Paying at the time of service... but it is the wrong charge

badatmath

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Do you ask for a refund or let them keep the money as a credit on your account?

Most of the time I'm billed after a service as the coinsurance is a % and not a flat fee. But the times they want the money RIGHT NOW . . . and then over charge. . . while rare. . . are annoying. Then when you ask for a refund they admit they do owe you . . . but they don't want bother to return the money.

Is there a particular amount you would be okay with them "keeping" for you? Like < $20 < $100, etc.

Naturally I'd expect a bill if they undercharged but that has actually never happened.

I think it depends on how often I use their service. If I know I’ll be back in six months or so, I just keep it as a credit. Sometimes I get a check in the mail anyways.
I try not to worry about the small stuff.

I’d ask for a check. Things get lost or forgotten over time.

It just seems so odd to me. I would think they would say something like "we are so sorry that happened how would you like us to handle that" but nope. . . . I feel a little like I am in the twilight zone or something so I thought I'd better get a reality check here.

For regularly used services, I'll just take a credit. Often times I pay up to a year in advance anyway on things like medical and auto insurance, water bills, septic services and maybe a few other things. I may start doing that on phone/internet and electricity soon. (I try to pay the IRS as little as possible in advance)

Last edited:
This has happened to both DW and me, and each time it appears to be deliberate. Refunds have taken months. The last time I was asked to sign a form and pay as I was leaving I politely refused and said 1) if they have a “pay right now” policy it needed to be made clear when I made the appointment, and 2) I now only pay the amount indicated on the EOB.

Last edited:
This has happened to both DW and me, and each time it appears to be deliberate. Refunds have taken months. The last time I was asked to sign a form and pay as I was leaving I politely refused and said 1) if they have a “pay right now” policy it needed to be made clear when I made the appointment, and 2) I now only pay the amount indicated on the EOB.

It does seem deliberate given their lack of interest. I don't expect to go soon - or maybe ever. This is sort of the last little irritant I might be willing to put up with for what I am getting. IDK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I pay by CC , I'd just ask them to put a refund on the CC.

My local Menards does it when I return something even if it's just a few dollars.

They know how to charge a CC so why not a refund :confused:

I have never been asked to pay at time of service for anything medical, except, of course, co-pays when applicable.

The closest I came was when having a hip replacement. Before the date I got a phone call, telling me I had a $500 deductible (which I knew was the case). They said if I paid in advance they would discount it to $400, so I did. But it was not required.

I cannot remember the last time, if ever, I had to pay some copay/coinsurance at the time of service if it would be covered by my insurance(s). They have my M/C and supplement account numbers. That should be enough. A year ago or so, I was asked to pay upfront for a pre-op physical. They said it was their policy to collect up front and would return any overpayment. I said it was MY policy to wait for everything to match between their billing, Medicare and my Supplement. Then I pay. "How are we going to resolve this?" They said nothing more and I went in for the physical. M/C and Supplement covered everything 100%. I paid nothing. I recently paid up front for a procedure, but I knew ahead of time that it was not a covered procedure.

Since I pay by CC , I'd just ask them to put a refund on the CC.

My local Menards does it when I return something even if it's just a few dollars.

Yeah I did pay by card. And that is the thing. I could go to any store and get a refund but as it is medical it just "doesn't count"? IDK. So many places are hard to deal with now.

I went to a store the other day to pick up a gift card and left without it when 3 store employees could not process the transaction (they didn't know how). I started feeling guilty holding up the line even though I was prepared to pay with CC or cash or whatever they wanted to accept .

It pales in comparison to the story about being accused of theft by Walgreens but still . . . money in and out is what you do at a store. Not like they expect you to do brain surgery unexpectedly.

I'd prefer a virtual gift card by the recipient is too old/not interested to manage online shopping.

Last edited:
If this is for medical, I only pay my known co payment.
For other services, I pay at the end when service is complete.
The only time I have been asked for payment prior for non medical was a kitchen remodel, in which the contract signed was 1/3 at start, 1/3 mid way and last 1/3 after inspection at the end and satisfied with work completed.

Yeah I think we're all assuming this is medical? If not it's confusing....

I don't pay at the time for doctor's appointments, exams, etc. But some things like MRI's, or outpatient procedures, things that require pre-approval, a lot of those places will charge you what they know to be your portion upfront. But I do keep track of those and make sure the end cost from the insurance matches. So far no issues.

I have used many medical facilities over the years and all of them accepted a CC but a refund was always by check.

Many of the doctors and treatment/diagnostic places I have gone to have a little sign at the desk to the effect: Co-pays and deductibles due at time of service. BUT, I've never been charged. Never.

Yes, routine medical. Dentist does it also. Nothing requiring preauth. The "copayment" is co insurance % which they somehow(??) figured incorrectly resulting in my over payment. I don't have the least idea how they know what I am supposed to pay in advance as most people do not ask for it and simply bill after EOB.

And right I have seen those signs and most places only collect flat copays like if all your doctors are $20 they take that. The rest just wait until insurance processes and bill out. I really didn't mind paying until I found they overcharged and even then a minor issue if they would just fix it. (I still kind of assume they will - after more weeks/months?)

I don't care how the refund is processed as long as it is but I have asked for it twice and they just kinda go oh well. . . .like I am bothering them. (Um, I asked for billing, isn't that what billing does - match up the bills and EOBs?) Maybe just disorganized. Certainly disinterested!

I guess this tells me it is not the norm at least. Given my new normal is a lot more medical/dental than I have ever had I wasn't looking forward to the idea of multiple places owing me money.

I will try CRLLS suggestion of explaining happy to pay when they all match, how do we fix this, next time someone asks.

Last edited:
Once you receive your EOB, the doctor/dentists office also receives a copy and they are obligated to refund any over payment immediately assuming they are an in network provider. If they give you any grief, tell them you will be calling your insurance company to report the overcharge,
I did have one doctors office many years ago that insisted that I had agreed to pay in full any amount that the insurance company did not pay regardless of their contract with the insurance company. I think it was called balance billing and nowadays it's illegal in many states. I called my insurance company and reported him and never heard from his office again. I should have known the guy was a crook, all I had was a little cyst on my finger and he put me under full anesthetic at a local hospital to remove it.

Have never had this problem until we switched to a new dentist about 3 yrs ago.
We pay for Delta dental insurance privately as we lost employer coverage when I retired DH and I both consume a fair amount of dental care so the numbers fir the insurance work for us.

Both our old and new dentists are in network for Delta dental.
Old office would submit claim then bill us for our portion according to EOB.

Surprised that new office expected payment at time of service for anything except routine exam and cleaning.

They produce a one page contract specifying total cost of a crown/buildup for example $1900, ask for 50% up front.
Problem is the numbers are way off.
I played along the first time, knowing Id be due a refund.
Of course, after insurance calculated their 'allowed amount' and paid their half, I ended up owing hundreds less then office asked for at time of service.
Office staff didnt see this as much of a problem, assumed id be happy to just have a credit.

After DH experienced the same thing soon after, the practice now had a tudy sum of our money held hostage.

Very good dental care or we would have ditched them.
When I needed my next work done, i pointed out the credits on our acct when they again asked for up front payment.
Assured them that I would promptly pay any remaining amount due according to EOB.
We seemed to have reached an uneasy truce. Maybe cause weve proven we're not deadbeats.

Once you receive your EOB, the doctor/dentists office also receives a copy and they are obligated to refund any over payment immediately assuming they are an in network provider. If they give you any grief, tell them you will be calling your insurance company to report the overcharge,
I did have one doctors office many years ago that insisted that I had agreed to pay in full any amount that the insurance company did not pay regardless of their contract with the insurance company. I think it was called balance billing and nowadays it's illegal in many states. I called my insurance company and reported him and never heard from his office again. I should have known the guy was a crook, all I had was a little cyst on my finger and he put me under full anesthetic at a local hospital to remove it.

Oh I reported them to the insurance company a few days ago. The insurance company put me on hold and called them to remind them of their obligation to issue a refund. So far nothing has happened. It is just really odd. I wasn't sure if I was just behind the times or what. We are weeks past the EOB so I do not think I'm impatient but IDK.

momoftwo, ugh.

Last edited:
badatmath, you are VERY far from impatient. So very frustrating Im sure.
Really odd that even the insurance company hasnt seemed to make an impression on the office.

momoftwo, I was thinking about your dental experience and I really don't get it. They KNOW the $1900 charge isn't going to be correct. . . so why do it? Are they really making bank off the float? That seems just so unlikely.

Hard to figure.
The behavior of the office staff never seems nefarious just persistently wrong.

Do you ask for a refund or let them keep the money as a credit on your account?

For medical stuff, I usually ask for a refund. The problem with the credit is that (IMHO) my experience with medical office staffs is that things like credits they tend to forget the next time you are serviced, and I do not feel like constantly reminding them. Better to request the refund. I can recall 3-4 times when they hedged; as was mentioned above I got my insurance company involved and within a day or so the matter was addressed.

I have had more issue with the turnaround time for the refund... many places are quick to charge you, but when a refund is due, in the past several said "it will rake 30-60 days due to our accounting cycle".

For us, the issues with refunds have definitely declined over the years, and the last two times we were overcharged, the day after the EOB came out we were contacted by the provider and were told the refund was on the way, and it was received (CC credit) within a few days of their call.

For medical stuff, I usually ask for a refund. The problem with the credit is that (IMHO) my experience with medical office staffs is that things like credits they tend to forget the next time you are serviced, and I do not feel like constantly reminding them. Better to request the refund. I can recall 3-4 times when they hedged; as was mentioned above I got my insurance company involved and within a day or so the matter was addressed.

I have had more issue with the turnaround time for the refund... many places are quick to charge you, but when a refund is due, in the past several said "it will rake 30-60 days due to our accounting cycle".

For us, the issues with refunds have definitely declined over the years, and the last two times we were overcharged, the day after the EOB came out we were contacted by the provider and were told the refund was on the way, and it was received (CC credit) within a few days of their call.

Nice to know the process works sometimes!

Nice to know the process works sometimes!

Yes - and when I find a provider whose office staff is easy to deal with in these matters, I will continue to use them and recommend them to my friends.

It is one reason we moved from our previous dentist. They made us feel, when the procedure charge was less than what we paid in advance, that is was *our* fault, and that we were inconveniencing them asking for a refund. A typical conversation:

Us: You charged us $XX for this, but the EOB from our insurance company says we should have been charged <$XX

Them: Well, that is what they told us the charge was at the time.

Us: Okay, so when can you refund the difference?

Them: The person who handles that is not in, we will leave them a message, they will call you.

...A few days go by with no response... so we call

Us: We called a few days ago about this, the you said could handle this was supposed to call us back about this, but they have not.

Them: Well, we left them the message. They probably tried to reach you but you were not in.

Us: We have answering machines on all of our phones and no call or message came from your office. What is that persons schedule?

Them: I don't know.

... eventually we call and reach the person...

Us: This is about the refund we called about that we left a message that was to be given to you about our refund request.

The Person: I never received any message, what is this about?

Us: (describing the situation again)

The Person: Let me check on this...

(a minute goes by)

The Person: I have to send this to our central office for processing.

Us: How long will it take?

The Person: I do not know, it depends on their cycle, probably at least 30 days. It is out of our control at that point.
-----------------------------------------------
We stuck with them for a while as they had a couple of very good, honest dentists, who were not pleased with the office staff when we raised the issue. I think this just got the office staff mad at us, and eventually those two dentists left the practice. For that and other reasons, we found a new dental practice soon after they left.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom