing her discharge. I asked what medication he was prescribing for diabetes. He said none as diabetes is handled as an out patient issue. I explained the issue. I explained that I had no medication to give her as she had been taking insulin before and her primary care doctor had changed the medication but hadn't been able to write a prescription since my mom had been in the hospital/rehab (she hadn't seen my mom since she was in the hospital before she went to rehab).

He then said he felt the medication the primary care doctor had her on was too harsh for her kidneys. He said he likes insulin. I explained why the primary care doctor didn't want to do insulin since there was so much low blood sugar with it.

He then said that she really didn't need anything and should control her diabetes with diet and exercise. (Note my mom needs a walker to walk 10 feet to the bathroom -- not much exercise going on). He said that her blood sugar was 76 that morning so it wasn't high. I pointed out it had been over 400 during the past 2 days (I see those tests online). He then said she was swinging too much so the primary care doctor should decide what to do.

I said that was fine but I couldn't necessarily get an immediate appointment. What should I do in the meantime. He said it was OK for my mom to have high blood sugar unless it was "too high" in which case I should do something. I asked what was "too high." He said that if she was consistently over 200. Well I told him that she is often over 200 and was over 400 the last 2 days. He said to call the primary physician. I asked what to do if it got high at night or if I couldn't reach her (FWIW, I've since found out the primary physician is currently out of the country). He said it "depended". I asked how to know if I needed to take her to the ER. He was vague. He said will I could probably wait until the next day and then talk to the doctor. I tried various numbers to get an idea of what would warrant the ER but he wouldn't give me one. He just said it is complicated to decide. I repeatedly told him that I have no clue how to decide.

Finally he just said he wouldn't prescribe anything so that ended the call. I went to pick up my mom. The nurse doing the discharge said my mom has uncontrolled high blood sugar and that she was sure they wouldn't discharge her without diabetes medication. I showed her the list of meds and she was sure that it was wrong and said she would call the doctor.

A few minutes later another nurse came in who had been there while I was talking on the phone to the doctor. She basicallly just defended what he said. Basically said the other nurse was wrong and didn't understand what he was doing. She said that the doctor feels we just have my mom go without diabetes medication to see how her kidneys do and that it was OK for her blood sugar to go high. I pointed out that they hadn't been doing that in the hospital. I asked why they didn't do that in the hospital if they felt that was needed to be checked. She said they didn't do it in the hospital because her blood sugar was swinging too much so she needed insulin.

What was so annoying was that what the doctor was wanting me to do -- take her home with no diabetes medication at all -- was 100% contrary to what they were doing in the hospital (giving her insulin). My sense was that her case is difficult due to her kidney disease. It is hard for her to take insulin due to blood sugar swings but non-insulin medication has risks due to her kidneys. I get entirely that this is difficult to manage. What annoyed me was that this doctor refused to even attempt to manage it. It would be one thing if my mom had medication prescribed by her primary care doctor that she could take. But she doesn't since that medication was the insulin that her primary care doctor feels is too dangerous for her to take.

I was very unhappy with the whole thing but there was nothing I could do. So I did leave with my mom and called to get an appointment with the primary care doctor. She is out of the country but will back on Thursday. I have an appointment and just hope my mom makes it through the next 3 days.

Oh -- another annoyance from the same doctor. When I went to pick up her prescriptions the blood pressure medication wasn't filled. The pharmacy said that my mom's insurance wouldn't cover it but that they had called the hospital/doctor to give them the name of the medication they would cover. So I called the hospital and they said they would research it and would call me back. Three hours later when they hadn't called, I called the pharmacy. They said that the doctor refused to change her medication to the one insurance would cover and said he wouldn't do anything since my mom had been discharged. Again -- what is annoying here is that there was no way for me to find out that the medication wasn't covered until we went to fill the prescription.

I wouldn't worry at this point in your mother's life.

It's not surprising that the doctors would prefer to minimize medications to preserve her kidney function vs. strict management of blood sugar levels at her age.

If her primary is out of town someone must be covering for them .I would have that Doctor handle it .

Katsmeow, I didn't follow every detail of your story, but I also ran into these blood sugar level swings with my Mom when she was dealing with heart failure. And also swings in her INR (measured to follow the effects of the blood thinners - too 'thin' and they can experience internal bleeding, or have serious bruises and internal bleeding from even a minor fall). A few times, she ended up in the ER over it, and I could see that every ER episode was tough on her. They are weak at this point, and anything out of their normal pattern is stressful and just seems to take a toll on them. And an ER room is not comfortable or quiet.

Something I learned that might help:

Doctors/Medical Staff are smart, knowledgeable people, but they don't know everything about everything. In particular, I've seen (and an engineering friend of mine with medical issues experienced this too), some of them are not so good at 'process control'. They don't seem to understand how often to monitor something, and then how to apply the correct dosage to bring the condition back in line. My friend described it in engineering terms, that his Doctor would "hit the rails", which means if something is low, they may dose to bring it high, then it is too high, so they go with a much lower dose, and then it is too low, and on and on (also called an 'under-damped' system). He worked with them to moderate the changes, and try to stay in limits, rather than these wild swings.

I had to push for more regular tests of her INR (and got them), because it was clear to me that they didn't catch it going out of control, their sampling rate caught it when it was already critical. By testing more often, smaller adjustments could keep it in line, and detect things before they got so bad as to be sent to ER.

So something to consider, if this seems to match any of the issues you are seeing.

But unfortunately, as the heart weakens, more and more of the body's systems become more 'on the edge' and susceptible to problems, and the setbacks just become more common. Try to make the most of the good days, there were many days I'd visit my Mom, and she was just too tired to hold a conversation. So take what you can, when you can.

Take care of yourself.

-ERD50

Ugh, you must feel like you are running on a hamster wheel, all that thought and energy to basically get nowhere.

This is some fallout from your DM not wanting to do a rehab stint, where presumably they would have a better handle on a situation like this. On the blood pressure that might be medical issue about her kidneys and not stubbornness on the doctors part.

The stress you are showing in your last post and the complicated issues your Mom is having indicate to me at least, that it's time for you to make the call to hospice.

Take care of yourself too, that's important.

Last edited:
The stress you are showing in your last post and the complicated issues your Mom is having indicate to me at least, that it's time for you to make the call to hospice. ...
+1

A good hospice service (they are not all good, ask at an assisted living place who they like working with), will take a lot of stress off your shoulders.

One little example, I was going around with the oxygen tank supply company. It's so frustrating, they do this for a living, and it's critical, but they are sloppy and leave you hanging with poor communication, and create 'emergencies' that could/should have been avoided. At a time when you are already stressed and dealing with too many issues. Deliveries wouldn't be made, then they just stopped. Oh, she hit her max allowance for the month, she needs to get an O2 machine, not tanks. Ummm OK, would have been nice to know that BEFORE you cut off her supply of tanks! ARGGGGHHHH!

When I mentioned this as hospice was taking over, the nice hospice lady just said, I'll take care of that - and she did. And many other things. You need to be looking after yourself, spend what time you can with your Mom, and not be dragged down into these bureaucratic rabbit holes to hell! A good hospice service can deal with these things for you.

-ERD50

No one (certainly from afar) can tell you what is the right course of action for you or your mother. Only you can decide based upon the "situation on the ground" and the "facts" as you understand them. We can only relate our own personal experiences dealing with the final stages of life of our own loved ones.

What I will offer is an observation: be careful to not get lost in the forest while looking at the trees.

These events are terribly trying to put it mildly. I know in my case I had to continually remind myself what was my parent's main wish, which was quality over quantity of life. Otherwise, it became very easy to lose myself in the distraction of individual tasks on their behalf, which were akin to winning the "battle", but losing sight of the "war".

You are getting some good advice and I am taking it in also....

But I will let you know one aspect of our thinking on our mom... she had fallen and broke a part of her pelvis... it hurt to walk so she did not... the hospital was bad as they seemed to change her medications without telling us... skilled nursing was not good as they kept following an order that was too old and we were not able to get it changed for some reason... her last day at the SNF she had to go to emergency since someone had dislocated her shoulder (they would not admit it)... and emergency found her sodium level at a critical low level... so a few more days in the hospital...

So, at the beginning they asked about a DNR... I said it depends blah blah blah... but my sisters said we should have a DNR as each time something happens to my mother she declines another 20% to 50%.... that the mom we knew prior to her fall is already gone... and that she might not be able to survive anyhow... so we did sign a DNR.... if she passes it is best for her...

Some good news... we got her into a memory care facility and she has improved a good amount from the SNF.... she is now walking more... not as much as she was, but more... they have been working on her fluid retention and they keep me informed of how she is doing... MUCH better care... they have even said they are worried she will get bored as she is 'high function' compared to most in the facility, but she says she likes it and they take good care of her...

Agree heartily that you consult with palliative care. They understand better how to manage the meds for comfort/stability, among other things.

I have put my opinion out there already, and promise I will shut up after this post. Please give consideration to hospice. I understand your frustration, but I don't think that you fully appreciate HOW MUCH it will help. I am about to be very, VERY blunt...so if you don't want to hear that...stop reading. With that "warning" out of the way...your Mom is 94 years old. Think about that fact in and of itself for a moment. NINETY FOUR YEARS! And, your Mom is ill. Very ill. As a matter of fact, she is dying. That is a fact. She might be here for days, weeks, maybe months and years. But, reading your posts makes me think that it could be in the near future. I think that your mother's denial could be seeping into your thinking as well. Hospice folks are very, Very, VERY good at managing end-of-life quality issues...and they bring what all the doctors in all the best hospitals in the world cannot bring right now...CONTINUITY OF CARE. I am very sorry about your situation, it's a tough thing and perhaps fairly new to you, but this happens day in and day out, over and over and over again...let the experts help you help your Mom.

I have put my opinion out there already, and promise I will shut up after this post. Please give consideration to hospice. I understand your frustration, but I don't think that you fully appreciate HOW MUCH it will help. I am about to be very, VERY blunt...so if you don't want to hear that...stop reading. With that "warning" out of the way...your Mom is 94 years old. Think about that fact in and of itself for a moment. NINETY FOUR YEARS! And, your Mom is ill. Very ill. As a matter of fact, she is dying. That is a fact. She might be here for days, weeks, maybe months and years. But, reading your posts makes me think that it could be in the near future. I think that your mother's denial could be seeping into your thinking as well. Hospice folks are very, Very, VERY good at managing end-of-life quality issues...and they bring what all the doctors in all the best hospitals in the world cannot bring right now...CONTINUITY OF CARE. I am very sorry about your situation, it's a tough thing and perhaps fairly new to you, but this happens day in and day out, over and over and over again...let the experts help you help your Mom.

Could have written the same post, just didn't have the courage. Really believe it's time for good hospice/palliative care. Do whatever it takes to take care of yourself, K.

It is very easy to slip into denial when dealing with the death of a loved one . I did it when my husband was in the hospital dying and my Sister did it when my Mom was dying . It is just a way of coping with extreme stress . The only thing that got me out of it was a very blunt talk from a Physician and I am so grateful for his honesty .I agree with the recommendation of bringing in hospice .If your Mother improves she can leave hospice but in the meantime it will be so helpful.

I'm sorry that you're going through this. I've been following along and feel that I must also be blunt. My apologies in advance for the nature of the content, but you need to be prepared for the potential realities of trying to care for someone who is close to the end of their life in your home with little to no outside assistance from medical professionals.

When my mother was dying of cancer at the age of 48 in 1989/1990, she insisted she wanted to die at home. No one mentioned hospice or any other alternative of care to me or my grandparents.

It was pure hell, for us and for her.

My grandparents and I weren't trained health care professionals, but we were thrust into the role of trying to be nurses 24/7. To complicate matters, the last 10 months of her life, my mother gradually became paralyzed from the waist down. For awhile, we had to lift her from the rented hospital bed to the potty chair. This nearly resulted in injury, for both her and us.

As her decline continued, there was a trip to the ER, then a 3 1/2 week hospital stay, in which she had to be catheterized. She wasn't expected to make it out alive. One doctor asked how we were managing her at home. He expressed concern over the difficulty we had trying to lift her to and from the potty chair, but he offered no solution at all. Much to everyone's surprise, despite some close calls during those 3 1/2 weeks, she was discharged and sent home with a catheter that needed to be changed once a month by a home health care nurse.

That's the only time we ever saw the nurse, for those few minutes once a month.

We had to regularly empty the bag of urine, which was foul because she was bleeding from her bladder. Cleaning up her bowels was difficult because she was paralyzed from the waist down and couldn't be of much help in the process.

This became less of an issue when she couldn't keep anything down anymore, which came with it's own challenges, until she started slipping in and out of consciousness. The home health care nurse told us not to worry about it because she was near the end anyway.

We had to try to treat bed sores that had actually started during her last hospital visit and quickly worsened, despite all our attempts to at least halt their progression. A dime-sized area that looked like a minor rug burn turned into her entire buttocks eaten away over the course of 4 months. Regularly turning her, spraying the area with Granulex, all amounted to nothing. We went through several cans of that stuff each week! The home health care nurse would look at the progression each month, wince, and just tell us to keep turning her and spraying with Granulex.

Worst of all, for her, was the pain. When she couldn't swallow medication anymore, the doctor prescribed suppositories. It was hard to know how much to give her when she wasn't always conscious. She had gradually lost the power to speak even when she was conscious.

We knew that she was dying, but we didn't have the knowledge or the equipment to keep her comfortable. She suffered more pain than necessary, IMO. In a care facility, or with more than just a few minutes of home health care a month to change a catheter, she could have had her pain managed better. They could have kept her hydrated and whatever else is available for comfort care.

When she was home, it was like, "Out of sight, out of mind," as far as the medical professionals were concerned. It was worrying. I was reminded of that when you wrote about your frustration with the doctors and how you can't get straight answers about your mother's medications. I can almost feel how they're trying to just get your mother out of their hair and into your home, where it might become much more of a problem than you can foresee right now.

I realize that your mother isn't paralyzed as my mother was, but she appears to be losing interest in being mobile, eating, and making decisions about her own care. If she doesn't remain as mobile as she can, she's going to lose the ability to be, and that's going to create some of the same issues that we went through trying to care for my mother in her last months. Not eating, yes, she'll get weaker. Are you prepared to risk injury to yourself trying to pick her up off the floor?

And, yes, it can go on much longer than you'd think possible.

A shorter anecdote: My step-great-grandfather spent the last year of his life living in our home. He was 99 and almost made it to 101. He walked pretty fast with a walker. One day he went to bed because he didn't feel quite right. He didn't want to be taken to a doctor or hospital. After that, he only left the bed to go to the bathroom. Shortly, he couldn't do that anymore and in came the potty chair. Then came the falls. My grandfather almost hurt himself trying to pick him up the first time. Next time he fell, an ambulance was called and he was taken to the hospital, where he died that night. Time from taking to bed to his passing was about 3 months. It was a long 3 months.

A commonality between my mother's last months and my step-great-grandfather's last months is that neither of them would sleep much at night as it got closer to the end. They'd sleep/doze during the day and be awake at night. I had to work during the day and my grandparents, although retired, kept daytime hours, too. You can love someone, yet feel an incredible amount of anger and resentment over the situation when you're regularly not getting enough sleep.

Back
Top Bottom