New electrical panel?

Around here, 200 amp service is pretty much the standard.
Also, that will save you a lot of grief in the future, not to mention the issue of trying to sell the house someday with the old box.

Absolutely the following:
1. Find an electrician who will explain exactly what the problems are so that YOU understand it completely. Otherwise, you're just setting yourself up to be fleeced.

2. Get at least three bids to be sure they are in the same ballpark, then choose the one you're most comfortable working with.

There are quite a few different breaker makers on the market. I do not remember which I have, but the last time I bought a replacement, I took the old one to Home Depot to match up.

I overstressed the one feeding the outlets in my garage. After several trippings of the breaker due to running an air compressor along with other tools, I weakened the breaker until it could not even hold against a single load, and tripped too early.

That's the right failure mode, compared to the Federal Pacific breaker that gets red-hot and still won't let go.

My electrician did explain the issue. The plug was not in the socket. It was not plugged in!

Mostly I only use about 160 killowatts a month. that will double in the winter because of being dark and using the furnace. Thinking of getting a LED light in front of the garage, but will ask about that later. It can't be more expensive than the Mercury one I had.

But I think I will start a fund for an upgraded panel - it was something I had on the horizon because of getting new heater in the future, but don't want to make a definite decision. But a new panel and move everything way far away from it's current location will have to be a savings project.

Actually those Federal Pacific breakers are still sold at Home Depot, which I discovered when I googled them.

My electrician did explain the issue. The plug was not in the socket. It was not plugged in!

There exist clips that can be put on plugs so that something can't be unplugged just by tugging on it. One way this is done is with twist lock plugs, but that does involve changing the plug and the socket. An alterative is a piece of metal so shaped to require that it be removed to unplug the cord.

Wow! I looked at the video, and the problem was with the breakers, not the panel per se...

Perhaps no other companies want to get involved and to step up to make a breaker that is mechanically compatible to go into the Federal Pacific panel.

Excellent point, NW - the breakers are the problem. And I believe you are correct that no one makes a breaker to replace all of the FPE breakers, enabling the re-use of the panel...

...Actually those Federal Pacific breakers are still sold at Home Depot, which I discovered when I googled them.

Though my panel is not Federal Pacific, this inquisitive mind must know the truth. So, here's what I have found.

Federal Pacific has been out of business since the early 80's. The current breakers being sold at Home Depot etc, are NOT manufactured by Federal Pacific since that company no longer exists. They are made by aftermarket companies. The FPE problems are not associated with the newer products.

That makes sense, as Home Depot would not sell a known bad product.

See: What circuit breaker will interchange with federal pacific.

This article goes on to say that the existing panel can be used with the new breakers, but needs inspection.

Back
Top Bottom