nm

Re: Gilligan Dies..........................

Cut-Throat said:
I know some here are planning on living to age 120...
So waddya trying to say, Cut-Throat:
- that it's not worth designing a retirement portfolio to last until you're 120,
- that it's not worth trying to live until age 120, or
- that life without Gilligan just isn't worth living?

I think the bypass surgery and the cancer had a pretty big impact on his survivability, no?

So waddya trying to say, Cut-Throat:

Translation: - You need to get in touch with reality!

Cut-Throat said:
Translation: - You need to get in touch with reality!

This is an area where C-T and I are 100% in agreement. Planning to
live to any particular age is nutty in the extreme. You might be gone by this time tomorrow. Face it and live accordingly.

JG

Nords said:
I think the bypass surgery and the cancer had a pretty big impact on his survivability, no?

Probably. But if I were you I'd want to know if his heart problems and cancer resulted from all those years of living on an island... :eek:

REW

No, they resulted from his bad habits when hanging out with Dobie Gillis.

TromboneAl said:

Maybe. But I think we can rule out the possibility he caught something from Zelda... :D

REW

Cut-Throat said:
... Gilligan (aka Bob Denver) is dead at age 70).

He made the mistake of dying during a busy news week. Word of his death will be lost amoung other news. If it was a slow news week the nightly news cast would do a retrospective of his work at the end of the show and the newsreader would end with somthing mauldlin.

We could all use some smiles now. Dobbie Gillis was a wacky show for its time.

Goodby little buddy.

Here is a fun site:

http://www.deadoraliveinfo.com/dead.nsf/pages-nf/main

This site tracks whether famous people are still alive or whether they have passed away. For a full explanation of who's included, how to find a name, and more info about the site, click on the Instructions button above.

see the list of People Who've Died in the Last Six Months

Don't forget:
www.bobdenver.com

Cut-Throat said:
I know some here are planning on living to age 120, but Gilligan (aka Bob Denver) is dead at age 70).

OK, but The Professor is 80 and still going strong (he lives down the street from me).

dex said:
Goodby little buddy.

Professor: Gilligan, Benjamin Franklin is dead.
Skipper: Exactly.
Gilligan: He's dead? I didn't even know he was sick!

oooh, Wab. The Professor was always my favorite......besides Gilligan of course.

I think I'll make a coconut creme pie in his honor this weekend.

A woman who is 50 today can expect to live to about 82, a 50 year old man to about 78.

According to this Gilligan had another 12.75 years to "expect"

Denver's signature role was Gilligan, but when he took the role in 1964 he was already widely known to TV audiences for another iconic character, Maynard G. Krebs, the bearded beatnik friend of Dwayne Hickman's Dobie in the "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis," which aired on CBS from 1959 to 1963.

Krebs, whose only desire was to play the bongos and hang out at coffee houses, would shriek every time the word "work" was mentioned in his presence.

Sound like someone we know?

If gilligan would have spent more time on the bamboo exercise bike he probably would've lasted a few more years.

Dobie Gillis was the first TV show I "loved." As a young child I much preferred it to the Mickey Mouse Club (though I had a crush on Spin..or was it Marty?!). Who else remembers Dobie standing next to The Thinker and talking directly to the camera? And Chatsworth Osborn, Jr? And Zelda calling Dobie "poopsie"! Not to mention Maynard G Krebs' horror of work (obviously that had a lasting effect on me-). Honest, I've seen more episodes of Dobie than of Gilligan--I never got into that show even though I liked the premise and the actors (but I was kinda sweet on the Professor!).

I probably saw every episode of Gilligan's Island when it was first run.

I watched it for MARYANN... mmmmm.  They had her hairdo little girl-like, but I uh, didn't notice her hair much!

I liked the Mr. Howell character, he was great.

But MARYANN... ahhh  MARYANN!

:D

What about the red-headed "Ginger" character? A few years back, there was either a radio or newspaper survey that asked men who they would rather date, a glamorous "Ginger" type or the girl-next door "Maryann" type. The majority of men voted for "Ginger". I would've thought most would've voted for "Maryann". But what do I know, I'm a female. ::)

Toejam said:
What about the red-headed "Ginger" character?   A few years back, there was either a radio or newspaper survey that asked men who they would rather date, a glamorous "Ginger"  type or the girl-next door "Maryann" type.  The majority of men voted for "Ginger".  I would've thought most would've voted for "Maryann".  But what do I know, I'm a female.   ::)

Hmm, that sounds like a TH "statistic." Must have been the wrong definition of "date." I'd start a new poll here, but somebody already did one with a good sample size.

We had a poll here not too long ago, and after over 8,000 votes it was 65% for Maryann and 35% for Ginger.

http://www.retrocrush.com/babes/dawn/gingervmaryann.html

Anyway, after a few years on a desert isle, *everybody* starts to look pretty good.... :)

If gilligan would have spent more time on the bamboo exercise bike he probably would've lasted a few more years

That of course is strictly conjecture and might even have killed him earlier. His father (famous side kick co-star of many Errol Flynn movies) died of a heart attack at only 50 or something like that.

And as far as Mr. Howell goes.... He was one of my first FIRE inspirations. There is an episode where he exclaims: People don't realize how hard OTHER people have to work just to make me rich! I was 7 yrs old but I had discovered the stock market.

Gomez Addams was my other mentor. Remember how he used to stand in the living room with the "gum ball machine" stock ticker selling "Amalgamated" and buying "Consolidated"? There IS an easier way to put food on the table and stay home all day . It's right there on TV.

Talk about subliminal messages affecting young minds.

Alright that's it, I've had it, I'm GOING TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ISLAND!!

What a dippy show. I loved it and saw every episode, of course.

I think GEICO needs to make a Gilligan's Island commercial :)

TromboneAl said:
I thought the only "bad habit" he had was his aversion to "work" :D :D ;) ;)

I vote for Maryann/Mary Ann/Mary Anne, wtf...

Only vaguely remember Dobie Gillis, but do remember Maynard...

Watched every episode of Gilligan, I'd guess...

Favorite Addam's Family moment:

Morticia - "Don't torture yourself, Gomez. That's my job..." 8)

Toejam said:
What about the red-headed "Ginger" character? A few years back, there was either a radio or newspaper survey that asked men who they would rather date, a glamorous "Ginger" type or the girl-next door "Maryann" type. The majority of men voted for "Ginger". I would've thought most would've voted for "Maryann". But what do I know, I'm a female. ::)

Call me weird, but I would have taken Maryann everytime. I believe she has aged better as well.

Back
Top Bottom