Philadelphia - should I retire there?

gretah

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm a west coast city gal. I'm thinking of moving to Philadelphia or Atlanta.

I'm interested in museums, ballet, volunteer work, making new friends.

If you live or have lived in Philadelphia, I'd love to read your opinions and comments.

Thanks for your help!

gretah, if you’re a west coast city girl, why are you considering a move to the other side of the [-]world[/-] country? If you care to share the reason, it might help fellow forum members respond to your question.

I live outside Philly. I’m not a fan of the city itself, but it has museums, various types of theater including ballet. I pretty much just hate crowds and city driving. Atlanta would have the same issue. Philly does have the benefit of easy access to NYC and Washington DC and their cultural activities. Atlanta would be warmer most of the time, but not this week.

When considerably younger, I spent a lot of time in Philly (still have relatives in nearby Bucks County). based on what you say interests you, i would certainly recommend trying it. perhaps renting first (hear there are some nice new high rise developments in downtown as I have friend whose daughter started living and working there). The downsides relative to Atlanta are weather and COL. Atlanta has quite a few museums and of course is a good bit cheaper, especially tax wise.

Why not go where the weather is warmer AND they have excellent museums, art, performances? ——. Sarasota, FL.

Atlanta has bad traffic but as a retiree you can avoid it. I moved from Silicon Valley to outside Harrisburg. I love the 4 seasons. I'm 3 hrs by train/car from NYC, under 2 hrs from Philly, Baltimore, DC. I spent a day in Manhattan just before vacationing in SF area. Other than extended family and a few friends there, I don't miss it. There's tons to see and do even outside the big cities. I have a better social network here. It's cold right now of course. I see you are in Washington state. It can be cold there and it rains and rains. The thing is doing things to develop a social network, wherever you are.

I thought SF was really deteriorated from when I lived there. NYC is in much better shape. Much less drugs, begging, and garbage.

You might want to consider Connecticut. Easy access to all the things you like, and a generally nice place to live too.

I'm a west coast city gal. I'm thinking of moving to Philadelphia or Atlanta.

I'm interested in museums, ballet, volunteer work, making new friends.

If you live or have lived in Philadelphia, I'd love to read your opinions and comments.

Thanks for your help!
I was born in Phila. and have lived in or nearby my entire life.

Just looking at google search page (phila. museums), across the top are the more famous museums/sites.

Pennsylvania ballet - Home - PA Ballet

NYC is not too far, and many more attractions await. Same for Washington DC. and many other places within a 100 miles or so.

I haven't been to Atlanta yet, so can't compare for you.

Philly has 4 seasons. I read complaints from folks about that, but I do prefer the complete cycle. Philly in Spring and Fall is fantastic. Today we shoveled about six inches of snow from the driveway. Tomorrow we may take a drive further out to farmland scenery in South Jersey, and enjoy.

Public transportation is a plus.

If you come for a visit, start every sentence with "Yo" and things will work out.

I was born and raised in SoCal. I spent my 30's in suburban Philly (Glenside, PA) and spent a lot of time hanging out in center city for arts/culture/etc. I moved to Atlanta briefly - and HATED it. Words are not strong enough for how bad it was (for me, not impuning others who have had more positive experiences.) Some of that negative experience was certainly due to a very bad job fit and what I describe was my impressions and experiences... yours might well be different. But Atlanta was bad enough that I cut my losses, quit my job, and moved back to Philly in less than 4 months.

Pluses and minuses for Philly:
- Lots of culture, art, etc. Decent public transit to and around the city (Septa trains)... even a train to the airport which means you can leave your car snug in your garage when you leave to warmer climes for winter vacations.
- I like snow - so that was cool. And I like older architecture - lots of old, interesting buildings in and around Philly.
- Decent availability of outdoor stuff to do - hiking/skiing/rafting in the Poconos. Jersey shore for beach. Boating on the Delaware river. Hiking/trail biking in Wissahicken park.
- Summers are VERY humid. No bueno for this California girl. You pretty much need to limit outside time to early mornings and evenings and spend the rest of time in air conditioning or a pool.
- People are more direct. It's a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get)... if a clerk or service person is having a bad day they don't hide it... This took some getting used to but I came to appreciate.
- And... I hesitate to mention it... but it was a shock how open some people about racist attitudes. Especially in the burbs. More overt. Not everyone... but it was there. Statements like "I don't go into the city because there are too many of those people there"...(said by a former coworker who lived/worked in the burbs.) In California, at least in my experience... if people feel that way, they hide it. It is what it is.

