One the Road Security

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
On the Road Security

We've visited this topic in the past, but I'd like to get the latest info and some specific suggestions.

Soon I'm going to be on a trip, and I will want to pay for something that I'm bidding on on eBay. So I will need to access eBay and PayPal.

Any way to make that more secure from a public computer (coffee shop or hotel)? Not worth the risk -- should I forget about that eBay item?

It would make me nervous if acct numbers and PWs need to be entered. Got a laptop you can bring? That would help a little (key logging, etc.).

Yes, I will be using my laptop.

I think it was Nords who once suggested that you enter text in sensitive fields by typing in a few letters, clicking outside the field and entering garbage, go back to the field and enter a few more valid letters, click outside and enter garbage, etc.

Seems sensible to at least make it harder for a low level keyboard logger to sort things out.

On the road again.... If you ever find that place called security, let me know; dad said it doesn't exist.

eBay is so much fun; it used to be my favorite kind of gambling. Did a 12-step program and stopped at "join a forum instead." hello.

If you are using your own laptop there isn't too much to worry about. Even if someone has a sniffer on the WIFI router they will not be able to read your encrypted transmission to PayPal. Working on a public terminal is a bigger problem. If that is compromised with a keylogger program the bad guys can snoop everything your type.

The Pay Pal Security Key may be useful. It's a small device that you carry with you that generates a random number that's used for authentication. Only costs $5.

Thanks guys. Yes, I think I will inform the seller ahead of time that I'll be on the road, and things may not be as smooth as normal, then trust the https: to encrypt things well enough.

The solution to this question for me may be a little more involved (and expensive) than you are looking for but...

We travel quite a bit in our [-]Yacht[/-] eh, Roadtrek -- gone 2-3 weeks, home for a week to 10 days. Simply finding Internet access is sometimes a much bigger issue than concerns of security.

I have a Verizon UM150 USB Modem connected to a Cradlepoint CTR500 Router using a High Gain Omni RV Antennae. (You, actually, need only the UM150 or whatever device Sprint is offering.) Sprint offers a comparable service.

Several articles to begin your research can be found at EVDO info, EV-DO Coverage, Tips, News, Reviews, Verizon, Sprint : EVDOinfo.com. Specifically this one: Easy EVDO by EVDOinfo.com which responds to the question: "I want a broadband cellular connection that can provide wireless internet access to my computer wherever I am! What do I need and what does it cost?"

Again, this may be overkill but it would put you in charge of security and above all, eliminate the need to use an unknown computer. (Assuming you have your laptop handy.)

I have a Verizon UM150 USB Modem connected to a Cradlepoint CTR500 Router using a High Gain Omni RV Antennae. (You, actually, need only the UM150 or whatever device Sprint is offering.) Sprint offers a comparable service.
I have the same modem connected to a higher end Cradlepoint at my weekend house. I'm on it now with my laptop. I take the UM150 on the road when I travel - nice to have but the service is a bit pricey. I can't get other service at my weekend place (except satellite) so it seemed worthwhile to go this route and get travel coverage to boot.

When you at the hotel, they will probably give you a card with a password to get on their network. If you are using wireless... make sure you attach to their network.

Since I sell on ebay I would say just email the seller and tell her you will be travelling and if you win that you will pay when you return . Ebayer is attracting a lot of non payers recently and it is driving us sellers crazy .

This isnt something I recommend anyone doing where anything financial is involved.

You need a bulletproof, fully enabled and properly configured firewall, all the latest patches installed, and make sure you dont have anything evil running on your machine AFTER you get your secure connection going.

Theres a reason why most companies wont allow open internet access to their internal protected networks and require a separate vpn tunnel that uses multiple methods of authentication.

When you're at home and behind your home router, you're protected from a wide variety of potential miscreants. When you're connected to someone elses open access point, you're exposed to whatever their box doesnt protect against, isnt properly configured for, and to all the other peer users that are attached to that unit.

This isnt something I recommend anyone doing where anything financial is involved.

I am unsure what "this" is.

You need a bulletproof, fully enabled and properly configured firewall, all the latest patches installed, and make sure you dont have anything evil running on your machine AFTER you get your secure connection going.

Theres a reason why most companies wont allow open internet access to their internal protected networks and require a separate vpn tunnel that uses multiple methods of authentication.

When you're at home and behind your home router, you're protected from a wide variety of potential miscreants. When you're connected to someone elses open access point, you're exposed to whatever their box doesnt protect against, isnt properly configured for, and to all the other peer users that are attached to that unit.

This is exactly what I was referring to when I said "it would put you in charge of security." The UM150/Cradlepoint Router is your Network... the exact same as a "home" system would be. (The only advantage, BTW, that the Router adds is the ability to have mutiple computers running on the Network at the same time.)

Like CFB said. My second recommendation (only slightly tongue-in-cheek) would be to find a residential non-secure access point, attach to it, do your work, and get out. Bad guys haunt public wireless access points, but your standard clueless homeowner is probably not under surveillance, and would never know if you are on there for a few minutes. 5 minutes of war driving should find you a dozen or so choices.

And I know I'll probably get grief for the suggestion, but it's no harm no foul in my book. Like using a McDonald's restroom without buying food. I would do it if the access was important to me, but not to check my fantasy football scores. And never without a firewall on my PC.

Back
Top Bottom