Nitro Make Everything Better!

No big thing this nitro stuff. you are breathing in a lot with every breath, 78% by volume, and your body is processing it. Great stuff! Glad it's here!

Which begs the question: If beer gas is so good, shouldn't atmospheric gas be just as good?

So shouldn't a manually pumped keg give the ultimate pour? I mean 78% and 75% are pretty close.

Or is it the other stuff: Oxygen, Argon, Water vapor, etc. that messes things up? I could see the oxygen (20%) really messing up the pour since it, uh, oxidizes.

Which begs the question: If beer gas is so good, shouldn't atmospheric gas be just as good?

So shouldn't a manually pumped keg give the ultimate pour? I mean 78% and 75% are pretty close.

Or is it the other stuff: Oxygen, Argon, Water vapor, etc. that messes things up? I could see the oxygen (20%) really messing up the pour since it, uh, oxidizes.
Good question. I wonder if Guinness has just been using “air” to push their beer in taps all along. :LOL:

Oxygen is a huge "no-no", Joe. So no air ever touches commercial finished beer. Even homebrewers try to limit contact by letting heavier than air CO2 settle in the container during transfers. If you have ever tasted beer the day after out of a air driven tap, you'll know oxydized beer isn't at all pleasant to consume.

BTW, for every 52 molecules of CO2 in solution, you will find 1 molecule of nitrogen. I'm not sure what temperature and pressure that was at, just a quick Wolfram Alpha lookup.

Last edited:
For the most part, if you get a headache from drinking a particular brand of beer or perhaps red wine, you are reacting to the by-products of the type of yeast that was usd in the fermentation. Most beer yeast is a proprietary strain that is particular to the brand. This info was reported to me by a chemical engineer who worked for Coors Brewing for over 15 years.

Oxygen is a big no no in wine and beer, they must be avoided until hours before consumption.

Oxygen is a huge "no-no", Joe. So no air ever touches commercial finished beer. Even homebrewers try to limit contact by letting heavier than air CO2 settle in the container during transfers. If you have ever tasted beer the day after out of a air driven tap, you'll know oxydized beer isn't at all pleasant to consume.

BTW, for every 52 molecules of CO2 in solution, you will find 1 molecule of nitrogen. I'm not sure what temperature and pressure that was at, just a quick Wolfram Alpha lookup.

Yeah, it kind of dawned on me as I was writing it. I think the 75% nitrogen for beer gas matching the atmosphere is mostly coincidence.

I went to college. I not only tasted keg beer the day after, but also the week after. It was, uh, not good. But college boys don't care as long as the alcohol hasn't dissipated:p.

Why am I thinking about car dealers pushing expensive nitrogen-filled tires?

Why am I thinking about car dealers pushing expensive nitrogen-filled tires?
I’d agree that’s a case where “nitro” is not better. I amend my comment to nitro beverages only. ;)

Oops, once again, I did not refresh before posting, so this probably cross-posts with many of the updates...

I don’t know any bars that serve Guinness stout from kegs carbonated with co2. All I know use the nitrogen (with a little co2) mixture. And the kegerator faucet is different in nitro beers. Here’s DW getting certified as pouring the perfect pint at the brewery in Dublin. The nitro faucet shows up in the pic.

Finally found Nitro Pepsi Draft Cola, it’s wonderful - and I can’t stand Pepsi (only Coca-Cola will do, so I hope they do Coke Nitro). Evidently there’s a Nitro Vanilla Pepsi too.

Cold brew coffee is better with nitro. And beer, at least dark beers like Guinness and Firestone Walker Nitro Merlin Milk Stout, are much better. Nitro makes everything smoother and creamier than CO2. :D

Oh wait, so you are saying they are charging soda with nitrogen now? Cool.

For clarity - the Nitrogen does not replace the CO2. It is used in conjunction with CO2 as part of the "delivery system".

Beer/water does not absorb Nitrogen. You won't get a 'fizzy' drink if you apply nitrogen under pressure. The fizz comes from the fact that beer/water will absorb CO2. When this is done under pressure (~ 12PSI of CO2 for most beers), the beer absorbs it, and after some time it will come to a state of equalization (which takes from mere seconds to weeks, depending on how 'aggressively' it is done).

When that beer is poured from the tap or the can/bottle is opened, it drops from the 12PSI in the container, to atmospheric pressure. So the CO2 is released, comes out of solution, and provides the 'fizz'. And just like the beer didn't absorb the CO2 immediately, it doesn't release it immediately either. So your beer keeps bubbling for a while in the glass.

IIRC, Guinness started using Nitrogen in the delivery system as their taps were far from the kegs in the original tap room. If you pump up the CO2 enough to overcome all that resistance to flow in the lines, you end up with a beer that is too fizzy (all foam). So they carbonate it normally with CO2, then use Nitrogen at a higher pressure to push it to the tap.

The side benefit of the nitrogen is that it pushes some of the CO2 out of solution as it is poured, creating that creamy mouthfeel that many of us appreciate in some beers. I haven't tried this, but I imagine a Nitro beer would go flat in the glass a little quicker than a pure CO2 beer, as the Nitro has pushed some of that CO2 out.

Here's one way home-brewers do it:

https://www.thebeveragepeople.com/products/kegging/tank-filled-with-beer-gas.html

Beer gas is 75% Nitro, 25% CO2.

and more info (hopefully backs up my post, as I was going from memory!)

https://byo.com/article/nitrogen-draft-tap-projects/

Another way to do this on the cheap (and amaze your friends and family!) is to use a syringe, suck some regular CO2 beer from your glass into it along with some air (which is 78% nitrogen - for free!). Then shoot this into the beer, with the syringe submerged.

It will take some practice, but you can get that nice creamy head, and the cascade that you see in a Guinness. Should work for soda too.

also - if you have ever seen wine poured from a tap, or soda fountain, they use 100% Nitro to push that, so they don't end up carbonating the wine (and yes, I've force carbed some wine at home to make a sparkling wine, just for fun).

more also: And cans of non-carbonated beverages (fruit juice) are filled with Nitro under pressure. This provides some strength to the can to resists denting, while not carbonating the drink. Without that pressure, the can would crush easily.

-ERD50

Last edited:
OK, I'm caught up now, so to answer this one...

As sengsational mentioned, if beer is exposed to oxygen for more than a few hours, it will go stale.

But technically, Guiness could push their beers with air, as long as the air was only in contact a short time. Which would probably work OK during the time they are open and pouring lots of beer, but the beer in the lines would stale overnight.

Which is why I can do the syringe trick and inject air into my beer to get a 'Nitro pour'.

Here's how it's done:

I've also read that Guinness provided an plate with an ultrasonic module in it, lace the beer on the plate, hit a button to 'jiggle' the beer a few seconds, and it did some of the CO2 out of solution process. I guess that didn't take off.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Well it's not the nitro that worries me! Likewise I was never that worried about carbonated drinks. It's the sugar, corn syrup, or artificial sweetener. I have type 2 diabetes, and so I won't be drinking sodas any time soon (whether nitro or carbonated).

I also drink lots of water (must have chlorine removed if any, I am very sensitive to chlorine). And I occasionally enjoy a carbonated water (soda water), sometimes with a few splashes of bitters, or a slice of lemon/lime or other fruit/veggie.

No sugar or sweeter (outside of a minuscule amount in the lemon slice.

I never tried doing the nitro trick on soda water though! Hmmmm:confused:?

-ERD50

Reactions: W2R
Sorry for the geek-out, but the (good) article from BYO has dissolved N at 0.02 g/L whereas a typical beer might have 5 g/L of carbon dioxide dissolved in solution. So that's a ratio of 250, which I think is more accurate than the 52 I posted earlier.

Finally found Nitro Pepsi Draft Cola, it’s wonderful - and I can’t stand Pepsi (only Coca-Cola will do, so I hope they do Coke Nitro). Evidently there’s a Nitro Vanilla Pepsi too.

Coke does have a Nitro. Hard to find but they are out there. Hope they figure out a way to do Coke Zero Nitro!

If you like nitro, you probably like British pub beers. You could find a few different types in widget cans, but now there’s just Boddington’s, and I haven’t seen that in a few months. Plenty of Guinness and Murphy’s around. All local nitros seem to be milk stouts, which are a bit too sweet for me.

Guinness Draught on tap in bars (and what you had at the factory) has been pushed with nitrogen (actually 75% N and 25% CO2) since the 1960’s…

Not to mention you breathe in nitrogen with every breath you take.

Composition-of-air.png

Hmmm. The purveyor of this data appears to be a "climate denier." :angel: YMMV

I spotted individual cans of Nitro Pepsi Vanilla Draft Cola (13.65 oz.) at my local Publix grocery store yesterday. Bought one and refrigerated it.

I popped it open and "poured hard" (180-degree inversion) as instructed on the can, for my lunch beverage.

It had a nice head. It was a bit too sweet for my taste. And at 230 calories/can, filled with high fructose corn syrup, not something I will be buying again.

omni

Okay I find myself in near New Bern NC today. New Bern is debatedly the birthplace of Pepsi. Billboards all around are advertising Nitro Pepsi.

Okay I find myself in near New Bern NC today. New Bern is debatedly the birthplace of Pepsi. Billboards all around are advertising Nitro Pepsi.

I have not heard of this "debate" as it was originally "Brad's Drink" (a pharmacist in New Bern) and most certainly began in New Bern. My Dad (and several generations before him) lived in New Bern and the family owned the RC Cola distributor in New Bern. Even though it was/is Pepsi country, the sold A LOT of RC Cola. Nothing goes better with a Moonpie! ;)

I also think it's kinda cool that less than a block from the Pepsi Museum is a building that still has my family name on it. Way back in the day, it was a general store that my great grandparents owned.

Last edited:
I have not heard of this "debate" as it was originally "Brad's Drink" (a pharmacist in New Bern) and most certainly began in New Bern. My Dad (and several generations before him) lived in New Bern and the family owned the RC Cola distributor in New Bern. Even though it was/is Pepsi country, the sold A LOT of RC Cola. Nothing goes better with a Moonpie! ;)

I also think it's kinda cool that less than a block from the Pepsi Museum is a building that still has my family name on it. Way back in the day, it was a general store that my great grandparents owned.

Moon Pie. Now that's something I've NEVER seen here in Paradise. The NET says Walmart carries them, but I've not seen them yet. YMMV

Moon Pie. Now that's something I've NEVER seen here in Paradise. The NET says Walmart carries them, but I've not seen them yet. YMMV
Well I'll just have to say you ain't lived until you have had a RC cola and a Moon Pie! :cool: The Moon Pie was invented in Chattanooga Tn. and as a kid we all ate them with an RC cola. :dance:

Well I'll just have to say you ain't lived until you have had a RC cola and a Moon Pie! :cool: The Moon Pie was invented in Chattanooga Tn. and as a kid we all ate them with an RC cola. :dance:

As a kid I always liked getting an RC rather than a Coke cause it was (IIRC) 12 oz for the same price as a 6 1/2oz Coke.

I thought they were talking about nitrous oxide at first. Now that would make an interesting drink! Then I thought, given the average age here, could it be nitroglycerin?

Anyway, I learned something new today. I'd never heard of nitro drinks. I guess all those ad blockers are paying off.

I never was into soda. To me, Coke or Pepsi are just a way to make the rum last longer.

Back
Top Bottom