Atlanta:
- More temperate weather... but a snow storm that dropped 3 inches of snow shut the place down for a week. (Same storm shut Philly down for 3 days with 3 feet of snow.) I did not stay for the summer but I would imagine it's hot and humid... as bad or worse than Philly.
- Lots to see and do. Lots of hiking/mountain biking (but be ready for orange mud if you go mountain biking.) Stuff to do in town with large parks like Piedmont Park.
- At the time ('96) it was high crime... I hadn't realized this when I moved there. I had my car broken into twice in the <4 months I lived there. I had packages stolen off my porch.
- People are nice... smiles, friendly. But they are not necessarily warm/excepting. I learned that "Bless her heart" was not as nice as it sounds. Compared to Philly with WYSIWYG interactions I had to learn to be skeptical about people's intent behind their smiles.
- I was a single professional and I found it hard to meet people outside of work... Everyone seemed to pair off and move to pool/tennis communities.
- Decent public transit in the city. MARTA (the light rail) goes to the airport... but does not go into every county. For example it stops at the Gwinnet county line. (I worked in Gwinnet, lived in the city in Fulton... coworkers had to drive to park at the edge of their county.)
- While I was there I looked at some up and coming neighborhoods that I found charming but others might not... they've since boomed. I was looking at Grants Park, 5 points, (and loved Virginia Highlands but couldn't afford it.)

It will be a cultural shock with either city... and whichever way you go be ready for that. Whichever way you go I strongly urge you to rent (vs purchase) a place to live till you see if you like it.

Actually Atlanta is not that humid except for a few days here and there. Many do not realize we are well above sea level in this part of GA and near the foothills of the Appalachian mtn range.

I'm a transplant for decades from the New England/NY area, and would never go back other than to visit mainly for two reasons cost of living and the unfriendliness of people unless you are family or otherwise well known to them. Much happier in an Atlanta suburb. Very few people in the metro area are natives to GA many are from all over and many like my small subdivision are much more diverse,which i like, than back in the north east. "bless his/her/your heart" as an insult made me chuckle. It truly is an insult (essentially meaning "what an idiot" I believe) but Ive only heard it used in movies about the south, never yet in 40 yrs in person

Last edited:
We moved from So CA to Philly for career reasons. One of the happiest days of our lives was the day we flew to CA to move back. While Philly does have great access to DC & NYC, as well as having some good museums of its own, we did not like the weather. Loved fall but the other 3 seasons were not conducive to outdoor enjoyment. Service staff (waiters, bartenders, etc) are MUCH friendlier in CA and seem to genuinely care about providing service. I’m fine with direct communication but don’t like service people who are unfriendly and borderline rude. Also, suburb where we lived totally lacked diversity which bothered us coming from CA. We were able to make some local friends but traveled on business a lot so that impeded social connections.

DH is from Atlanta. I have been there several times but have never lived there. Weather is milder than PA but hotter and more humid in the summer. Personally I would choose Atlanta over Philly as I prefer warm weather and have always enjoyed visits there, but if museums and culture are your priority, Philly is probably a better choice given the proximity to NYC & DC.

I agree with other posters - rent first and try it. If you own a home in CA, keep it and rent it out. Otherwise it could be hard to get back in. We sold our home in CA for around $850K, moved back a year after we sold, and had to pay $1.1M for a smaller place in the same general location.

Based only on a couple of visits each place (Phily and Atl.) I'd pick Atlanta in a heart beat. Besides the cold weather in Phily, the attitude in Atl. was better for my tastes. Agree that you have to give it a try (rent) to make such a decision. YMMV

Philly is a dump. My wife went to undergrad in collegeville. The closest I ever liked getting to philly was KOP. For the few times we ventured into philly it was always a disaster. Horrible traffic...ghetto neighborhoods intertwined with rich areas...nasty people...expensive...oh and horrible traffic. No thanks...I never have to set foot in that city ever again.

If you're a west coast girl, why not somewhere closer to CA like Denver, Albuquerque, Boise, Phoenix, Salt Lake City etc? They all have there pros and cons but I would look at some of those. Well actually I wouldn't as I'm not interested in a big city.

Why not go where the weather is warmer AND they have excellent museums, art, performances? ——. Sarasota, FL.

I would love to discuss The Benefits of Sarasota, FL more, but this is not the Forum. I have mixed feelings about the general area.

As a life-long metro ATL resident, I would not advise moving here.

ATL has its good points for younger professionals moving for a j*b, young families, etc. As a soon-to-be retiree, I will quite happy to leave it behind.

The downsides relative to Atlanta are weather and COL. Atlanta has quite a few museums and of course is a good bit cheaper, especially tax wise.

I don't think Atlanta is any cheaper than Philly. Sperling's says their overall COL is about the same Cost of Living Comparison: compare Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to Atlanta, Georgia

And tax-wise Georgia's state income tax rate is 6% while Pennsylvania's is 3%. Philly has a nasty wage tax in the city but that should be a big issue for a retiree. The sales tax in GA is even a little higher than PA (depending on the local plus-up), and PA does not tax clothing or groceries.

Atlanta and Austin seem to have a good chance get the new Amazon HQ2 and Philly is not that far back in the running, per the pundits. The city that is chosen (and perhaps of course a different city will be) will likely see housing prices go up and increased traffic with something like 50k new jobs being created. Something to consider--maybe wait til the HQ2 is chosen by Amazon before making your decision.

Last edited:
Having lived here for many decades and also having family and friends in the Philly area, believe me ATL is much cheaper to live. my prop tax is 1600. for more than an acre. Would be at least 6 to 8 times that around Philly. Sales tax is much higher too. The GA state does not tax either SS or pensions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom