New Hampshire: any opinions?

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've been burning the midnight oil checking out New Hampshire--the Seacoast area specifically--as a place to move to. Granted, I have never even visited there, but I do like the demographics of older boomers, a lack of an overabundance of senior ladies vs. men (which ruled out Florida as it seemed to be 10 older women to 1 lonely old man), educational level and general fiscal health. Plus, everyone seems so very friendly in that State from what I can gather. And the libertarian leanings I like.
The closeness to Boston for cultural events and shopping I, also, see as a big plus as I loves me some symphony, opera and so forth.
And being near major cities, so I might study finance/the market better excites me. Where I am now the only thing I can do is attend a college course on personal investing (did it). I would love more access to studying the market, and, I am figuring, the NE coast is it even if I travel to NYC (close to NH).
Does anyone have any opinion on the Seacoast area of New Hampshire like Portsmouth, Durham, Hampton, etc. etc.?
Is this area waaaay too pricey for retiring in? I've looked at the numbers and they don't seem too out of kilter, but am I fooling myself?
I do want to start some small business there, but, who knows? I just might retire totally after I get there, so I have to consider all monies that go out.
With the beach close by and the mountains less than an hour away, various wonderful resort areas close by...and all those great NE cities (Boston, NYC, Philadelphia to DC) to antique and junk in...well, it has me swayed that way.
Any opinions on really living there and the costs incurred?
Know of any negatives I might not have considered yet?

Be careful not be buy too close to water ... property taxes are cost prohibitive. Portsmouth would be my pick (if we moved). Hampton is a bit cheesey in the summer. Durham is a college town (if I remember). If you have big $$ look at Rye.

Either way, can't beat being an hour from skiing and the ocean.

Isn't their state motto Live Free or Die? I kind of like that. I think they are the only state that has a right to concealed handgun carry, no license or permit needed. Also one of the lower crime rates.

Lots of people from Massachusetts move there and commute across the border to their jobs.

Mike D.

I think you really need to visit a place before you decide .A lot of places look good on paper but you wouldn't want to live there . I love New England especially Boston but it is expensive plus as Martha brought up it's extremely liberal maybe too liberal for some people .Also people tend to hibernate in the winter so you may be alone a lot but go visit you may love it .

I've never been to New Hampshire (I know, I know, THIS is the expert post you were looking for, right? :2funny:).

New Hampshire sounds beautiful, and the hiking and fishing have just got to be heavenly up there. Imagine how beautiful it is when the leaves turn! Wow!

From what I am told, people from Boston go up there a lot. If that is true, then it might be more urbane than one might first think. Would they bring yuppie attitudes with them? I have no idea but would be watchful unless that is what you are looking for.

You would really have to be comfortable with cold weather and snow, I would think. REALLY comfortable. Brrrrrrr.

REALLY comfortable. Brrrrrrr.

Well, the wood stove burns 2.5 - 3 cords/years ... another 2 at the lake. Yeah, we have a chain saw.

I keep forgetting about winter things until I visit my family in Pa. & N.Y. .You need coats and not wimpy ones and sweaters and turtlenecks ( which I like since my neck is getting a little saggy ) and sweaters and boots and gloves and hats and scarves and warm pants and flannel pajamas and slippers and a robe and ice scrapper and defroster and you need to start your car 30 minutes before you leave and that's if your car will start and snow shovels and mittens and snow blowers and fireplaces and someone needs to get up early and adjust the thermostat so you can save a few dollars on heat and lots of books because you may be traped inside and you are doing all this for a few extra single guys who probably winter in Florida ?

Summer humidity, mosquitoes, very weathered 'mountains' (coming from a diehard Northwesterner).

After lots of years driving MidAtlantic to mid-Maine coast, the whole stretch between Boston and Portland now seems to be almost continuous suburb. There is now a daily commuter train between Portland and Boston. Portsmouth NH is an attractive small city, but I think I would look further inland in NH, as the summer beach crowds all along than MA, NH, southern ME coast can be fierce. Many, many retirement and 55+ communities springing up in ME. Seems to me that real estate is pretty expensive anywhere within 100 miles of Boston.
Also, check out sunset time in the winter - 4 pm or so - and spring does not come until late May.

