Pokemon Go

I wish I'd written it, but I won't play it. There's too many other more interesting things to do beyond games.

My 9 year old son is hooked. I've noticed quite a few folks in my 'hood who seem to be playing. Not my cup of tea, but glad that people seem to be enjoying it.

I would never consider playing it. However, at least they are out getting exercise instead of sitting in front of a tv playing a "regular" video game all summer. I guess that's a good thing as long as they look up once in a while so they don't walk off a cliff or into traffic(both actually happened). Also, as long as they are not spending money they can't afford on all the add-ons.

Recent article says the company that wrote the software is making their money by selling all of the data they download from your phone. They were initially downloading everything they could access. They got caught and backed off a bit. They're still pulling a lot of data off your phone when you download the game. The game is free, so that's how they make their money.

Pretty sure the only thing the game accesses is your camera and gps. There were rumors that it was downloading people's Google information if you used google to log in, but that was debunked as well.

I can see the addictive power of a game like that, and would say I'd rather see folks out and about playing Go than sitting around playing candy crush or FarmVille or what have you. I have quite a few friends who are playing it with their kids, which I think is great.

Having recent issues riding the bike in the midst of PGO players. I have to look for zombies! My bell, my voice, my shouting seems impervious to these zombies looking at their screens. Then when I slide by, they get ticked off at me for scaring them.

My DW and my 9 yr old granddaughter are both hooked, but I think wife is the one who is really serious about it. I don't participate except that when we go for walks I have to stop periodically and wait while she tries to catch nonexistent objects.

Evidently, our town green, which is a block away from my house, is one of the sites for catching a monster, so it has been swarmed with kids and their phones in recent weeks. While we we coming home from the grocery today, we saw one young fellow walk headlong into a lamp post because he was so engrossed in his phone.

Last edited:
Our family has been playing and it's a lot of fun. We're out and about together and it's been a great bonding experience with our teenage kids.

I enjoy walking around and playing the game. Something to do.

I play - and so do my sons. We went to see the star trek movie today - and while I drove, DS was hitting every pokestop on the way - gathering the pokeballs. Fortunately most of the pokestops in our neighborhood are at stoplights with long light cycles so he had time to access the pokestop before the light changed. (I was driving). Unfortunately, we have a lot of stoplights with long light cycles.

At the beach yesterday with the kids I was able to catch several water types in between body surfing sessions. And recharge at the lifeguard station pokestop.

Downside - this thing will drain your phone super fast.

It's fun. Stupid, but fun.

Last week's family annual meetup.... Son 1/fiancee and son 3 were enjoying this. The couple are both San Fran engineers and avid climbers. of both rocks and mountains. S3 is big firm auditor who diligently works out and loves the outdoors.

Fiancee got ticked at lack of monsters (?) at our location and, from our pontoon boat, just bought Nintendo stock for short term enjoyment and, hopefully, profit. (She won and cashed in)

So, for those millennials, it was harmless fun. DW/me not so interested!

An article in the Sunday paper about a couple guys who are offering to play for you for $20/hour. Talk about seizing an opportunity!

It is a fun game. I enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I'm 66 years old and have just started playing with my 6 1/2 year old grandson. Lots of time to discuss maps, directions using the sun and any other thing that comes up. I had tried geocaching but this is much more fun. My grandson is thrilled whenever we're able to capture something. Making memories ~~

I am not sure how it works, but seems like another opportunity for distracted driving and walking.

About a week into the data cycle and its 35% utilized.... Wife sent a text to the kiddies cool it...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forumh

Back
Top Bottom