Mystery check from IRS

rodi

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I know... don't look a gift horse in the mouth.... but...

We received a check for $4883 today from the IRS.

It is not for this year, from what I can tell because:
1) our refund is smaller
2) some of our refund was to be issued in i-bonds
3) 'where's my refund' shows it's still processing our return.

It is larger than the refund we received last year... and, yes, we received that one.

So... free money from the government? Should I expect a letter explaining it?

What would you do? I'm afraid to cash/spend it because I think it's a mistake...

Personally, I would sit on it for a few weeks. Sometimes the Gummint puts the cart before the horse and you get a check with an explanation a few weeks later.

I know... don't look a gift horse in the mouth.... but...

We received a check for $4883 today from the IRS.

It is not for this year, from what I can tell because:
1) our refund is smaller
2) some of our refund was to be issued in i-bonds
3) 'where's my refund' shows it's still processing our return.

It is larger than the refund we received last year... and, yes, we received that one.

So... free money from the government? Should I expect a letter explaining it?

What would you do? I'm afraid to cash/spend it because I think it's a mistake...

Are you certain it’s the IRS? If you have an IRS account you can log in and should see the transaction there.

Edit to add: If you don’t have an IRS account, this is a good reason to open one.

Last edited:
I tried logging into the IRS and got stuck on the id.me not accepting my license picture. Will try calling on monday.

Oh - and yes it's from the IRS... US Treasury check and says "12/2020 TAX REFUND" on it. It also indicates, maybe, that $122.13 might be interest...

Last summer we got a letter saying there was a problem with our filing - We'd split the ACA PTC between our son and us since he'd still been on our policy but was no longer a dependent. I sent back a letter explaining, with the math, and pointing to son's SS# etc. Maybe this is a result of that.

I'll still wait and see why, before cashing the check.

years ago i got a check, took it to my CPA and said what's this. he called IRS, some one tried a scam... I now have a PIN each year, you have a pin?

A US Treasury check can be verified, here https://tcvs.fiscal.treasury.gov/

If assured it is legit I’d deposit the funds. If the IRS decides it wants the money back you can’t return an uncashed check.

Not questioning your knowledge, but WHY can't you just return an uncashed check?

You can. Here are the directions: https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc161

If your refund was a paper Treasury check and hasn't been cashed:

1. Write "Void" in the endorsement section on the back of the check.
2. Submit the check immediately, but no later than 21 days, to the appropriate IRS location listed below. The location is based on the city (possibly abbreviated) on the bottom text line in front of the words TAX REFUND on your refund check.
3. Don't staple, bend, or paper clip the check.
4. Include a note stating "Return of erroneous refund check" and give a brief explanation of the reason for returning the refund check.

I tried logging into the IRS and got stuck on the id.me not accepting my license picture. Will try calling on monday.

Having just signed up two days ago, I can say that ID.me is all about the light.

I found that using a lamp, with a compact fluorescent bulb and a lampshade worked was the only thing that worked for my license. So then walked over to a window for natural light for the facial recognition part. No go. Tried another window. No go again. Stood 2ft in front of that same lamp and bingo, worked fine.

... I’d deposit the funds. If the IRS decides it wants the money back you can’t return an uncashed check.
This. No angst, just be ready to return the money until at least a few months have passed. Until then, it's part of your AA.

My case is the opposite. I filed my return for a refund. Today, I received notification that a refund came in to my bank account. It's several hundreds less. I logged in to the IRS id site but can't get an explanation. Tried calling the 800 #. Couldn't get a person. I suspect it has something to do with the economic stimulus.

Having just signed up two days ago, I can say that ID.me is all about the light.

I found that using a lamp, with a compact fluorescent bulb and a lampshade worked was the only thing that worked for my license. So then walked over to a window for natural light for the facial recognition part. No go. Tried another window. No go again. Stood 2ft in front of that same lamp and bingo, worked fine.
I'm not familiar with the system they're using. Do you have to upload a photo of your license? If so, the best way to do it is probably to use your scanner if you have one, not to take a picture with your phone.

Oh - and yes it's from the IRS... US Treasury check and says "12/2020 TAX REFUND" on it. It also indicates, maybe, that $122.13 might be interest...

Last summer we got a letter saying there was a problem with our filing - We'd split the ACA PTC between our son and us since he'd still been on our policy but was no longer a dependent. I sent back a letter explaining, with the math, and pointing to son's SS# etc. Maybe this is a result of that.

I'll still wait and see why, before cashing the check.
Did your son receive a bill from the IRS? He may need some of this surprise check?

I'm not familiar with the system they're using. Do you have to upload a photo of your license? If so, the best way to do it is probably to use your scanner if you have one, not to take a picture with your phone.

I'm not sure if they have that option. The site, which I actually logged via laptop, sent a link to my phone as part of the process. This link had me take a picture of my license front and back and a picture of my face. It was very similar to the mobile check deposit process. In any case I don't have a scanner.

When I received one from them last week, below our names it showed what year it was for, 2018, and how much was interest.

I'm not sure if they have that option. The site, which I actually logged via laptop, sent a link to my phone as part of the process. This link had me take a picture of my license front and back and a picture of my face. It was very similar to the mobile check deposit process. In any case I don't have a scanner.

Gotcha. I wonder if there is an option for those without a smart phone.

Rodi - didn’t you post last fall about another mystery deposit from the IRS? How did that one turn out? Did the IRS send you an explanatory letter?

How I can sign up for the same mystery deposit program?

From my experience, I would not deposit the funds until I knew it was not an error. I would just sit on the check while investigating.

In my experience depositing erroneous IRS funds just leads to pain, though I have never run across one in individual income taxes, only corporate.

Maybe you got part of my refund.

It's like a giant white elephant gift exchange to which you didn't realize you were invited until the unwrapping starts.

Under our names it has

< 4 letters of name > FRESNO 12/20/20 TAX REFUND 30
INT $ $122.13

The 12/20/20 makes me think it might be from last year's tax filing.
I'm going to try bright light for the id.me later this morning...

Back
Top Bottom