Odd Magazine Subscription shows up

jjquantz

Full time employment: Posting here.
Today a copy of Seventeen magazine showed up in the mail addressed to DD#2. From the label it looks like the subscription will expire at the end of 2018.

This is strange, DD#2 lives two-thirds of the way across the country, hasn't lived with us for 10 years and is considerably older than 17. Although we get things addressed to our daughters occasionally, those items are clearly mass marketers doing a poor job of data mining.

Anyway, let DD know that she should check on things from her end, I will double check all the obvious possibilities on my end and if we don't discover anything then I will call the magazine subscription service and see if they can generate a lead for us.

I'm guessing it's a promo copy to encourage a subscription. They might send a 'bill' later - but that would just really be a new subscription request. But it would make sense to make sure she wasn't charged for something she doesn't want.

"Seventeen" magazine in this internet age? I'd imagine a teen would view a magazine as something their grandparents read?

-ERD50

Just throw them in the recycle bin and don't worry about it. It's a ploy by the magazine companies to trick people into "re" subscribing. When I subscribed to Family Handyman I started getting copies of Rachel Ray's mag, Sports Illustrated, and Time. I just toss them as well as any correspondence about them. It will go away eventually. Not worth spending the time to get it stopped, IMO.

I'm guessing it's a promo copy to encourage a subscription. They might send a 'bill' later - but that would just really be a new subscription request. But it would make sense to make sure she wasn't charged for something she doesn't want.

"Seventeen" magazine in this internet age? I'd imagine a teen would view a magazine as something their grandparents read?

-ERD50

My teen girls read them. Caught her with J14 and Tigerbeat last weekend.

Esquire started showing up here for one of our sons 4 years after he had moved out. He didn't order it, didn't want it and I had to make a few calls to get it to stop.

DW and I discussed this over dinner. Marketing may also explain the Golf Digest that I received for a couple of years and could not remember buying a subscription.

DW and I discussed this over dinner. Marketing may also explain the Golf Digest that I received for a couple of years and could not remember buying a subscription.

Exactly, that's the same excuse I used for a different magazine I wanted to read the articles in.

Got a copy if Cigar Aficionado magazine in the mail the other day. I doubt there are many who dislike cigar/cigarette smoke more than I do. I also decided I could get by without knowing the 'The Top 25 Cigars of 2015' so it went straight into the trash.

Last edited:
I sometimes get renewal notices for magazines where they let me send a friend a subscription at no cost, hoping the friend will start renewing at the end of the year.

My guess is that someone your daughter knows put her name on the renewal card and sent it in.

We get several unsolicited magazines, My wife has received Playboy, ebony, Muscle Fitness and Harpers from out of the blue. All go straight to file 13.

We started getting Entertainment Weekly in DH name. We didn't order it, and he could care less about EW. I thought it was strange, but good to know it is happening to others.

DD applied for a credit card and two months later Shape and GoodHouskeeping showed up.
Somehow applying for the card earned her the free subscriptions.

I'm betting the magazine company is counting her as a paid subscriber in its advertiser metrics.

Back
Top Bottom