Peculiar E-Trade phone call

MichealKnight

Full time employment: Posting here.
So on the other end of the phone was a fellow telling me he's my advisor, account exec - honestly I forget the title he used.

He then politely informed me that I had lots of money in VFMXX and that he could get me a better rate. (I believe VMFXX is 4.4-4.5% these days.). I felt a bit weird that without my asking for 'help', someone called me to talk about things I've invested in. Anyhow I told him I'm happy to look at anything via email, but that I had to go.

He used the word "um" at least 7 times in this short conversation. I guess I'm a fuddy-duddy. Conversational skills count for me, and as someone who made countless sales calls in my previous life, I guess the "um" thing isn't my jam. I certainly am not a master of the King's English - but seriously if I'm calling people to discuss decent sized investments, they're going to at least feel that I spoke well.

Anyways I get an email from him - I was actually interested to see if they had something better. Well - it's merely their regular promo offer. -$500k deposit.....get $1,200 bonus. Didn't really sound like beating VFMXX to me even if I added e-trade's 3.5% savings rate.

Weird call.

Back
Top Bottom