New Variant Vaccine

My bivalent is scheduled for next Tues. at CVS. I keep reading that this formula has not been tested on humans. I'd appreciate someone who's researched this formula more than I have to reassure me of the vaccine's safety.

The article I read is on Medscape and there are differing opinions about its effectiveness and safety. We traveled recently to Montana. Very few (maybe 3 or 4 people) on the plane wore masks. The airports were very crowded, again with few masks. We've not had symptoms so far (got back Saturday 9/3). Friends who've had the variant said felt like a cold. The article in Medscape said 50% of positives did not know they had it. Little or no symptoms. I'm asking for encouragement, scientific knowledge this new vaccine is good.

This article addresses the question. Short answer, it's just like the annual flu vaccine, where they change the variant without doing all new clinical trials.

https://www.healthline.com/health-n...oster-was-authorized-before-testing-on-people

I'm getting one next week. Questions of effectiveness are irrelevant to me. Even if it offers only a small increase in protection against hospitalization and death, I'm still in favor.

Last edited:
This article addresses the question. Short answer, it's just like the annual flu vaccine, where they change the variant without doing all new clinical trials.

https://www.healthline.com/health-n...oster-was-authorized-before-testing-on-people

I'm getting one next week. Questions of effectiveness are irrelevant to me. Even if it offers only a small increase in protection against hospitalization and death, I'm still in favor.

Thank you. Our community is experiencing a high rate of infection since the university students returned. Our local health dept. put out a warning. The article you shared made a difference. I don't know why Medscape is so skeptical.

Made an appointment for tomorrow. I've got a lot of exposure coming up next month in disaster relief work. We experience high intensity close exposure with many people, so I figure I'll get it.

The local pharmacy we go to has plenty of slots open tomorrow. In the past campaigns, they'd fill up weeks ahead. Seems like there isn't much general excitement to get this one.

Got it this morning at CVS. My 5th jab for COVID. Need to wait until tomorrow to comment on soreness, but none right now unless I push on the area. Never had an issue with COVID vaccines.

My greatest soreness had been a Tetanus shot until I got the Shingrix vaccine. Both doses really caused a sore arm for days.

Got it this morning at CVS. My 5th jab for COVID. Need to wait until tomorrow to comment on soreness, but none right now unless I push on the area. Never had an issue with COVID vaccines.

My greatest soreness had been a Tetanus shot until I got the Shingrix vaccine. Both doses really caused a sore arm for days.

So true about the Tetanus shot. The Covid shots have not bothered me much and I did not have much trouble with the Shingrix shots but the last Tetanus shot really got me, I was down for days and could not even move my arm.

So true about the Tetanus shot. The Covid shots have not bothered me much and I did not have much trouble with the Shingrix shots but the last Tetanus shot really got me, I was down for days and could not even move my arm.

I wonder if you ask the pharmacist to inject a different muscle, they'll do it. Like the thigh or another muscle. Has anyone done that?

I understand the points about not waiting but think will probably wait to start of October (I had second booster at start of April).

However, we are due to have our second Shingrix. We had the first one at the same time we had the booster. So we could do the second at the same time also.

If we decide to do the Shingrix by itself does anyone know how long you should wait (if at all) after having it and having this new vaccine (we will have Moderna).

DW and I got the Moderna bivalent and flu shot 27 hours ago. She got a very sore arm, big headache, and is currently napping. I have a minor sore arm and feel just a little off. My symptoms are significantly milder than previous Moderna vaccines and boosters.

I had mine bivalent booster at CVS about 17 hours ago. My 4th shot overall. Thus far the pain in the arm is far less than thots 1 to 3. The side effects thus far are 1/2 of the last shot.. After lunch I feel tired, but that is also a function of a large lunch.

The Shingrix shot, btw, was far worse than any of the 4 COVID shots (thus far).

I had an appointment for a bivalent shot yesterday at Safeway and when I got there, they did not have it yet! This in spite of the web page that said they did. So, I called Walgreen instead to confirm and will get mine today.

Our pharmacist called and told us they didn't have Moderna yet. Gonna try next week. At least we didn't waste a trip.

Has anyone seen data if this new Moderna shot actually prevents infection from BA.5? I haven’t seen claims to that effect broadcast which makes me wonder. Not sure I want to get it unless it’s effective at prevention of infection. Thanks.

The Shingrix shot, btw, was far worse than any of the 4 COVID shots (thus far).

I've only had minor soreness at the injection site for the 4 COVID chots thus far.

No Shingrix, but what concerns me about it are the reports of it causing/increasing tinnitus, which is bad enough for me already.

Has anyone seen data if this new Moderna shot actually prevents infection from BA.5? I haven’t seen claims to that effect broadcast which makes me wonder. Not sure I want to get it unless it’s effective at prevention of infection. Thanks.
I always thought prevention of serious illness, hospitalization, death, and long COVID all make the vaccination worthy of having as well.

Through Delta, the vaccines did reduce infections.

Omicron is just too immune-evasive.

So the hope is that Omicron-targeted vaccines would return to the situation before Omicron, when vaccines protected to some extent against infection.

Maybe as the data comes in from this booster campaign, we'll get some good news.

Otherwise, we have to hope for a new generation of vaccines, including nasal vaccines, to try to protect much better vs. infection.

Thanks explanade. So, I guess it’s not known yet. Sure hope it does. Guess I’ll wait and see.

I may be wrong, but it seems the Covid vaccines were initially promoted as stopping infections, but it became apparent as time went on they act to only decrease serious illness, not prevent infection. I would certainly accept preventing more serious illness as the benefit for taking the shot.

I may be wrong, but it seems the Covid vaccines were initially promoted as stopping infections, but it became apparent as time went on they act to only decrease serious illness, not prevent infection. I would certainly accept preventing more serious illness as the benefit for taking the shot.

Test data indicated the Covid vaccines did help prevent infection initially, but the virus has mutated since then. The more recent Covid strains are much more contagious than the initial forms.

Last edited:

They were FDA approved on the basis of reducing serious infection and death. I'm not sure who you are referring to as promoting them as infection prevention.

They were FDA approved on the basis of reducing serious infection and death. I'm not sure who you are referring to as promoting them as infection prevention.

There were reports like this from the CDC, published March 21, 2021, CDC Real-World Study Confirms Protective Benefits of mRNA COVID-19 Vaccines: https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/p0329-COVID-19-Vaccines.html

The first sentence states, "A new CDC study provides strong evidence that mRNA COVID-19 vaccines are highly effective in preventing SARS-CoV-2 infections in real-world conditions among health care personnel, first responders, and other essential workers."

Last edited:

Very briefly, but not for well over a year. Once the virus strains became different (delta, omicron, etc.) that ship sailed. No doubt they do block some infections, but it's not been marketed as "take the shot you'll be immune" in a very long time.

That's why the new one has more benefit than a simple booster, since it is more tailored to the new variants, it is reasonable to expect it might act as more of a barrier for some folks.

There were reports like this from the CDC, published March 21, 2021, CDC Real-World Study Confirms Protective Benefits of mRNA COVID-19 Vaccines: https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/p0329-COVID-19-Vaccines.html

The first sentence states, "A new CDC study provides strong evidence that mRNA COVID-19 vaccines are highly effective in preventing SARS-CoV-2 infections in real-world conditions among health care personnel, first responders, and other essential workers."

That report was true in early 2021. The vaccines did prevent a lot of infection/transmission initially. Then with Delta which was far more contagious we got breakthrough infections in close settings with long exposure such as family household. Then waning immunity started to play a role. Then Omicron which is drastically more contagious pretty much blew everything out of the water. We were very fortunate that the vaccines still mostly prevent the worst outcomes of Covid in terms of severe disease, hospitalization, and death.

Last edited:
That report was true in early 2021. The vaccines did prevent a lot of infection/transmission initially. Then with Delta which was far more contagious we got breakthrough infections in close settings with long exposure such as family household. Then waning immunity started to play a role. Then Omicron which is drastically more contagious pretty much blew everything out of the water. We were very fortunate that the vaccines still mostly prevent the worst outcomes of Covid in terms of severe disease, hospitalization, and death.

I agree.

Last edited:
I had an appointment for a bivalent shot yesterday at Safeway and when I got there, they did not have it yet! This in spite of the web page that said they did. So, I called Walgreen instead to confirm and will get mine today.
Got my Pfizer shot yesterday and still feel fine and almost no arm soreness.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom