New allergies or sensitivies as we age?

JoeWras

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Anyone else have some new surprises as they age?

Mine is "no-see-ums" otherwise known as biting midges. As small as a 1mm, but their bite can last with you for weeks, if you are sensitive. The bite is not felt, but the result is similar to the the later days of a fire ant bite with itching and a disgusting blister.

I think I was immune to these before, or perhaps it is just the moist weather we've had these last few years, and the fact I spend so much time outside. My first one from 2 years ago resulted in a doctor's visit because I worried about the slow healing. He didn't know what got me. After I started getting more, I used Dr. Internet to figure it out.

I'm also immune to poison ivy, although this year I got a very slight short lived rash. I saw it brush against my arm and washed it off 30 minutes later. I noted it and sure enough, a very minor redness a few days later. This came to mind when I was reading a surveyors' forum. Many of the surveyors had stories about how they were immune, until one day they were not, and then they suddenly seemed super sensitive.

I appear to have recently become lactose intolerant. Never had a problem before.

I'm also immune to poison ivy, although this year I got a very slight short lived rash. I saw it brush against my arm and washed it off 30 minutes later. I noted it and sure enough, a very minor redness a few days later. This came to mind when I was reading a surveyors' forum. Many of the surveyors had stories about how they were immune, until one day they were not, and then they suddenly seemed super sensitive.

I had this happen. Immune as a kid - I used to help neighbors clear it since it didn’t affect me.

Many years later I got a rash from poison oak out west. Then when I moved back here and have been very susceptible to poison ivy ever since.

That’s definitely true for me. I am allergic to crustaceans and suddenly a couple years ago I became allergic to fish. Now I am extremely sensitive to gluten to the point where it causes numbness and tingling whenever I eat it. I had no idea I had gluten sensitivity until I read it can cause tingling and numbness in fingers and toes (peripheral neuropathy). I stopped it and voila much improved.

Yep, immunity to allergens isn't a lifelong condition.

When I moved to central TX in 1985 I heard all about how terrible "Cedar Fever" was every winter. (Actually it is caused by the Ash Juniper, which pollenates between mid-December and mid February.) Never bothered me - until 20 years later when it did. Miserable stuff.

I have always had non-specific allergies throughout the year, that made me have chronic congestion, then led into asthma flares, but now I seem to also develop more rashes.
Did some testing once when early 20's. Mildly reacted to almost everything, Severely reacted to nickel. Dr offered allergy shots, chose not to get them.
Dietary-wise, lactose intolerant.
I have learned to adjust and avoid those things that cause me the most trouble, symptomatic wise.
The more you are exposed to something, the more likely you are to becoming sensitive to it, or so a Dr once told me. Who knows?

We've been doing nutrition, gut and organic acids testing in my family and most of the allergies and sensitivities seem to match up with something being out of range on the tests. Here's an example -

Mold allergies are linked to vitamin D deficiencies - https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/08/100816122122.htm

I've been spending my retired free time looking up everything out of range on everybody's tests, and the results have been pretty amazing. It seems like a lot of the answers to allergies and food intolerances are actually known and published in research studies, if you have the time to go through Pubmed and watch videos on organic acids testing all day. I've been able to reverse some of my issues already, like mold allergies and salicylates sensitivities, just from correcting the issues on the tests.

+1 Me, too. Everyone in New Orleans seems to have sinus trouble, but I didn't until a year or two ago. Oh well! :LOL:

When I lived in Florida, it wasn't unusual to find people who moved there moving to Arizona in short order due to the humidity. It isn't just the humidity either. The South has all kinds of pollen, some of it exotic from invasive species.

When I lived in Florida, it wasn't unusual to find people who moved there moving to Arizona in short order due to the humidity. It isn't just the humidity either. The South has all kinds of pollen, some of it exotic from invasive species.
I'm not sure why, but whenever I move it seems to take about 3-5 years before I become sensitive to local allergens. This time, it took over 20 years so I thought I was "home free"!! But no... that would be too easy :LOL: :2funny: :ROFLMAO: Oh well. Guess if I really cared I'd just move every 3 years, but I'm not going to do that.

I think the worst I ever had it was in College Station, Texas. I was living on Allerest (before they changed the formula). Loved the area, loved the people, loved the Aggie traditions, but I sure suffered from sinus problems there.

I'm not sure why, but whenever I move it seems to take about 3-5 years before I become sensitive to local allergens. This time, it took over 20 years so I thought I was "home free"!! But no... that would be too easy :LOL: :2funny: :ROFLMAO: Oh well. Guess if I really cared I'd just move every 3 years, but I'm not going to do that.

This phenomenon is scary in the context of bee stings. I've never had a bad problem with them. Yet I have read that one day, your next sting could be The Big One.

Too much humidity is bad, but so is too dry. Whenever I visit the desert southwest I get nose bleeds from the dryness.

Too much humidity is bad, but so is too dry. Whenever I visit the desert southwest I get nose bleeds from the dryness.

This is why people love seaside California so much. It has just the right mix.

My whole face bled a lot when I was living in San Diego! Not just my nose, but my lips, even my cheeks would bleed. I hated that. Didn't matter if I was on the beach side or inland, as many who have this problem in San Diego may confirm. I used a ton of chapstick and lotions, to no avail.

In my case, I think it was probably due to a combination of very low humidity and my own very delicate skin, or sensitivities to something-or-other in the environment there. This is one reason I love the extremely humid climate here in New Orleans.

My mom did. Towards the end of her life she couldn't go to church because of the perfumes people wore made her ill.

Noseeums are nature's way telling you to leave, them and chiggers are cruel creatures.

Last edited:
I've never had a problem with any kind of seafood. Then the last 10 years or so I cannot tolerate mussels. I don't have an allergic reaction like some people have to shellfish, I just can't keep them down. This happens with fresh or frozen mussels.

I can still eat clams just fine. I've never tried oysters as the idea of raw bottom feeders doesn't sound like a good idea. I'm in Ohio, so avoiding mussels is easy enough.

This is why people love seaside California so much. It has just the right mix.

I have to agree. Lived in the Bay Area for about 15 years and the climate was very favorable. But frankly it got boring. I missed real seasons. That was one (of a few reasons) I moved back to the Midwest.

Noseeums are nature's way telling you to leave, them and chiggers are cruel creatures.

I have now discovered this and understand all the fuss about them. :(

Another one here who was immune to poison ivy, until I wasn't, about age 25 or so. And at about age 40 suddenly became allergic to fish. Which is a bummer, because I liked it a lot. Now so much as a teaspoon of it will have me "sick as a dog" four hours later like clockwork.

And ditto the stupid and incompetent. The BS bucket is certainly full of them!

Another one here who was immune to poison ivy, until I wasn't, about age 25 or so. And at about age 40 suddenly became allergic to fish. Which is a bummer, because I liked it a lot. Now so much as a teaspoon of it will have me "sick as a dog" four hours later like clockwork.

And ditto the stupid and incompetent. The BS bucket is certainly full of them!

Not being able to have fish I surely a bummer for me too because I grew up on the thing and like it every which way.

I have allergies now as well, but I don't know to what. My nose runs for no reason and then gets stuffy. My mom developed some kind of allergies (sneezing/runny nose) when she turned 40 or 45. I'm starting to think though that people nowadays are allergic to a lot of things, and I don't mean just us old folks. Something is not right.

I have allergies now as well, but I don't know to what. My nose runs for no reason and then gets stuffy. My mom developed some kind of allergies (sneezing/runny nose) when she turned 40 or 45. I'm starting to think though that people nowadays are allergic to a lot of things, and I don't mean just us old folks. Something is not right.

I hadn't thought about it before, but you may be absolutely right about that. Seems like everybody we know is having sinus/allergy issues these days.

Back
Top Bottom