6 months of winter

Optimist.

I'd say "six weeks of summer". High property taxes but no income or sales taxes. Anything anywhere near the 20 feet of waterfront is swarmed, I say SWARMED with people in the warmer months (which is July 23-27th). Not a lot of high quality public services like snow removal and road maintenance, at least compared to neighboring states that exact an income and sales tax.

When you can get near the water in the summer, its about 50 degrees.

Unless you love snow and cool weather, it wouldnt be my choice. But then again I already ran away from that region 15 years ago...

We spent two weeks in Bethel, Maine a couple of summers ago and traveled through New Hampshire and Vermont. The area is very beautiful. It would be a very nice place to live. We weren't there for the winter, but did take the Cog Railway to Mt. Washington, where it was very cold, even for July. The one thing I liked about those three states, is that they were a lot of trees. From a positive standpoint, the cold winters are probably keeping New Hampshire from getting uncomfortably overcrowded, like say Southern California. You have to pay a price in order to have elbow room.

On a mid august hike through the NH white mountains, I had to slog through 3' of snow in the bottom of a ravine. In shorts.

On a winter hike in january, I had to dig down about 15' to find the roof of the buried wood shelter, and enjoyed a couple of 40 below zero nights.

Good times...

I am a lifelong resident of NH, and work in Portsmouth NH. Southern NH is becomming northern MA, with a ton of transplants moving up from MA. So, southern NH is becoming more liberal as a result.

Most of NH is pretty conservative, tho it actually voted democrat in the last presidential election.

It is one of the cheapest states to live in. Health care availability is pretty good, as is education level. Property taxes are high, but there are no sales or income taxes either.

Its hot as heck in the summer, cold as heck in the winter. Real estate is still very expensive, more so the closer you get to the coast. Not much of a public transit system. Lots of trees and winderness, especially norther NH with all its national parks. Also coastline, many big inland lakes, and easy access to mountains for skiing.

NH is a "shall issue" permit to carry state, so you have to apply and pay the small fee to get a permit to carry. VT is the state without a carry law.

Live free or Die is our state motto.

Durham is where UNH is located and is a small little town. Dover is nice too, and more affordable than Portsmouth. To get a real kick, check out New Castle or the areas around lake winipausaukie for super high real estate prices. Parts of Hampton are dumpy, like the downtown strip with all the arcades, fried dough stands (mmmmm!), etc.

Cost of living is higher up here tho. Housing, fuel, electricity, etc. I know it is quite a bit more expensive than SC where my mother used to live. Not as bad as CT where my brother lives (close to NYC).

Population: almost all of the population is in souther NH, probably from Concord NH down. The "North Country" is pretty sparsly populated. Lots of ski mobiling, skiiing, hunting, etc, up there.

Lots of subburbs in southern NH, where many live and commute into MA or Boston. Most have services like trash pickup, police/PD, good schools etc.

My town, which is small and 1 hour inland from Portsmouth, doesnt have trash pickup, has a volunteer FD, but full time PD. Hardly any crime, lots of wildlife, etc.

Some folks were actually trying to change the motto, since they thought it was too over the top.

Motto came from Gen John Stark.

I have lived in NH for the last 15 years (probably next door to Bimmer, from the sound of it). Very nice people. 4 seasons of activity, if you're into snow mobiling or skiing. More personal control of your tax liability.

I am tired of the winters and will likely move to a warmer region for my retirement.

BimmerBill,

What ever happened to the libertarian movement that came to NH? You know, they took over a town .... hope to convert the town ... then the state ... then the country ... then the world.

Just wondering.

I was off this computer all day yesterday, and most pleased and shocked at all the comments. Some were hysterical, some provoked thought. Anyway, you all made me think about some things like the cold-cold (40 below rates a WTF!).
My son, the future politician and poly sci. major, looked up the politics in NH. It is really odd as some cities/towns are Republican, some Democrat. Lots of Libertarians now, I think, from what I read. They still are very active and more are moving in according to recent news. Guess you can be anything there.
One thing you really need to do if you care at all about your tax rates is get involved in local politics as each city/town appears to set many of their own tax rates! This REALLY appeals to me after living in overly organized and (Outfit/Mafia-run/Daley-run) Chicago where the average citizen had little say despite the polls.
I had made a decision that the next place I move to I would definitely get involved in local politics. I was politically involved in Independent politics before in Chicago when I was in my 20's, and never had the time after that. It's fun, it's educational and you have a group of like-minded people working for the same goals.
The cost has me concerned as I know utilities are higher, and I cannot do without heat in winter unless I want to freeze my patootie off. This is a small concern for me, tho, as to just how high are the utility bills for a 1 or 2 bedroom condo (which is what I want really)?
By moving to an area where there is a train that will take you straight into Boston, which does have superb public transportation, like Durham, Dover or Exeter, you can keep your housing costs down.
So now I am down to the negative issues for me: the cold and how much cold can I take in Winter? And the high cost of utilities and food there. Is it too high a price?
It seems as even NH is getting many over 55+ housing, but much of it is manufactured homes. I assume this is because of the high housing cost there?
And, yes, I plan to visit there after my work eldercaring is thru. That only makes sense, but the preliminary work can be done from where I am in Illinois now--where it is 47 degrees in the day now!
By the way, the closer you live to Boston, the warmer it is there. The areas I am looking at are the southern end of NH, which never seems to get the very cold temps like the northern part of NH.
The people in NH DO seem very warm and friendly. But there seems to be a thang between then and Bostonians (well, they call them "Massholes," anyway, which I doubt is a term of endearment).
Personally, I am pro right to carry a concealed weapon person; however, in Illinois where I am now they will NEVER approve it (along with Wisconsin, the only other State). So, if Mr. Burglar breaks into my house and I have no approval then guess who goes to jail? Illinois surely isn't Texas when it comes to guns and one of the main reasons I would never stay in Illinois now (plus, all the taxing in Chicago, which appears might go even higher!). In Texas you have to take a course, pass the written exam and the actual shooting exam (you have to know how to hit the target, anyway) before you can become licensed; and, of course, have a clean criminal record, too. They just don't hand anyone a permit in Texas despite what outsiders may think.

Any information that anyone has on New Hampshire is so welcome and appreciated. I can get only so much from the computer.

Last edited:
We're in southern NH. Electric for a 3500 sq ft house runs ~$85/mo. Heat ~2k/year and we burn alot of wood thermastat never above 65. There's really only 2-3 weeks of bitter cold ... usually around late January or early February (stay in the house "cold"). More "normal" winter temps are 30's or mid 20's (very workable ... ski, snow shoe, skate, ice fish, snowmobile ...).

As far the right to carry ... the state took things a step further last year. They approved the right the shoot first. No need to see a weapon ... if you feel threatened: BANG!

Here's a link to the libertarian movement:

Libertarian group chooses NH [ Free State Project - Liberty in Our Lifetime ]

Let me see if I can quote what my son read about Texas changing the law without screwing it up: If you see anyone on or about your property--and you feel intent to do you harm--you can shoot. Can anyone correct me on this? Anyway, seems pretty darn close to what Texas has changed their law to.
When I talk to my friends I swim with who are mostly born/lived only in Illinois, they seem to think that if you allow guns then everyone will be shooting each other. Isn't so, but Daley has scared the populace in Illinois so much about guns that they will never approve the right to carry.
They will be afraid of guns UNTIL they get robbed in their homes (like I was). Amazing how fast that fear goes away when some scumsucker walks away with all your diamonds and other goodies.

Try visiting in winter

I have a friend who lives in Maine (not far from NH). When visiting there this year, I said it would be a nice place to retire to. He advised that I spend a winter there before making any decision. He said if you can stand the winters there, then it's a great place to live. If not, then the six months of winter are unbearable.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom