Pay as you go cell offering/no monthly minimums?

Not to be insensitive to the concern, but playing devil's advocate -- how much of a problem is this really? I'm talking from a risk assessment standpoint, looking at probability & severity of the risk.

• How long is this stretch of road with no signal?
  • How heavily trafficked is it? (if lots of frequent cars on the road, it's easy to flag someone down to help)
  • How reliable is the vehicle she uses?
  • What is the likelihood of having a problem specifically within this service dead zone?
  • How much of a problem would it be to find another means of seeking help? (many homes/businesses that can be walked to if required, or none)

Personally, I would hate to have a totally separate phone & cell service & their associated costs just on the of chance of a low probability, easily overcome problem were to unexpectedly occur. If it means walking 1-2 miles to a nearby gas station or zone with cell coverage, I would totally risk that. Of course, if this is a 25mi deadline with nothing but wilderness around & you drive an old, unreliable car with constant deer/animal "interactions" ... Yeah, maintaining a constant communications avenue might be warranted.

As a different idea to consider... if you really are in a "wide open & empty" type environment, you might check with your local sheriff/state police to see if they have an emergency radio frequency that you could use to call for help if required. Then you could make a 1-time purchase of a long-range (or satellite) radio transceiver for the vehicle, and never have to worry about paying for a service plan that expires or has recurring charges. Buying a simple ELT device could also be an option (emergency locator transmitter, 1-button nationwide call for help, monitored by rescue agencies across the country).
Quite funny actually. Have you ever been married?

... When she has an emergency, she can call 911 on that phone as a plan is not required to dial 911.
She can call 911 on the phone she has. What she wants to be able to do is to call me or DS.

The OP from all his posts is not short on dough. He comes here and says his wife is concerned because she drives alone in an area where their primary phone is DOA.

So is this question about how to get the cheapest plan possible from a 2nd tier carrier or is it about how to make sure she actually has coverage in this low coverage area.

Quite funny actually. Have you ever been married?

Yep I am and as we get older and travel in a no cell area, there is nothing wrong with trying to figure out if you can get some coverage..Peace of mind is worth something too.

Can she call 911 in that dead zone ? You said she had zero reception.

I was thinking a Verizon expired phone will get reception as it will use the Verizon network.
My understanding of the 911 feature is that it will use whatever tower it can talk to, regardless of carrier. The display says "Emergency calls only." when out of touch with Google FI. DW's issue is that she wants to be able to call me or DS, not 911.

I did just snapped on the 2 phones/1 year/$44 deal that @RetiredAndLovingIt bird-dogged. Since Tracfone is owned by Verizon I am confident that we'll be able to use the Verizon cells along our route. We'll see how that goes.

Last edited:
... Perhaps some powerful walkie talkies would suffice as some have range of many miles.
That type of radio is limited to line of sight. The curvature of the earth will limit communication to less than 40 miles, potentially much less due to foliage and small hills between transmitter and receiver.
... an emergency radio frequency that you could use to call for help if required. Then you could make a 1-time purchase of a long-range (or satellite) radio transceiver for the vehicle, and never have to worry about paying for a service plan that expires or has recurring charges. Buying a simple ELT device could also be an option (emergency locator transmitter, 1-button nationwide call for help, monitored by rescue agencies across the country).
You're probably thinking of the Cospas-Sarsat system. That's actually quite a complex thing and not really designed for civilian roadside assistance. I actually do have a PLB, bought for some flying in Northern Canada but the $120 battery has timed out and I no longer have a need. I know there are some civilian tracking gadgets but I don't know much about them or about their reliability.

My understanding of the 911 feature is that it will use whatever tower it can talk to, regardless of carrier. The display says "Emergency calls only." when out of touch with Google FI. DW's issue is that she wants to be able to call me or DS, not 911.

I did just snap on the 2 phones/1 year/$44 deal that @RetiredAndLovingIt bird-dogged. Since Tracfone is owned by Verizon I am confident that we'll be able to use the Verizon cells along our route. We'll see how that goes.

Hope it works for you in my case, my phone serviced by Verizon, but not billed to Verizon did not work in a limited Verizon service area. But at that price it's worth a try.

It is frustrating to me that the cheapest stuff doesn't work inside my house (Verizon via Tracfone). I can only make wifi calls which seems not sufficient to me . . . I do live in the middle of a huge city. . . not a rural area.
I think wifi calling is turned on by default for all carriers now whether you need it or not. It works great for me, no complaints.

The iPhone 14 and 15 have a built-in satellite phone messaging option for emergencies. FYI.

How about these 1 yr deals from the EBAY Tracfone store.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285059189550 $60 3GB/1200/1200

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285030288045 $44 1200/1200/1200

30 day return policy but be sure to read it, I think $5 fee applies to any return.

Bit on the $44 deal (thanks for that info), got 2 phones sure nuff but only one worked, other would not take a charge or stay on. Connected 1st one fine to Tracfone (after first calling the number on the screen which turned out to be a Verizon desk, would do nothing for me) and would like to return the 2nd for a 50% refund but not looking good. So I guess I have to cancel the line on #1 and return them both. Would still be a great deal for just one of them but the principle of the thing ya know...

Bit on the $44 deal (thanks for that info), got 2 phones sure nuff but only one worked, other would not take a charge or stay on. Connected 1st one fine to Tracfone (after first calling the number on the screen which turned out to be a Verizon desk, would do nothing for me) and would like to return the 2nd for a 50% refund but not looking good. So I guess I have to cancel the line on #1 and return them both. Would still be a great deal for just one of them but the principle of the thing ya know...
Yeah. My $44 phones came and I spent several hours before I got one of them to work. Absolutely no phone instructions in the box, no instructions how to activate and both phones reported "No SIM" even though SIMs were present. Finally got one phone to work by fussing with the SIM and cleaning contacts. The other one remained DOA and has been returned for an exchange unit. The one I did get working does seem to work just fine, but this product offer is really suitable for masochistic techies only.

Well, that's a bummer, have you actually contacted Tracfone through their EBAY account?
On the right hand side of the listing below the Tracfone logo there is a contact seller button. Click on that and send them a message and be clear about what you expect from them, either a new working phone or a 50% refund for the defective one.
If they won't help you can ask EBAY to step in. I've had to do that for other sellers in the past and they will make a determination and issue a refund and charge it back to the seller if they rule in your favor.

Yeah. My $44 phones came and I spent several hours before I got one of them to work. Absolutely no phone instructions in the box, no instructions how to activate and both phones reported "No SIM" even though SIMs were present. Finally got one phone to work by fussing with the SIM and cleaning contacts. The other one remained DOA and has been returned for an exchange unit. The one I did get working does seem to work just fine, but this product offer is really suitable for masochistic techies only.

Well at least you succeeded in returning the one for an exchange, that's what am hoping for too. What got me is that there was no info that this had anything to do with Tracfone, had to Google the number, but at least they did recognize the IMEI and got one phone on line at least.

Well, that's a bummer, have you actually contacted Tracfone through their EBAY account?
On the right hand side of the listing below the Tracfone logo there is a contact seller button. Click on that and send them a message and be clear about what you expect from them, either a new working phone or a 50% refund for the defective one.
If they won't help you can ask EBAY to step in. I've had to do that for other sellers in the past and they will make a determination and issue a refund and charge it back to the seller if they rule in your favor.
Yes, I signed up the working phone with Tracfone. And have contacted the seller, still waiting to hear from them but the response said that I can't break up the order. Guess it's possible since Old Shooter was able to set up an exchange.
I need to get back to Tracfone Wireless and ask for an exchange.

Back
Top Bottom