Penfed Visa w/ 5% Cashback on Gas

jazz4cash

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
How do they do this??

I’ve had this card for many many years. It pays 5% cash reward on gas in the form of a statement credit every month. Some other store cards offer 5% (Target, Lowe’s) but they are obviously cutting into their margin to do this. Penfed is somehow taking this out of the merchant fees? I’m not even sure they still offer this card. They tried to get me to switch to a different reward format a few years ago but I declined. I only use this card for gas. Just curious how they are doing this.

They tried to get me to switch to a different reward format a few years ago but I declined. I only use this card for gas. Just curious how they are doing this.

Yes, they tried very hard, and then kind of gave up. My impression was that they got enough people to switch that they could eat the remainder. There are still some of us here who hung onto it, and most of us do as you do, use it just for gas. Hard to beat.

Often the higher rewards cards change the merchant more for the transaction.

I think they just eat it or hope to make it up on the fees they make when you use it for other things. I only use it for gas.

Because for every user that pays the bill off in full each month, there is another user that doesn't and gets charged 20% per year in interest and the occasional time skips a payment and gets charged $35 late payment.

The balance carrying person, is attracted to the card for the same 5% reason, "I'm saving 5% on my gas, and only carrying a balance of $1,500" :eek:

Sheesh. You guys are making me feel like a deadbeat…. Oh, wait…..

Back
Top Bottom