Phones

My thoughts are slightly different on this matter: I am a firm believer that most people should have some kind of emergency calling thing.

+1

A few years back my sisters got my Dad a cell phone for emergencies when he was out and about on his electric scooter. They programmed it so he only had to press and hold the "1" key to call sister A, and to press and hold "2" if he wanted to call sister B. To call 911 was press and hold the "9" key.

A couple of weeks later sister A had to take her husband to the hospital for an appointment one evening and she knew that Dad would be worried. This was in February and she called him at 8:30pm to tell him that all was well. To continue his "training" she called his cell phone, but no answer. She called his land line and he immediately picked up. She asked why he didn't reply when she called his cell phone, and he replied, "So that explains it! I thought it was the sound of the ice cream van and would have gone out to buy one, but it's dark and snowing."

Very interesting information with this thread. One question I have is how about faxing? Granted, I don't do as much as I used to but it's still important. I keep my landline mainly for this purpose.

imnotmuchyungrnu, but this doesn't appear to be confusing and will turn your cell phone into a multi-handset "home phone".

Amazon.com: Panasonic KX-TG7642M DECT 6.0 Link-to-Cell via Bluetooth Cordless Phone with Answering System, Metallic Gray, 2 Handsets: Electronics

You don't place your cell phone into a cradle, you use your bluetooth (wireless two-way) connection to tie your cell phone to the home system. Comes with 2, 3, 4 or 5 handsets.
I often find Amazon's pricing curious.
The phone system noted comes with two handsets for $78.98. You can bump that up to three handsets for a mere $79.99 a whole extra $1.01, but think twice about going for four, because that will cost you $120.99.
Pssst, buy the three handset option.

Very interesting information with this thread. One question I have is how about faxing? Granted, I don't do as much as I used to but it's still important. I keep my landline mainly for this purpose.
I do not use FAX but they say:
Make and receive faxes through the hook up of your DUO device as you would with a traditional phone company landline. Just simply plug you fax machine into the device.
So at this price you could have 2 NetTalks and 2 numbers.

Note: I have my DUO and DSL modem plugged in to UPS so when power goes out I have Internet and phone for a while. Laptop and cell phone have no problem as long as they are charged. Our power outages are usually short YMMV.

Amazon.com: Panasonic KX-TG7642M DECT 6.0 Link-to-Cell via Bluetooth Cordless Phone with Answering System, Metallic Gray, 2 Handsets: Electronics

This phone is very interesting when POWER goes out:

What happens to your phone when there's a power outage? Nothing, with this new Panasonic phone featuring Power Back-Up Operation. A powerful battery back-up system keeps you connected so when the power goes out. Keep a charged handset in the base unit and you can still make and receive calls with the other cordless handsets.

Last edited:

This phone is very interesting when POWER goes out:

What happens to your phone when there's a power outage? Nothing, with this new Panasonic phone featuring Power Back-Up Operation. A powerful battery back-up system keeps you connected so when the power goes out. Keep a charged handset in the base unit and you can still make and receive calls with the other cordless handsets.
The talking caller ID is pretty cool and the display looks very readable without my getting my reading glasses. Also the pricing right now is towards it's low range.

These days I scan and email documents rather than faxing them.

In the rare instance that you need to fax, there are internet based services that can do that from your computer - I haven't used them but know they are available.

These days I scan and email documents rather than faxing them.

In the rare instance that you need to fax, there are internet based services that can do that from your computer - I haven't used them but know they are available.

I think I got this from this forum - I don't remember which one.

Set up your computer to send and receive faxes

I have not tried this either but it is on my todo list.

.......... Many phones can use it, but there are some models to stay away from.......

I'm interested in Page Plus as an emergency phone. How do you know which phones to stay away from and why?

Try ting.com for cell phone service. They use the Sprint network and have OUTSTANDING customer service; an actual person picks up the phone after a few rings. Cost is $6/month per phone; you get charged for minutes, texts, and data, however, it is very inexpensive. You only pay for what you use, so you don't have to lock yourself into some monthly plan for minutes, etc. If you don't make any calls in a month, it is $6 bucks. You pay full price for phones, but don't get trapped in the long contacts with expensive monthly charges. We have 3 smartphones and 1 flip phone, and I have never paid over $95 in the approximately 7 months I've had the service. I even have a teenager who can rack up the text messages. Ting also just started a service where you can bring over certain Sprint phones to their service.

For landline, we use Ooma. I have the premium service which is $13.50/month, however if you don't want all the bells and whistles, you pay $3.50/month. If we lose power, I have a UPS for back up power.

Last edited:
Re: Fax
We've used Vonage for about 5 years... Right in the beginning, we used our old fax machine to send info back and forth... no trouble at all, though it seemed to work slower than over the landlines.

RE: Emergency callers
Picked up an emergency caller at a resale shop for $3. Works well. It's a pendant thingy, that communicates with a small box connected to the phone service. Works this way.
Pressing button on pendant triggers the box to sequentially call four different numbers, with a prerecorded 15 second message. "This Mr. Smith. I have a problem. My telephone # is 555-5555. When the call is received by relative or neighbor, they can respond and will be heard by the Mr. Smith, who can then call out with the nature of the problem... "I've fallen and I can't get up."
The messages will be sent sequentially over and over. Does not involve 911.
The Safety 1st Automatic Caller I have, is no longer manufactured, but there are equivalent systems available on line for $50 to $100.

In our home, built in 2000... in a senior community, we have pull-cords in most rooms including bathrooms... This is a hard wired service that connected to a central emergency center. The monthly service became so expensive $30/mo. that our residents opted out, though the service can be activated on an individual basis... an option if circumstances require.

Re: OP... After ordering Magicjack, I looked up the process to port, or change to my current telephone number. From online discussions, it looks like a zoo. Going to the website, sends one on a wild goose chase that ends with no explanation except to direct a new customer (must already have a phone and be registered) to the process... Am mighty suspicious... but will come back and report as part of the experiment.

We keep a charged old cell phone in both cars (no service) in case of a real emergency, and if we forget to bring a live phone with us. Dunno where the 911 call will go... gotta check on this. :)

edit to add:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_telephone_number#Emergency_numbers_and_mobile_telephones
and,,,
http://andreas.com/faq-cell911.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom