MYGA vs CD for Part of Fixed Income Allocation

MercyMe

Recycles dryer sheets
I will soon have a jumbo CD mature and I have a couple more maturing later this year. I want to maintain my current asset allocation and so I could put the proceeds from the CD's into an intermediate bond fund. But it might be a better idea to put the funds from the CD's into several MYGA's (due to state insurance guaranty limits). I have a couple of MYGA's now and I'm comfortable with them. Today's rate for a 5-year MYGA from an A-rated insurer is about 4% and I suspect they will be even higher a few weeks from now when my CD matures.

I am interested in getting some thoughts from forum members on the idea of using MYGA's in place of an intermediate bond fund for part of my fixed income allocation.

Since you have some already, I assume you are fully aware of the various withdrawal restrictions of MYGAs. Of course, CDs have restrictions as well. I have MYGAs and have found them useful in enhancing my interest over CDs. YMMV

Hey Koolau. Do you count MYGA's as part of your fixed income allocation or part of your cash allocation?

I am very comfortable with MYGA products from insurers rated B or better. I generally categorize bonds, MYGA and CD investments based on remaining term. 2 years or less I consider cash for allocation purposes and over 2 year are lumped into a bond bucket. The only reasons I can think of for choosing a bond fund over a MYGA is to consolidate/simplify with a single company and ease re-allocation into stocks, etc. as opportunities arise.

Hey Koolau. Do you count MYGA's as part of your fixed income allocation or part of your cash allocation?

I have MYGA's and brokered CD's and definitely count them as a bond substitute allocation.

If I think about it, I suppose it's really fixed income, but I think of it as cash. Hope that makes sense to you 'cause I'm not sure it does to me.:facepalm:

I will soon have a jumbo CD mature and I have a couple more maturing later this year. I want to maintain my current asset allocation and so I could put the proceeds from the CD's into an intermediate bond fund. But it might be a better idea to put the funds from the CD's into several MYGA's (due to state insurance guaranty limits). I have a couple of MYGA's now and I'm comfortable with them. Today's rate for a 5-year MYGA from an A-rated insurer is about 4% and I suspect they will be even higher a few weeks from now when my CD matures.

I am interested in getting some thoughts from forum members on the idea of using MYGA's in place of an intermediate bond fund for part of my fixed income allocation.

I have many cd’s coming due in the next 12 months. Low seven figures, and I will be loading up on MYGA. Just keeping below the state covers limit. Going to ladder them just like CD’s. Probably go 5 to 10 years out. Good luck

I have many cd’s coming due in the next 12 months. Low seven figures, and I will be loading up on MYGA. Just keeping below the state covers limit. Going to ladder them just like CD’s. Probably go 5 to 10 years out. Good luck

Are you willing to share the name of your favorite INS Co. you use for MYGAs? I'm thinking about more MYGAs myself - not to the extent you are planning perhaps. I've found the sweet spot for best rates is $100K. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom