Plumbers grease

cbo111

Full time employment: Posting here.
This may be in the running for obscure question of the month, but I am asking if anyone has a recommendation for a brand of plumber's food-grade grease?

If it has to do with plumbing, Oatey is always a good choice.

Thanks, its for an exterior whole house water filter, specifically the o ring that seals the canister.

I use one as a home brewer but unfortunately I am away from home and do not remember the brand. You may want to take a look at Northern Brewer, an online homebrew supplier or look at some of the forum's homebrewing discussions and reach out to one of them.

Aren't all plumbers grease suitable for use in potable water systems. I mean, it is plumber's grease, used for (older) faucets etc. I never gave it a 2nd thought. Asking for a friend.

Aren't all plumbers grease suitable for use in potable water systems. I mean, it is plumber's grease, used for (older) faucets etc. I never gave it a 2nd thought. Asking for a friend.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

….but, yes, I would agree. Plus, unless you fill the whole inside of the pipe with the grease, there is such a tiny amount that comes in contact with the water that it would have to be seriously poisonous to have an effect. It’s not comparable to the lead pipe fiascos in Michigan and elsewhere.

Well, since there is a distinction for "silicone food-grade" grease, I'd guess there's more to it. Also, those which are silicone food-grade are more expensive.

On Oatey's website, for one brand of their plumber's grease in the FAQ is the following:

FAQ

Can you use Hercules 300 Degree plumber's grease where it may come in contact with potable (drinking) water?

No. This product is not NSF listed.

Until I saw this thread I had never heard of "plumber's grease" but I guess it could be very useful in some situations.

As savory implied, I think many homebrewers would be familiar with something called Keg Lube which is a silicone grease. Since it's specifically for rubber o-rings, and that seems to be the OP's need, I would think it would be suitable. Most decent homebrew shops should carry it.

Attachments

• keg lube.jpeg
    keg lube.jpeg
    14 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom