Need Travel Ideas between Atlanta and Western Kentucky and Tennessee

Yes but he's driving there from Atlanta.

Smokies would work for us from Atlanta. We are not against diversions, and that would make it more on the way to Pottery Barn outlet store for DW. :LOL:

Fall Creek Falls state park and Reel Foot lake are both good and Reel Foot Lake has many birding opportunities.

Mammoth cave in KY is also good if you are into caves

Fisherman, sounds good. Do you know any good fishing in these areas? :) My wife has become passionate about fishing since ER. Thanks

Fisherman, sounds good. Do you know any good fishing in these areas? :) My wife has become passionate about fishing since ER. Thanks

Certainly. Do you want to target bass, trout, or striped bass? Do you want a guide?

If you end up going to the Smokies make sure you drive the loop around Cades Cove. Best time to go is early in the morning or towards dusk. More animals out and about at those times. Just an awesome scenic drive with a lot of history thrown in. Old homesteads, old churches and cemeteries and lots of hiking trails.

Cades Cove

Natchez trace parkway out of nashville is nice. Scenic drive, no billboards.
Falls creek falls state park east of nashville has highest falls east of Mississippi. 256 ft, excellent trails, 3 swinging bridges, golf. Lodge rooms on the lake for $85.

Shiloh civil war park is interesting and scenic.

Mammoth cave is a great park for hiking. Cross the river and you have most of the park to yourself.

Certainly. Do you want to target bass, trout, or striped bass? Do you want a guide?

Trout, we prefer something to eat if we are lucky :). A guide would be a consideration, especially since it is a new area for us. Thanks!

That's great, I like the Civil War history. Hope there is a place to fish nearby for my wife. :)

Shiloh National Military Park and Pickwick Lake are two top notch points of interest. They are located in south central Tennessee, north of Mississippi.

I am from Louisville, and live in Memphis now. I would suggest: Chattanooga (the aquarium is good), Fall Creek Falls, and Mammoth Cave. Abraham Lincoln's birthplace isnt that far from Mammoth Cave (have never been there). In Memphis, eat barbeque at either Rendezvous or The Commissary.

Great ideas. Might I add Ruby Falls? Nearby is Lookout Mountain, Georgia which overlooks Chattanooga. The town of Highlands, NC is not too far off your course. Maybe two hours from Atlanta. Both towns have lots of upscale places to eat and stay.

There are many streams in the Smokies to fish. The trout are native and somewhat hard to catch. Also usually smaller.

If you pass closer to Nashville one of the best places is the Caney fork river. If you are camping there is a Corp of Engineers campground below Center Hill Dam that is nice and you can walk down to the river and catch trout easily and some nice ones. You can also fish from the bank from the Dam to Betty's bend about two miles. If you have a drift boat that is even better. If they are not generating you can wad many parts of it. Generation schedule is available at www.tva.org.

The best guide is Mike Anderson in the area. His site is Caney Fork Guide Trips.

Another place to fish for trout is below Normandy Dam near Shelbyville, TN if that is along you planned route. The fishing is easy and wade-able.

Awesome!! Thanks, especially for the details.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom