November 22 - Remembering the day

Presidents up until Kennedy always wore hats. Prime suspects to me are haberdashers.

For those interested in this subject, I'd recommend "11/22/63" by Stephen King. It's based on a man who found a way to travel back in time and struggled with the possibility of changing history by preventing the Kennedy assassination. Classic King with great descriptions of life in those times. I loved it.
Purron, I usually do not read fiction, as I prefer non-fiction. However, the premise of 11/22/63 intrigued me, and I had never read a Stephen King novel before. Although it is a huge novel, some 800-plus, pages, it was a quick read. But, by the end, I was somewhat disappointed.

SPOILER ALERT! Do not read this post further if you plan to read 11/22/63.

I am a history fan; that was a primary reason I wanted to read this novel. It had a great premise. And I like to read stuff about the history of rock music. Jake Epping, the protagonist in 11/22/63, has a fondness for great writers, but does virtually nothing during the time he is back in time to meet some of the greats of that field, or to be present at historic events. (In the novel, he goes back to late 1958 and then has to live a few years to get to November 1963.) Instead, the novel concentrates more on a romantic relationship Epping has. For me, while waiting to get to 1963, I would have traveled to see some of the great rock musicians of the time. Like maybe go to Iowa in February 1959 to tell Buddy, Ritchie and the Big Bopper not to get on that plane. )Then later learn what repercussions that had on rock music history.) And go to Hamburg August 1960 to see the baby Beatles. (Maybe there would never had been The Beatles if Buddy Holly had lived.) And to be at other historic moments 1958-1963. Or simply observe long-gone but dearly beloved family members alive at that time, without bothering them. Other stuff like that. So, I was a bit disappointed that the novel did not have more stuff like that. But again, I did read the entire novel, so I give King credit for holding my attention.

It's a book V. 849 pages long. And the questions you raised are just the things Stephen King thought of when writing this. I think you might like it based upon your comments.

Gee this does sound interesting, thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can get this via inter library loan. It's been 5 years since I have read anything by SK. Some of his books are fantastic and some have been lousy. 800 pages? That's a short story for him! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom