Netflix movie or show suggestion

I watched Get Santa
last night and thought it was pretty funny.
British movie where Santa ends up in jail and Christmas almost doesn't happen.

But not on Netflix! DVD or streaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

It is on Netflix streaming here in Texas. Maybe a bit risqué for California?

I think the Detectorists was just added to Netflix this month. I watched the first episode last night--nice lowkey humor and interesting characters all around.

I appreciate all the recommendations on this thread--not sure if I would have known about this show and many others had they not been mentioned here.

Just finished Episode 5 of Detectorists on Netflix streaming in California. :)
Check the new releases list, Yakers--hope you can find it!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Found it, DW & I are enjoying it, thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I've been binge watching Nikita, Reckless and Transporter and enjoying those.

DW and I watched 12 Mile Road (2003 with Tom Selleck) the other night and enjoyed that.

We just started Nikita a few days ago. Definitely binge worthy.

I think the Detectorists was just added to Netflix this month. I watched the first episode last night--nice lowkey humor and interesting characters all around.

I appreciate all the recommendations on this thread--not sure if I would have known about this show and many others had they not been mentioned here.
Detectorists is most definitely interesting and humorous. I will probably get through the first season in the next few days.

After watching Sherlock, I decided to see Benedict Cumberbatch in The Imitation Game (2014). It also stars Keira Knightley and Allen Leech. The story of Alan Turing, who led the project to break the Enigma code, which provided crucial intelligence for the Allies in WW2. I like historical movies, particularly when their subject is science, so I found this quite interesting. I could empathize with frustrated scientists whose research funding depended on government agencies!

Turing was prosecuted and convicted for homosexual behaviour and chose chemical castration rather than prison. He committed suicide at age 41. In 2015, the Queen awarded him a posthumous pardon. Erica Knightley's character, despite earning a first at Cambridge, had to work away from the men, and was under the thumb of her parents. Western society has come a long way.

I gather that the film includes many historical inaccuracies and anachronisms, which are listed in IMDB.

This film, and the series The Bletchley Circle, have piqued my interest in visiting Bletchley Park if I am in the UK. All this was kept top secret for 50 years.

She is quite the actress. I was very taken with her performance in Last Tango in Halifax though her character was quite the screw up and necrotic at best, but still likable. I have just started River.

I wonder if she will make it across the pond in some American films. Either way, hope we continue to see more of her..

On another note, I watched the documentary
"Best of Enemies" last night about the debates between Gore Vidal and William Buckley which took place in Chicago in 1968 at the Democratic Convention. Seems they didn't like each other very much. Found it very interesting.

Last edited:
She is quite the actress. I was very taken with her performance in Last Tango in Halifax though her character was quite the screw up and necrotic at best, but still likable. I have just started River.

I wonder if she will make it across the pond in some American films. Either way, hope we continue to see more of her..

On another note, I watched the documentary
"Best of Enemies" last night about the debates between Gore Vidal and William Buckley which took place in Chicago in 1968 at the Democratic Convention. Seems they didn't like each other very much. Found it very interesting.

I first got to like Nicola Walker in the TV series MI-5 whose first series was in 2002. I think all of the series were shown on PBS, but I don't see them available either on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

For those in Canada a UK detective series I watched while there this year is Scott and Bailey. Suranne Jones won an award in the UK for her performance. It doesn't appear to be available on Netflix in the USA yet. I just checked and the first 3 series are available on Netflix streaming in Canada still.

After watching Sherlock, I decided to see Benedict Cumberbatch in The Imitation Game (2014). It also stars Keira Knightley and Allen Leech. The story of Alan Turing, who led the project to break the Enigma code, which provided crucial intelligence for the Allies in WW2. I like historical movies, particularly when their subject is science, so I found this quite interesting. I could empathize with frustrated scientists whose research funding depended on government agencies!

Turing was prosecuted and convicted for homosexual behaviour and chose chemical castration rather than prison. He committed suicide at age 41. In 2015, the Queen awarded him a posthumous pardon. Erica Knightley's character, despite earning a first at Cambridge, had to work away from the men, and was under the thumb of her parents. Western society has come a long way.

I gather that the film includes many historical inaccuracies and anachronisms, which are listed in IMDB.

FYI, here's a great site for comparing fact and fiction in movies that are based on true stories:

The Imitation Game True Story - The Real Alan Turing, Joan Clarke

And I love how they show images of the real-life persons compared to the actors.

After watching Sherlock, I decided to see Benedict Cumberbatch in The Imitation Game (2014). ... The story of Alan Turing, who led the project to break the Enigma code, which provided crucial intelligence for the Allies in WW2. ...

Turing was prosecuted and convicted for homosexual behaviour and chose chemical castration rather than prison. He committed suicide at age 41. ....

FYI, here's a great site for comparing fact and fiction in movies that are based on true stories:

The Imitation Game True Story - The Real Alan Turing, Joan Clarke

And I love how they show images of the real-life persons compared to the actors.

Thanks, that movie sounds interesting. I only learned a few years ago about that story of Turing's prosecution for homosexuality and it leading to his suicide. What a sad story and what a terrible way to treat a man who played such an instrumental role in saving Great Britain.

Related to this, I'm not much of a book reader, but I commented on this book a few years ago, related to this topic that I thought was excellent, and the author responded to a question I had and discussed here.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Code-Book...bxgy_14_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1R8230TVNGBYVKVZNTX9

Also, a general question for Netflix users: I saw this title was DVD only at this time. Is there any way to get an alert when/if a title goes to streaming? DW has a constant queue of DVDs (series that aren't streamed), I'd just as well do my occasional watching on a stream, so as not to use up one of her slots.

-ERD50

We just finished River. Though slow paced we both enjoyed it a great deal. For those who like the Marvel universe, Jessica Jones has been interesting as well. Daredevil was very good. And for the non-netflix, this year's Fargo was great. It is on the top of my list for the year.

I never have anything to recommend here. I think I need to start a "Netflix Movies to Not Watch Unless You Have Really Bad Taste" thread.

If you want some real finance comedy on Netflix watch "The Forecaster", as we did last night. What's funny is that the filmmakers meant it to be a serious documentary about a guy who predicts the markets with 99% accuracy.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I never have anything to recommend here. I think I need to start a "Netflix Movies to Not Watch Unless You Have Really Bad Taste" thread.

If there's a club, then you and DH are the charter members! Damn, but can he pick some awful ones!

We just watched the 48 Hours special on concussions and football, which I understand was the basis for the movie that just came out. It was excellent! The roommate picked it out, so I'm not sure if it was Netflix or on PBS.

Do it. Every thread needs balance.

Gone Girl is now available on Netflix Canada. It's a creepy thriller involving a psychopath. No spoilers! If you liked the book, you will enjoy it. Rosamund Pilcher and Ben Affleck star.

Last edited:
Two very different types of films. Did I discover these or were they already suggested here? We watch the first and then the second to relax before bed:

1) The Assets about the search for a mole in the CIA starting in the 1980's. Eventually they got Ames, link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldrich_Ames. This is the first season.

2) Detectorists some buddies are in a group that searches English fields for lost artifacts. Droll humor and we like it a lot.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom