NASA contractor retiring next year @59!

jomsviking

Confused about dryer sheets
I started the ball rolling a few days ago. Talked with my boss. Told him I'm seriously considering retiring in 6 months, and wanted to make sure it can be worked into his schedules.

His immediate reaction was to plead "no!" But then he confessed he had been considering retiring as well, after our current big project (3 instruments on one satellite platform). That project ends in a year at the latest.

He said he'd either retire or keep working, he couldn't decide. I said when it comes to projects, there's no good time to leave, the work keeps coming.

He has a good sense of humor, and joked about "you need more money, maybe some awards, what would it take to keep you here" etc.

I said I was telling him early, to give him the weekend to think about it and respond, and he thanked me. He said he was glad I wasn't telling him that I had some disease.

He's remained in good spirits the last three days, so I don't think I disappointed him too much. I'm hoping to give him the incentive to jump ship. I know he'd enjoy the retired life, and his wife (who is rich) has been prodding him to retire for years.

My particulars: My wife and I can live off of about $50k a year, up to 60k in bad years (family/friend/health emergencies, but my ability to monetarily help others will diminish post-retirement).

We don't have children or debt. I've socked away $800k in 401k, IRA, HSA, etc., about 60/40 stocks/bonds. We paid off our house. Our total net worth is over 1 mil. I have no other pensions or money coming my way.

My wife brings in about $13k a year— teaching part time. Most of my predictions (and FIREcalc) get us to Soc Sec at 70, with plenty left over. We live in a HCOL area, but we are both fairly frugal and we hate debt.

I have lots of plan B's in case the economy goes south, none of which I like — extreme budgeting, getting a job, moving, taking soc sec early... But I'm mostly running on hope and optimism.

My job is really good; I like it. But I feel the tug of increased freedom, and I want to enjoy it before I'm too old to.

The recent COVID events had me staying at home a lot from March through June, so it answered some of my questions about how retirement might feel, psychologically speaking. Would I like it? Would I feel worthless? Would my wife get tired of me hanging around the house?

The answers were all positive, and convinced me even further that retirement is the ticket. I love the home life. I eat healthier, and I'm more active. My wife is happy when I'm home, or when we can easily decide to ride bikes or go camping on a whim.

I haven't yet found a fee-based fiduciary financial advisor to check my numbers, but I feel that I'm pretty good at researching and calculating, and these kind of calculations come with huge uncertainties. We'll see.

Thanks for reading!

Back
Top Bottom