National Park Travel Advice Needed

DH and I are planning a trip in the US for August or early September. We can't decide between these four national parks, and would like your advice.

1. Yosemite
2. Yellowstone
3. Glacier
4. Grand Canyon

Which would you pick out of the four if you were us? And why?

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

I can't comment on the Grand Canyon as I've never been there, but I think Glacier beats Yosemite and Yellowstone hands down. All are tourist traps to some extent, but my recollection is that Glacier is better than at least Yellowstone.

The mountains around Glacier are beautiful. Whitefish nearby is a great town. Flathead lake has a lot of opportunities. Rafting.

But the main reason is the glaciers. They are disappearing fast. Grand Canyon and Old Faithful will look more or less the same in 20 years. The same cannot be said of Glacier.

We've been to both Yosemite (alot) and the GC once. I'd agree with the posts above that they are very commercial and crowded. To really enjoy them and to see more of what they have to offer you need to get into the back country which means backpacking - and I wouldn't do that in either place in August!.

DD

Thanks! I think we'll go to GC in early May and Glacier in mid-September. Should be moderate weather both times. I wonder if there's any trace of the flooding of GC left by May. It won't be hardcore hiking / backpacking though. DH and I are too lazy for that. :cool:

I went to Glacier national park last year, it was great. Get there before the thing is melted. Here's a photo I took on the way to Grinell glacier.

Attachments

• IMG_1703.jpg
    IMG_1703.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 8
I've never been to Las Vegas, either. I've never considered it my type of place, but it DOES have cheap flights from Minnesota, where I live. It will probably shave a day of driving each way, so it's probably worth the money.

Thanks!

We had never been to Vegas until this year. Spent 2 months in NM and AZ this winter, then stopped and spent 3 days in Vegas on the trip home. Suspicions confirmed, it is NOT our type of place.

In August the temperature will be nice in Yellowstone and Glacier (warm in the day, cool/chilly at night). Grand Canyon will be a furnace - go there in the early spring or late fall. Our son, daughter and a few of their friends spent last weekend backpacking to the canyon base and back up. Very strenuous 2 day hike, even for those in shape. Yosemite is very pretty but the crowds will choke you at that time of year.

Last year DW and I spent 6 weeks (Feb and Mar) in our camper traveling the western national parks, etc. Great time. At age 60 you can receive a Golden Age pass at the entrance of any National Park for only $10. It is good for entrance for all members in you vehicle and is good for life. One of the best bargains for seniors.

Thanks! I think we'll go to GC in early May and Glacier in mid-September. Should be moderate weather both times. I wonder if there's any trace of the flooding of GC left by May. It won't be hardcore hiking / backpacking though. DH and I are too lazy for that. :cool:

Days will be nice, but nights can get cold at Glacier by mid-Sep. Take proper clothes.

The South Rim of the Grand Canyon is too much of a drive from Vegas. Go to Zion, North Rim of Grand Canyon, and Bryce Canyon National Parks, but not in the hottest parts of the summer. From North Rim, driving east to Page Arizona, you will pass the Vermillion Cliffs--my favorite scenic place in all of Arizona. In Page, take both "slot canyon" tours. Having seen all those red rock formations, there you get to walk inside one of them. Thirty feet deep, only a couple of feet wide, think of a well lighted cave, water-carved into striped red sandstone. Then visit Lake Powell and tour down into the bottom of the 600' dam. In one day, you've gone from high green forest (fir and aspen) to treeless red rock desert with a huge blue lake in it. Like Dorothy said to her dog, "Toto, I think we're not in Kansas anymore."

My avatar is from Glacier. Great views. Been to all four. Yosemite if you are into John Muir and Waterfalls. Grand Canyon for geology and being able to look back 1.5 billion years. Yellowstone for the geysers and Old Faithful plus its own Grand Canyon.

Thanks for all your help! I'm heading out to the Grand Canyon in early May. Trip to Glacier and Yellowstone planned for September. Can't wait! :)

Update

Just an update, inspired by Sarah's post about Mongolia:

I made it out to Las Vegas, Zion, and the Grand Canyon in May, and just recently returned from a trip to South Dakota/Eastern Wyoming. Had a great time on both trips! Haven't made it all the way to Glacier and Yellowstone yet -- still on the to-do list.

Here are some photos from the trips, starting with Zion. Hope you enjoy it.

Attachments

• Zion1.jpg
    Zion1.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Zion2.jpg
    Zion2.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Zion4.jpg
    Zion4.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Zion5.jpg
    Zion5.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 2
Badlands and the Black Hills

...should be obvious which is which...

Attachments

• Badlands1.jpg
    Badlands1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Badlands2.jpg
    Badlands2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Badlands3.jpg
    Badlands3.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1
  • BlackHills1.jpg
    BlackHills1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 2
  • BlackHills2.jpg
    BlackHills2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 1
Great pics! The colors are very cool! I love the one with the tree in the foreground and the mountains in the distance--very arty.

Devils Tower and Custer State Park

BTW, we did visit Wall Drug and the Corn Palace, but I don't have any great photo to show for them.

Attachments

• DevilsTower1.jpg
    DevilsTower1.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 5
  • CusterSP1.jpg
    CusterSP1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 2
  • CusterSP2.jpg
    CusterSP2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 3
  • CusterSP3.jpg
    CusterSP3.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 3
And finally, the Grand Canyon

...which is probably my favorite, although it's hard to compare. The last two are of the Desert View Watchtower. Great architecture.

Attachments

• Grand Canyon1.jpg
    Grand Canyon1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Grand Canyon3.jpg
    Grand Canyon3.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Grand Canyon4.jpg
    Grand Canyon4.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Grand Canyon5.jpg
    Grand Canyon5.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Grand Canyon6.jpg
    Grand Canyon6.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 5
Grand Canyon2

A California condor, which I understand just came off the endangered list.

Attachments

• Grand Canyon7.jpg
    Grand Canyon7.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Grand Canyon8.jpg
    Grand Canyon8.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Grand Canyon9.jpg
    Grand Canyon9.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Grand Canyon11.jpg
    Grand Canyon11.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Grand Canyon13.jpg
    Grand Canyon13.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 4
Grand Canyon3

I promise this is the last one! :D

Attachments

• Grand Canyon14.jpg
    Grand Canyon14.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Grand Canyon15.jpg
    Grand Canyon15.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Grand Canyon16.jpg
    Grand Canyon16.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Grand Canyon17.jpg
    Grand Canyon17.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Grand Canyon18.jpg
    Grand Canyon18.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 7
Wow, excellent, GoodSense! Unbelievably beautiful and the macro stuff is fantastic. What'd you shoot that dancing one with to catch the motion so well?
And your colors are just fantastic. Thanks so much for sharing, they are really incredible.

Thanks, Sarah! I wish I were better at writing down where we went, people we met, etc. like your post. I guess I am just too lazy... :)

I have a little Canon SD750. Very versatile and not expensive at all. I only use maybe 1/4 of all its functions.

Traveling is great, isn't it?

You did really well with your camera--it is funny, we used the little $100 Fuji camera a lot on this trip, just because it was easier to hand to a stranger and say please take our picture than my big contraption.
You should start keeping a travel journal, it doesn't have to be much, even just putting down the date, the place, and what you had for breakfast can help jog your memory of a trip, years later.
Tell us about the brilliantly painted motorcycle...did you meet the driver?

Just out of curiosity, have any of y'all done the donkey ride down the side of the Grand Canyon? It's on my list of things to do before I die, but it's pretty far down. Mostly because I'm afraid I'll overbalance the poor little critter and we'll both plummet to our deaths. But I still want to do it :D

Harley

Sarah, we never met the owner of the motorcycle, although I'm sure it would be an interesting story!

I haven't personally done the mule ride, but know people who have. Apparently it is ultrasafe and there have not been one single fatality from it (compared with the fact that over 600 deaths have been recorded at the GC out of exhaustion, accidents, or suicide). Apparently mules are also much more comfortable than horses on mountain trails. The bulletin board at the Grand Canyon recommends making a reservation at least a year in advance, since it fills up quickly.

I wished we had hiked down to the bottom of the canyon. You need at least 2 days and a place to stay or camp at night. We didn't have that much time and advance planning. We went about 1/2 of the way down, which was still a lot but doable in a day.

Super nice pix, GoodSense! Thanks for sharing with us!
Just out of curiosity, have any of y'all done the donkey ride down the side of the Grand Canyon?
I always thought that would be fun, but I'm afraid at this point it ain't gonna being happening any time too soon.....they have a weight limit for the mules, and I reckon that I'd have to give that poor old mule a ride down on my back!

From their website:
Rider Qualifications

EACH RIDER MUST NOT WEIGH MORE THAN 200 LBS. (91 kilograms) FULLY DRESSED. Yes, we do weigh everyone.
Each rider must be at least 4 feet, 7 inches (55 total inches or 1.38 meters) in height, regardless of previous riding experience. Each rider must be able to speak and understand fluent English. Each rider must be in good physical condition. Riders should not be afraid of heights or large animals. Rider cannot be pregnant.

I meet all the qualifications except that weight deal......maybe if I'd inhale a half tank of helium it would help.:rolleyes:

Preparations:

Many riders will experience a great deal of soreness after having been on mules in the Grand Canyon all day. It is suggested that you not plan heavy activities for the day after your mule ride.

So I guess they're trying to say that it would really be a pain to sit on your ass all day......and by "Preparations:" I believe they inadvertently left off the "H". :D

Back
Top Bottom