Nice Cars... is it a vice?

DawgMan

Full time employment: Posting here.
So like most here, I worked the blue color ethic and lived a life of frugality to hit my RE number. I have been fortunate along the way and while still practicing a T-shirt and jeans mentality, I have a big vice... I like nice cars. While my practical frugal gland is always pumping, my "you deserve this, you worked hard for this" little devil gets the best of me with cars. For my DW, it's shoes and clothes, me, I am a softy for nice sled. I do check to make sure my indulgence does not not wreck the master plan, but I do like to "justify" my purchase in the end. Hey, I do pay cash so financing/leasing is not an option for me. I know this goes against the culture here, but don't be a hater... come on Robbie!!! I will start...

Bought DW mid 2019 a new BMW X5 all tricked out (I justified it with the fact that she keeps a her cars 5 - 8 yrs and I the new tax laws give me 100% write off)

Two days ago, I bought myself a 2019 Mercedes AMG GT 53 (Hey, it had 6K miles on it so it was "used" so I saved over $25K off the MSRP!)

What is your car(s)?

2009 Subaru Forester XT, modified, tuned, lifted, E85 map
2013 Subaru Forester XT, bone stock
1995 Pontiac Firehawk, numbered, bone stock
1974 Ford F100 XLT Ranger, 460 C6, 90% restored
2008 EZGO RXV - 19mph

Good for you!

I bought me a brand new 2019 Impala built to my spec and paid list minus a grand. First new car I ever bought.

Then wifey's car died on the road so she has a 2018 Subaru Outback that cost 35 grand.

Between the 2 of them they'll add up to what the landscaping is gonna cost - :)

Blow That Dough!

2019 Mazda CX5
2011 BMW Z4
2018 Mazda 3 (brother)
2007 Honda Civic (DGF son)

No car loans.

2005 Honda Civic - manual trans, 150,000km (93,000 miles). OK, OK, we're exhibitionists.

Audi Q3, but it was a 1 year old CPO and I got a great deal. I like a small SUV, haven't had a car-car in this millennium. I like leather, sunroof, and would not not have those again.

DH has a subaru BRZ, he likes the sporty roadster types. I think it's a 2013 or 14? He has less than 50k miles on it. We keep cars about 10 years.

I think it's one thing to spend a lot on a car you love (and I don't judge at all), but where cars really get expensive is when folks don't keep them, and keep buying new ones every other year.

We grew up in a GM family. I might spring for a BMW or a Lexus some day, but my mother in law is still alive and it would be an insult to my father in laws memory so it will have to wait.

For now, DW has a 2017 Equinox and I have a 2018 Silverado. The hard part for me is realizing at the number of miles we drive, we could keep these vehicles for 15 years. That may work for DW, but I have the new car vice too. When working, I got a new car every two years. I’m thinking I’ll keep the truck until the extended warranty runs out which is 6 years or 100K miles. I think the years will come before the miles.

Never been interested in cars. I buy cars like I buy a washing machine: how big a load will it do, how many cycles will it last, how much maintenance? That said, if this is what brings you pleasure and it doesn't impede your financial plan, have at it. If prices limbo lower in the next year I will drop some coin on a chunk of land. An extravagance, but something I have always wanted.

Damn things make no sense... other than personal fulfillment! My last car was a 2015 BMW 650 Gran Coupe. Once you taste the sugar, it's hard to go back!

2018 Audi A4 CPO bought in November. Mostly stayed in the garage for the winter, then for COVID. Premium plus, black optics package, sport package. First owner traded it back in to the dealer for an S4. Looking at those for the next upgrade, but that will be years out.

But I also have 2 motorcycles in the garage. Both bought brand new.

Two wheels make my heart beat faster than 4 do - :)

5 old classic vehicles. 5 newer daily driver type. 1 higher end motorhome.

So yeah I spend a lot on vehicles. Not so much into new luxury or performance cars, although I do like them. Just prefer older hot rods.

My first word was “wheel” - honest. As a toddler I played with Dinky and Corgi toy cars for hours (anyone remember those). I read Road & Track every month. I followed Formula 1. My Dad has an Austin Healey 3000 Mk1. I loved cars throughout my childhood. By the time I could afford nice cars, I didn’t want to spend the money, the nicest cars we allowed ourselves were are new BMW 325i and an Audi TT. We still buy new, but nothing special, Honda’s, Toyota’s mostly.

But I well understand the attraction with nice cars. We owned 5 sailboats, the last one cost more than any Porsche you could buy.

Most of us have vices...makes life more fun.

Last edited:
My idea of ultimate luxury in a car, is a car that doesn't break down and seldom if ever needs repairs. I like not having to waste my time getting repairs done.

My car is a 2009 Toyota Venza that I bought new in January of 2010. I haven't seen any new car (at any price) that I would like better. It has all the features I want, it is easy to drive, it has lots of cargo space, and it only has 32K miles on it. Presently my plan is to drive it a while longer.

Attachments

• Venza640x480.jpg
    Venza640x480.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 76
We are the opposite of a nice car family.

We still have the 2004 Toyota Solara convertible. Has 150k miles on it and is very tired inside and out. Second car is a reject kid college car, a 2011 (I think) Mazda 3. Went through university with two kids and definitely feels all of it’s 140k miles.

Our “best” car, a 2012 VW Jetta is actually on the other side of the country with our youngest daughter. She is in university so scored the best of the breed.

We tend to suck every mile out of a car!

Oh and I still have my old 1955 VW bug in my shop to get me around should any of those “new” cars crap out and a restored 1970 Triumph motorcycle as a back up if that VW ever dies.

Love cars, but tend to find good values, because I prefer specific models.

Like my blue 2003 BMW 530, last year of the E39. I have owned it 4 years. In amazing condition . Previously I owned a 1997 BMW 528, this was the first year of the E39. I owned that one about 18 years. Both very sweet cars.

Now I am shopping for a 4Runner to add for my adventures.

Invest hard play hard and if the DOW hits 30k then I will add F-car. We spec. out this car Targa 4GTS and paid cash thanks to Mr. Market.

Attachments

• FD65FE74-C399-4425-A85A-EABE2032D4D6.jpeg
    FD65FE74-C399-4425-A85A-EABE2032D4D6.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
.......... I bought new in January of 2010........... it only has 32K miles on it. Presently my plan is to drive it a while longer.
:LOL: Yea, you might be able to nurse it along a few more years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since my first car, practicality has overruled my love of nice cars.
Sometimes consider buying a classic that I could enjoy a couple years then hopefully sell after minimal depreciation/maintenance cost.
Or, if "bad news" someday from the doc allows time to indulge myself awhile first, would have a nice one to post in this thread!

Nobody into nice cars should be an apologist. See no difference between that and taking expensive vacations, owning a beautiful home, etc. If you want and can afford a nice car, good for you!

Into my 60's, and very appealing to have something respond with a hearty roar and push me back into my seat when I put my foot down! Actually, appreciate any response when I put my foot down;)

My car is a 2009 Toyota Venza [...] it only has 32K miles on it. Presently my plan is to drive it a while longer.
:LOL: Yea, you might be able to nurse it along a few more years.

:ROFLMAO: Well, that is what I am thinking, too! :D Being a Toyota, it really hasn't spent any time in the shop yet. That's my idea of luxury - - always having it right here in the garage, and available to me at a moment's notice whenever I want to go somewhere.

Actually, appreciate any response when I put my foot down;)

To paraphrase Bo Diddley when I mentioned 'groupies' to him, circa 1967 in Toronto, "My ol' woman'd kill me" (If I tried to put my foot down.) :)

2017 F150 and 2001 corvette. Drive the truck 99% of the time. Only take the car locally when weather is ok to go topless.

2017 Subaru Outback. My daily driver. 24k mi. No plan to replace anytime soon.

2015 Subaru Impreza. DW daily driver. 44k mi. No plan to replace anytime soon.

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4. Bought new in 01, will hit 20 in January. Only drive it about 1,000 mi/yr, but I have a long driveway and I plow it myself with a Meyer ST 7.5 plow. Also with 20 acres a truck comes in handy from time to time. Truck just turned 100k mi and currently runs good, but looming problems are piling up (axle seals, body rust, SES codes) and I don't really want to put more $$ in fixing it up so I'm looking at an upgrade to a newer (2011 and up) truck to replace her. Problem is that newer 1/2 ton trucks are built lighter so can't hang a plow on them. 3/4 ton trucks are hard to find and very pricey. Looking at a 2012 Silverado 2500HD tomorrow that I'm hoping to get for a decent price if it checks out. Will sell the Sierra when I get replacement.

Recently reduced my fleet by 3 as DD's left the nest. 2014 Subaru Impreza went to DD #3. 2004 Chevy Monte Carlo recently sold to DD #2 and SIL. Really hated to let that one go, but had no place to keep it and hardly ever drove it. 2005 Buick Lacrosse sold to DD #1 who drove the wheels off it and traded for 2018 Ford Taurus with which she is very happy.

All purchased new except the Lacrosse. DW likes to tease me about buying cars, she would keep one forever if she could, just doesn't like change I guess. I felt like I needed every one of them though, so I don't feel like it's a vice. DW would probably disagree though.

I bought a lot of new ones. Lol I don't know why and I'm not a car freak or evenlike to have news one.
I will never buy a new outfit ever again. All my needs now are is something that gets me to here and there. Dont care what it looks like as long as it it dependable.

Back
Top Bottom