Newby - Paranoid it's not enough to call it quits at 53

I think they make a couple of drugs that can help with paranoia. Otherwise, what are you waiting for man?

All good input. There are two things that I focused on, and still do: 1) healthcare costs , and 2) inflation. I will also add one big factor that I'm beginning to realize: age 55 is a much better place to be than age 65. I can tell a huge difference, and I'm in good shape. Would you rather give the better part of the next ten years to an employer, or have that precious time to use the way YOU want to. To me that's worth a little financial risk taking. Good luck.

In addition, in another two years will be eligible to start collecting a pension of around 51k. Without living an overly extravagant lifestyle what are the experts thoughts on being able to call it quits from their experiences..

Do you to have to w#rk for 2 more yrs to be eligible for that $51k pension, or are you already vested? Worst case seems to me like you tough it out for a couple yrs then pull the plug and enjoy your freedom.

Thanks you all for the information and encouragement...

I think for me the issue is I have always been a "what if" scenario guy. As a computer geek my life has been a giant if, then, else, elseif statement. And it is probably fear as much as anything which has kept me from bailing out, not of what I will do but of not completely hedging my bets.

MichaelB-pension plus savings, I did not include SS in the calcs

heyy_Joe-I think those drugs could get me arrested ;)

bjorn2bgy-like the karma aspect and have actually thought in those regards, besides dead and well off won't do me any good.

ERhoosier-I can leave today but won't collect for two more years which isn't a problem

Accidental - I might not be able to break from a lifetime of being out the door by 6 am, but would like to try it on for size

tiaghtas- Can't you see yourself in the nursing home saying, " Darn! Wish I'd spent more time at the office instead of wasting time with family and friends." Kind of like saying Hey, root canals aren't so bad...."

I think for me the issue is I have always been a "what if" scenario guy. As a computer geek my life has been a giant if, then, else, elseif statement. And it is probably fear as much as anything which has kept me from bailing out, not of what I will do but of not completely hedging my bets.

As someone who just got RIFfed at the beginning of this month, I can relate. I was increasingly looking at the door marked "exit" and thinking I'd be going through soon. But when? Next year? Two years? Five years? Is it even feasible, just maybe, for me to go through it NOW?

In some ways, getting "pushed" out the door was a blessing, as it eliminates a source of stress and indecision in my life -- when is it "time"? -- and helped avoid another case of "one more year" syndrome... :D

What doesn't add up?

What doesn't add up, now I am a little concerned. My job is causing me physical issues and the oldest anyone in my family has ever lived was 79. Or is it the numbers which aren't adding up?

Sorry, I misunderstood your previous post (I thought you were predicting another 30 years, rather than saying that you'd be very happy with that outcome).

I would be out the door today! Firecalc says I need another year yet! And I like my job!

So, what do you want to do?

There are things you can do and things you cannot do. We are always money-limited.

You seem to have a grip on your income. How do you want to spend it? How big are the changes do you want to endure after checking out?

You say you are a "what if" guy....What if you keel over and go before you take the retirement plunge?
If you have enough now...leave....it really is that simple.

Back
Top Bottom