Personal Domains With E-mail

I don’t really understand the OP’s logic here. The reason Google has done this is to improve security for people using their services. It seems counterintuitive to avoid improving upgraded security for what? The price of upgrading to a newer mail client? Copies of newer versions of Outlook are definitely cheaper than having an identity theft incident or other type of security breach.

The time and effort to move to a different email hosting domain just to retain the use of an older client seems a bit strange to me.

It does seem like a gigantic hassle for next to nothing. I presume all Gmail addresses will be trashed and replaced by usernames@mydomain.com. Consider the resultant emails needed to be sent to everyone requesting them to update their address books to the new mydomain.com email addresses plus the need to login to every website that has your Gmail address and change the email associated with your username.

All this would need to be done because one refuses to get a new version of Outlook and have it access your Google account *one time* using two factor authentication.

Or am I missing something?

Plus - I’ve used every version of Outlook since it was introduced and the inbox rules have come along just fine during upgrades. They can even be exported and imported.

Thank you for answering my question regarding this.

Not counterintuitive to me at all. Changing mail client is almost 100% guaranteed to be a PITA. Probability of a breach because of not upgrading is tiny. 0.0001%? I don't know, but I evaluate it as nearly negligible. I am running Tbird and if accommodating this new Google thing looks like a hassle I will try to duck it.

I just finished my 3rd or 4th re-reading of Daniel Kahneman's "Thinking Fast and Slow." One of the things he talks about is how we humans typically overestimate tiny risks. Evolution didn't program us to intuitively grasp probabilities.

Sorry - upgrading from Outlook 2010 to 2013 in place is like not an issue but whatever.

BTW - it’s not a new “Google thing” but an industry standard. If what you do is good for up - stay with it. My recommendation to the IP stands.

Last edited:
Yes, we bought a personal domain > 20 years ago, and use it for emails, etc. Over the years we have used a couple of different companies to provide us email and other services related to our domain. I like our setup and not using some large “free” service. We don’t mind paying for what we want.

which e-mail service are you using?

If that's right, then I'll do it. Pls report back from the battle.
I've been using T-Bird for ages so I thought I'd better check its settings. Only to find it's already set up with OAuth2. Could that have been the default setting when I was setting up T-Bird on Win 10?

Sorry - upgrading from Outlook 2010 to 2013 in place is like not an issue but whatever.

BTW - it’s not a new “Google thing” but an industry standard. If what you do is good for up - stay with it. My recommendation to the IP stands.

minimum accepted OL2019.

I have a personal domain. Originally got at GoDaddy then transferred to Google Domains when GoDaddy's got rid of free email and cost was too high.

I have my domain mail forwarded to GMail. I used to use standalone software but I have extensive filtering set up. Also I love the extensive search capabilities.

minimum accepted OL2019.
I think your answer is there. It will cost money to upgrade your Outlook version in order to continue with the same features you've been using, and the same email. So you'll commit to $69/year, and get on with life.

I have about 30 years experience setting up email and domains for small business.

Along the way I also did this for my own domains, for learning and testing. I also have my personal domain set up with Google workspace for many years. Recently I added the account to Thunderbird, as I am letting go of the personal domain and email, as it is no longer necessary for me. So I was able to download every bit of email from say 15 years.

But I digress. What I think you should know is that unless you employ a service to do your email, it will become a burden. You also may run into spam problems, and have your domain blacklisted.

Managing email is one giant PIA. When I think of giving up my gmail accounts (personal, purchasing, social) and going to a personal domain, I shudder, as it reminds me of work.

...What I think you should know is that unless you employ a service to do your email, it will become a burden. You also may run into spam problems, and have your domain blacklisted.

Managing email is one giant PIA.

Wow, that's very different from my experience. I've had e-mail since before most people knew what it was. Ditto for my own domain names.

About the only thing that isn't a hassle is e-mail. I'm using GoDaddy for hosting, although I've used a series of others. My low-end, personal-use hosting account comes with more free e-mail accounts than I'll ever use. I set them up so long ago, and change settings so infrequently, that I had to write down what I did, since I'll have long since forgotten by the time I go to change anything.

Where we agree is that it's not worth the hassle of changing e-mail providers just to avoid updating Outlook. I abandoned Outlook years ago. Thunderbird has been great for me, and there are other good clients.

It gets a little trickier on mobile devices, since the big names (Apple, Google) want you to stay in their ecosystem and share all your account information with them. But even so, there are good third-party e-mail apps. I've used K-9 mail for years, but haven't really kept up with which are the best apps available today.

I'm surprised so many of us have email on our own domain. I used everyone.net for email until they closed. At that point, I couldn't find another cheap provider, so went to Google, still with my own domain. Thunderbird on the PC and K9 on Android for me. DW uses Gmail on her phone, nothing on the PC.

Count me as another annoyed by Google's wrangling in the name of security. If there's an annoyance that's not easily overcome, I'm out.

I think your answer is there. It will cost money to upgrade your Outlook version in order to continue with the same features you've been using, and the same email. So you'll commit to $69/year, and get on with life.

I have about 30 years experience setting up email and domains for small business.

Along the way I also did this for my own domains, for learning and testing. I also have my personal domain set up with Google workspace for many years. Recently I added the account to Thunderbird, as I am letting go of the personal domain and email, as it is no longer necessary for me. So I was able to download every bit of email from say 15 years.

But I digress. What I think you should know is that unless you employ a service to do your email, it will become a burden. You also may run into spam problems, and have your domain blacklisted.

Managing email is one giant PIA. When I think of giving up my gmail accounts (personal, purchasing, social) and going to a personal domain, I shudder, as it reminds me of work.

Wow, that's very different from my experience. I've had e-mail since before most people knew what it was. Ditto for my own domain names.

About the only thing that isn't a hassle is e-mail. I'm using GoDaddy for hosting, although I've used a series of others. My low-end, personal-use hosting account comes with more free e-mail accounts than I'll ever use. I set them up so long ago, and change settings so infrequently, that I had to write down what I did, since I'll have long since forgotten by the time I go to change anything.

Where we agree is that it's not worth the hassle of changing e-mail providers just to avoid updating Outlook. I abandoned Outlook years ago. Thunderbird has been great for me, and there are other good clients.

It gets a little trickier on mobile devices, since the big names (Apple, Google) want you to stay in their ecosystem and share all your account information with them. But even so, there are good third-party e-mail apps. I've used K-9 mail for years, but haven't really kept up with which are the best apps available today.
I quoted my entire post and your response for the convenience of readers.

If one only includes the last two paragraphs of my post, it is not really an accurate summary of the entire post.

I've managed mail in several different ways for clients over that period. I was giving the OP bits of my experience. Thanks for your comment.

Why wouldn't use your own domain?

I have used my own domain for email for almost 20 years. LESS spam, multiple emails, i.e. one for online shopping, one for general email needs and one that is "private". Inexpensive, great value. Lots of storage. Having a separate email for shopping, whether it's online or brick and mortar, you keep the "important stuff" clutter and spam free.

You have full control of spam filters at the source and because you don't have a common domain, less likely to be spammed. You can easily use your IMAP mail in Outlook, T-Bird or just use a browser. IMO it's safer, easy.. EASY to manage and I'm not worried about gmail having everything in there little lap. I do have a gmail account and I bring that into Outlook as well.

You can archive all of your mail on your desktop, backup and store offsite as you need. So many advantages I can never go back. With IMAP v POP, you synchronize across all platforms. Plus, if you need to add a family member, you can set their mail up in 2 minutes and not worry about it being sold as soon as you do. For $40-$60 / year, money well spent.

I have used my own domain for email for almost 20 years. LESS spam, multiple emails, i.e. one for online shopping, one for general email needs and one that is "private". Inexpensive, great value. Lots of storage. Having a separate email for shopping, whether it's online or brick and mortar, you keep the "important stuff" clutter and spam free...

please, which provider are you using?

I've been using (https://www.enomcentral.com/) for my domain and email, which I think Two Cows purchased. Pleased with their service and pricing.

So, buy a domain name and then add an email pack. Here's a quick example

Example, the domain name Old-Fire-Guy.com is $49.95 then you just add an email pack, 10 Gig of storage is $1.00/month. Your domain can be a combination of your first name and last, or even your initials and last name to make it easy for others to remember. I added an email that is Shopping@.....com for my internet shopping. If spam ever comes to this address, I know it's from some internet purchase..... My primary email is my first name@lastname.com. Which is only for banking and other "important" transactions. Hope this helps.

I've been using (https://www.enomcentral.com/) for my domain and email, which I think Two Cows purchased. Pleased with their service and pricing.

So, buy a domain name and then add an email pack. Here's a quick example

Example, the domain name Old-Fire-Guy.com is $49.95 then you just add an email pack, 10 Gig of storage is $1.00/month. Your domain can be a combination of your first name and last, or even your initials and last name to make it easy for others to remember. I added an email that is Shopping@.....com for my internet shopping. If spam ever comes to this address, I know it's from some internet purchase..... My primary email is my first name@lastname.com. Which is only for banking and other "important" transactions. Hope this helps.
thanks...you're doing precisely what i'm doing...different email addys for different purposes.

i'll check into your provider. do they support older versions 3rd party email clients like Outlook? answered my own question on their website. it looks like i'll need a separate e-mail package for each email addy i want to create. correct?

Last edited:
we've been using Google e-mail forever along with MS Outlook as our e-mail client. we use 10 different @gmail.com addresses for various functions...friends & family, online shopping, forums, finance and banking and so on. google just announced that as of may 30th they are dropping support for "less secure 3rd party apps" and our version of Outlook will no longer be supported.

i do not want to upgrade Outlook or use G-Mail as a client as I have an extensive list of Outlook rules used to sort the incoming mail. so I'm looking to establish our own domain and create the email addresses we need. i've been searching the web and am considering GoDaddy. $1.99 per month with unlimited email aliases. we don't need storage since everything resides on our PC.

is anyone here using a personal domain/e-mail? looking for suggestions. thanks.

Just a thought - I use several gmail addresses for email and the gmail client. I have rules, and tags in gmail. I can find any email or group of emails by searching. It is simpler than all the Outlook rules. You could consider using the gmail client and simplifying.

Just a thought - I use several gmail addresses for email and the gmail client. I have rules, and tags in gmail. I can find any email or group of emails by searching. It is simpler than all the Outlook rules. You could consider using the gmail client and simplifying.

thanks, appreciate the post but I have close to 250-rules for the various e-mail addresses we use.

I am a web designer with my own managed server, so I have many domain email addresses. I actually tell my clients to USE GMAIL vs. their own name@company.com because GMAIL is BRUTALLY AND PROFOUNDLY more bullet proof than most mid level paid solutions. (My offering is $275 per year for a hosting account which also includes unlimited email addresses, either real or forwarding). You should be OK, but there's a better than average chance you'll miss an email or miss getting an email TO someone now and again vs. GMAIL

Back
Top Bottom