Name a recent Rock and Roll song you like.

Greta Van Fleet

They are throw back rock - like Led Zep, maybe Rush. I can’t stop listening to them, really good.

Wow, just got to say this is an awesome thread:) I taught cycling classes for about one year, might do again well see. But, the best part of it was I did my own music and that pushed me to dig deep into spotify to locate as much new global stuff as possible and keep it fresh. Not all new, but good stuff doesn't go bad.

Jungle by Tash Sultana
Pro Ivanna Groove - Otava Yo (video is fun)
Mister Sun - Fun Luvin Criminals
Miss Sarajevo - Bono/Pavarotti (older tune but great)
Karpatskyi Rep - DhakaBrakha (find their videos, they like hats)

And yes, Greta Van Fleet is the reincarnation of Led Zep.

I look forward to checking out some of the suggestions provided on this thread.

Thanks for that, I wasn't aware of DeVotchKa but I really like them.
It made me think of DakhaBrakha, a Ukrainian band that came from some art center project - not rock, not quite folk, very eclectic - maybe you'd like them:

https://youtu.be/gGW7lLbx8kE

DayDreaming, I listed this band as well, I missed your previous post about DakhaBrakha. They are a riot and very talented!

Got tickets to see Robert Plant and Alison Krauss this summer. Really enjoyed their first album 'Raising Sand' :

Last edited:
Absolutely nothing compares to the good old rock and roll of years gone by. Music, like humor, is generational.

They are throw back rock - like Led Zep, maybe Rush. I can’t stop listening to them, really good.

Yes I definitely hear Rush/ prog influence on the new album! I feel like they are really coming into their own and can't wait to hear what's next for thrm.

I saw them at Terminal 5 in NY and at Boston Calling. A friend of mine travels around a lot to see them. I dont have the same dedication though I was happy I waited all day to be on the rail for the shows I saw, they were excellent.

I used to listen to Slayer, Pantera, and then lighter stuff like Nirvana when I was younger.

Now I listen mostly to conservative AM talk radio hahaha.

Occasionally I listen to classical music... Vivaldi's four seasons, Holst's Planets, Dvorak, etc.

Nothing worthwhile

My interest in R&R ended about the middle 1970s. The glory years of rock were from about 1967-1974 or so. Hate to sound like an old shyte, but if I want to hear good rock I'll pull up music from that era. It never gets old.

Elle King is one of my new favorites

I heard this young lady a few years ago when she opened for another group. I have loved her ever since. Very upbeat, rock-like, some country flair, a little bluesy. Makes me want to sing along every time.

(first time posting!). ((I love this forum. You all helped me retire last month at 57.))

For derivative music, like Greta, why bother? Just get the original Zep stuff.

Ciara? NFW, that is crap. Here is the Rock n' Roll bar:

There are lots of articles online saying rock and roll will make a comeback (soon), and other articles saying rock is dead. Welcome to the internet.

I can’t think of a current rock group. Unfortunately there’s a lot of synthetic music these days, and that won’t go away. Actual instruments and unmodified vocals are more and more rare.

Last edited:
For derivative music, like Greta, why bother? Just get the original Zep stuff.

Ciara? NFW, that is crap. Here is the Rock n' Roll bar:

I was recently recalling that the Stones put out their last great album, and possibly their best, "Exile on Main Street," 50 years ago. Their own sound was derivative of musicians like Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters and Fred McDowell.

I loved the Stones of 50 years ago. Would I pay to see them now? Nah. "You can't go home again."

I was recently recalling that the Stones put out their last great album, and possibly their best, "Exile on Main Street," 50 years ago. Their own sound was derivative of musicians like Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters and Fred McDowell.

I loved the Stones of 50 years ago. Would I pay to see them now? Nah. "You can't go home again."
Can't say I'm a big Stones fan, but their early catalog is filled with gems. I haven't paid to see any big concerts, but have been to a few in past 20 years. Yeah, I'm old.

My interest in R&R ended about the middle 1970s. The glory years of rock were from about 1967-1974 or so. Hate to sound like an old shyte, but if I want to hear good rock I'll pull up music from that era. It never gets old.
+1 Sirius XM and Pandora keep me going when I want to hear R&R. Much of what followed in the late 70s and beyond isn't even R&R. I would not include Disco, Rap, or much of the head-banging music as real R&R. That isn't to say there hasn't been some good music in the past few decades but it just isn't R&R.

Also don't forget the late 50s and early 60s with R&R "founding fathers" like Carl Perkins, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, some of the early styles of Rockabilly, etc.

Cheers!

I heard this young lady a few years ago when she opened for another group. I have loved her ever since. Very upbeat, rock-like, some country flair, a little bluesy. Makes me want to sing along every time.

[...and others]

Deuce Bigalow's kid makes good!

54321 and So Hott by Buckcherry.
California Dreamin' by Dirty Honey.
Wait a Minute My Girl and Shotgun Blues by Volbeat.
Mars Simula by Chevelle.

Most of the people I know that are my age still listen to '70s, '80s, and '90s rock / hard rock. I'm one of the few who will listen to the new rock station on the radio.

Started watching "Reacher" last night and this came on. She's a country singer but this is at least country rock. Jade Jackson, "Good Time Gone"

I'm not the world's biggest Guns N' Roses fan by any means, but this song (released in 2021) sounds as good as almost any track from their 1987 debut album...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom