nm

Re: Costco Seems to save me at least $500 a year - Last 4 years compared.

Brat said:
They don't card you at the food service beyond the cash registers.

So I can walk in, tell them I want to look around, then just walk up to the food court area and buy a pizza?

justin said:
So I can walk in, tell them I want to look around, then just walk up to the food court area and buy a pizza?

Yup! -

Love Sam's club.........I buy bulk the stuff we want to eat, I have a chest freezer in the basement and an extra frig in the garage..........works for me, I save tons.......... ;)

MasterBlaster said:
This kind of economy always amazes me, for most people that buy 10-15 gallons of gas they will save maybe a dollar or less. Yet they'll wait in line for 6 cars to pump gas to save that amount. What is your free time worth ?

It's like that around here....people wait 20 min or more in line and its only .03/gal less. People get completely irrational about gas.

Gosh, suddenly I am hungry!. Good timing on this one as our Sam's club is due for renewal. We don't go much anymore anyway. Here in DC area, they usually have long lines which is a pain since I am not buying that much. Most of the relatives prefer Costco which is in an area of town that I usually avoid due to traffic. Hopefully, someone will provide some feedback on BJ's. There are a couple around here, but I've never been inside. I have two teenagers at home and one away at college........it seems like the more I buy, the more they consume, so it's better to shop more often and buy less each trip.

justin said:
Costcos in our area have outdoor food courts as well, so that you have to pass by the pizza smell on your way to the entrance...

DOG52 said:
Hey if you like cheese, try this. If there is one thing my old Ag school can do, it's make some cheese. :)

http://msucheese.com/

Edam - Out of Stock! :(
Vallegret - Out of Stock! :(

I may try the cheddar. Thanks!

we cancelled our membership too. we spent tooooo much on extras. it wasnt a case of buying an extra bag of cookies, it was a case of cookies.

with so many extras we would blow an entire food budget in 1 trip.

we arent disciplined enough to just buy toilet paper and the specifics when we go so we are better off not going.

mathjak107 said:
we cancelled our membership too. we spent tooooo much on extras. it wasnt a case of buying an extra bag of cookies, it was a case of cookies.

with so many extras we would blow an entire food budget in 1 trip.

we arent disciplined enough to just buy toilet paper and the specifics when we go so we are better off not going.

Sounds like a Seinfeld episiode. :) I never tried it (Costco or Sam's Club).
Don't like the concept (paying to play) and as someone else posted...............in the case of Walmart I don't get how it works,
marketing/profit-wise. This has nothing to do with me saving money.
I just don't see the corp. advantage to having all of those Sam's Clubs right
next door to Walmart Supercenters. Obviously, Walmart knows more
about this than I do.

JG

We have been Costco members for many years. I have never been disappointed with anything
I have purchased there. Most is very good quality, and like Nordstrom their customer service
is very refreshing, as they will take back most anything perishable or not.

An interesting story. I have a relative who is a bit of a "gadget guy". He bought a $500 digital
camera one year around Christmas. Now, I would not do this, but he asked the sales person
if he could bring it back in a year or so if he wanted. Hard to believe, but he was told, "no problem".

About a year later, an improved model was being sold. He had saved his original packaging, and
trotted up to the store. He told the sales person he'd like to return the camera. He was asked
why, and he said he just wanted the newer model. There was nothing wrong with his camera
and in fact he had been quite pleased with its performance over the previous year.
Without blinking, they took the original camera back, refunded his money, and he bought the
newer camera.
Now, again, I would never do this myself. And, I suspect it happens like this very rarely.
But, I think it goes to their credit as an organization to treat customers as they do.

We have a list of about 20 regular items we buy there including wines, meats, shampoo,etc.

Their treatment of their employees is "legendary" here in the Seattle area, and I suspect
nationally. I know a number of employees and they all are very happy with the wages
and benefits they receive.

they took the original camera back, refunded his money, and he bought the
newer camera

I wonder if they'll do the same thing for one of those big packs of toilet paper.

- Well yes this toilet paper worked pretty good. But I just want the newer ones ! :eek:

MasterBlaster said:

I wonder if they'll do the same thing for one of those big packs of toilet paper.

- Well yes this toilet paper worked pretty good. But I just want the newer ones ! :eek:

Costco is not targeting your kind of shopper! :cool:

theoretically speaking, I could get a free computer by buying a new one, using it for six months and returning it, then repeating this process over and over?

justin said:
theoretically speaking, I could get a free computer by buying a new one, using it for six months and returning it, then repeating this process over and over?

Yes, if you're this shameless, Costco would probably accomodate you.

- I would have trouble sleeping at night, as would most folks, if they did this. This is what Costco has probably based this plan on.

MasterBlaster said:

Well, I kinda doubt that.

I do think they have set some time limits on the returns, at least computers.
But, I don't know about the cameras. I'll have to ask the relative!
Maybe he will try it again?

You can get carried away though shopping at Costco, and if the stuff you buy
does not get used up or spoils, its not a "good" deal.

Recently they had Coho out of Alaska for $6.99 a pound which was the
same as what it was selling for at our Pike Place Market. I have a fondness for
salmon so I bought a few pounds. It was only slightly more expensive than the
"farm raised" Atlantic variety which they stock all the time.

Other things like bar soap, medicinals (Ibuprofen), certain wines, and beers,
Mikes hard lemonade (16 ouncers!), frozed veggies I thinkk are good buys.
I would think we spend somewhat less than CT, but a couple thousand a year.

And like some earlier posters, I just like the store, even if I am not buying anything.
And of course the free "lunch" is not a bad deal either. (Samples)

By the way, the hot dog/polish sausage plus drink for $1.50 was voted the
best lunch deal by one local TV station in a best of Seattle survey.

Cut-Throat said:
Yes, if you're this shameless, Costco would probably accomodate you.

- I would have trouble sleeping at night, as would most folks, if they did this. This is what Costco has probably based this plan on.

I wouldn't do it, just asking! :D

justin said:
Umm - I wonder if they keep track of the number of returns of each member so that they can refuse it.

The member who can answer that question has been off the Board since July. Doubtless working all kinds of hours making sure you aren't all tempted to recycle electronics purchased in December next June.

In the past employees had first dibs on purchasing returned computers. I haven't seen my nephew walking around with a print-out for a while so don't know if that program still exists.

The abuse of Costco's return policy is often a hot topic at places like fatwallet.

Example thread here.

Basically, a lot of shoppers have no qualms about sticking it to The Man. Others realize this will eventually bite them in the butt in the form of higher prices and changes in return policies.

gwix98 said:
An interesting story. I have a relative who is a bit of a "gadget guy". He bought a $500 digital
camera one year around Christmas. Now, I would not do this, but he asked the sales person
if he could bring it back in a year or so if he wanted. Hard to believe, but he was told, "no problem".

About a year later, an improved model was being sold. He had saved his original packaging, and
trotted up to the store. He told the sales person he'd like to return the camera. He was asked
why, and he said he just wanted the newer model. There was nothing wrong with his camera
and in fact he had been quite pleased with its performance over the previous year.
Without blinking, they took the original camera back, refunded his money, and he bought the
newer camera.
Now, again, I would never do this myself. And, I suspect it happens like this very rarely.
But, I think it goes to their credit as an organization to treat customers as they do.

Hmmm... so, you CHEAT... and say good customer service....

There was a store called Woolco that used to do the same thing... I used to watch as people came with weed whackers that they had used all summer, with grass and dirt hanging off it, and want to 'return' it... They did the same and took it back.... but, you don't see any Woolco's around anymore...

We love Costco's. It's within 5 miles and we shop there about once a month. Because most of the savings are for the bulk items, we have to buy and freeze a lot of stuff; we're empty nesters, ya know. And if I go there around noon, I don't have to buy lunch. I haven't checked recently, but their gas was the cheapest in town. The prepared food items are time saving and restaurant quality. Last night, for example, we had some stuffed crabs, compliments of the club. Highly recommend it.

wab said:
The abuse of Costco's return policy is often a hot topic at places like fatwallet.

Example thread here.

Basically, a lot of shoppers have no qualms about sticking it to The Man. Others realize this will eventually bite them in the butt in the form of higher prices and changes in return policies.

Well, actually it's pretty much impossible to bite yourself in the butt by abusing return policies. Since the costs of abuse are shared by all, your share is going to be small no matter how much you abuse it.

I actually find this a fascinating ethical issue... it's pretty much a straight Tragedy of the commons:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

But what fascinates me is that the type of people who tend to argue it's selfish to abuse those policies are often the people who drive SUVs which deplete everyone's environment, argue for tax policies that benefit the rich over the poor, try to keep immigrants from sharing the wealth of this country, and generally make lots of selfish ("family values") choices.

I personally have "abused" the Costco policy... while I was on vacation a camera that I had bought at Costco died. Rather than wait to send it in for repairs, I just bought a new one at a local Costco... then when I got home I sent in the non-working one for repairs and returned one to Costco. I don't feel quite right about making more frequent use of it, but I can't begrudge anyone else for doing so. If Costco as a corporation decides it's in their best interest to offer the policy then they have surely decided it's in their best interests overall. In some sense Costco corporation is banking on the goodwill that many people feel which prevents them from utilizing the return policy. That's what's so fascinating, that people feel the need to effectively make contributions to Costco corporation (by not taking advantage of the policy). I think the way that Costco pays decent wages and has friendly employees helps this... I remember years ago Fry's electronics was known for its abyssmal service, but everyone said because the store experience was so poor they had no problem abusing Fry's return policy.

Can we expect ethical behavior from our govt if we think it's "alright" to "abuse" their return policy? Just a matter of degree... :-\

I found I get better deals on base and I already am paying my dues for the priveleges I get.

HFWR said:
Can we expect ethical behavior from our govt if we think it's "alright" to "abuse" their return policy? Just a matter of degree... :-\

Uh yeah... just a matter of degree indeed :confused: I could see the current administration taking this on. The obvious solution is to classify all Costco return abuse as terrorism (contributing to the delinquency of our government is after all an attack on the very things we hold dear). Lock up all the people who try to return computers after 31 days in secret prisons and let freedom ring. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom