Poll: Do You Use Cash Apps (e.g. Venmo)?

Which Cash App(s) Do You Use? Select more than 1 if applicable

• Venmo

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • Zelle

Votes: 60 40.8%
  • Apple Cash

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • Cash

Votes: 27 18.4%
  • None!

Votes: 56 38.1%

• Total voters
No, I don't have any of those, and thus far am surviving without.

I gave money to relatives recently - and - shockingly, I bought occasion cards and put in checks. They eventually managed to cash them. :LOL:

When the kiddos started school or enlisted, I took them to the bank, and opened up a joint account so I could get them money quickly if they needed it.

Zelle, Venmo, and Paypal for payments to and from family and friends.

Also when buying stuff off of craigslist I've used Venmo and Paypal.

Someone mentioned GooglePay. I use that often, but only for online vendors and stores.

Someone mentioned no protections also. Yes, be smart when first starting out. Do a $1 test payment. Or scan the persons QR code to make sure you have the correct info before sending.

I use Venmo, Cash app, and Zelle. Prefer the first two. Mostly for transfers between family members but definitely have used all of them for transactions with outside folks as well. Never had a problem and they are definitely convenient.

I started using Zelle a few years ago when I was cleaning out the house and selling mass quantities of items. Someone bought my patio table without seeing it while camping. They sent the money by Zelle. I also use it with my friends.

I use Venmo, Cash app, and Zelle (mainly to [-]receive payments from[/-] send money to other folks).

We use Venmo quite a bit, especially for sending/receiving [-]funds from our kids and grandkids[/-] money to our friends, siblings, nieces, nephews, etc.

+1

In our circle, Venmo is by far the most popular way to send/receive money. But the Cash app is becoming more common and seems to be the preferred method for most small, independent contractors and service people, e.g., plumbers, landscape workers, shuttle bus drivers, house cleaners, etc.

We use PayPal for ebay, DH does a lot of ebaying, buying and selling.

We do a lot of sending and receiving money with our 2 sons. We give them cash gifts for birthdays and anniversaries. They pick up something for us at Costco. We get dinner together and they pay their part, etc. We used to do all of this with cash or PayPal.

And then I was doing a bank promo bonus deal and the bank gave a big incentive to try Zelle. I set it up between some of our own bank accounts (different banks) and also used it with sending money to the kids. I like that it is instant. And I like that it is done through your bank app rather than a separate app or logging into another website.

Now when I need to send one of the kids money I ask, Cash or Zelle? Sometimes they still like cash but more often it is Zelle.

Haven't tried Venmo. Is it instant like Zelle?

Last edited:
Have used Cash, Venmo, and Papal in the past. No more.
Kids live close, so whenever we gift cash, I write a check, cashiers check or give actual cash (this is the most often used)

Venmo and Paypal. Don't use either very often, but sometimes it's easier to get money to kids.

No, I don't have any of those, and thus far am surviving without.

I gave money to relatives recently - and - shockingly, I bought occasion cards and put in checks. They eventually managed to cash them. :LOL:

When the kiddos started school or enlisted, I took them to the bank, and opened up a joint account so I could get them money quickly if they needed it.

Last time I mailed my DD and SIL a check, it went uncashed for a couple of months. I finally texted them wanting to know what the deal was and apparently they only open mail on an "as needed" basis. They found my envelope (and check) at the bottom of their mail pile. Still took them two weeks to actually deposit the check, LOL.

I've never used Zelle, but Venmo payments show up at the receivers app in seconds, so yes.

There has been a lot of press recently about keeping the apps balance minimized, so, if hacked, the loss is minimized. I don't think the app guarantees that balance if stolen. Usually after every transaction I transfer the $ balance to my bank using standard delivery, which is free. So, instant payments and free of charge.

I have PayPal which is how I get paid for my tours from the company (I'll be interested if I get double 1099's this year with the new reporting requirements). I created a Venmo account as a tipping option and have had exactly one tip this year via Venmo. I also have them linked to a "throwaway" checking account that I zero out each month.

I'd rather pay with a reward card and use cash to pay friends any debts owed.

Have used Cash, Venmo, and Papal in the past. No more.
Kids live close, so whenever we gift cash, I write a check, cashiers check or give actual cash (this is the most often used)

I didn't realize that the vatican had anthing like that:rolleyes:

As for us.... NOPE, none of them We don't trust any of their "security"

{<checks self> hmmm, not quite a Luddite}

There has been a lot of press recently about keeping the apps balance minimized, so, if hacked, the loss is minimized. I don't think the app guarantees that balance if stolen. Usually after every transaction I transfer the $ balance to my bank using standard delivery, which is free. So, instant payments and free of charge.

Hacking is one thing, but lots of people took cash out of PayPal when someone pointed out that their "acceptable use" policy includes fines of $2,500.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/emilym...ncerns-remain-over-2500-fine/?sh=6c996d6630c4

Episodically use Venmo mostly with transferring small amounts of money between kids and friends. I dont keep a balance but use it as a conduit. Same with PayPal which links to my credit card.

Not directly related but am a big fan of ApplePay as well.

Never used anything like that. Venmo is the only one I even knew existed. I see no need for any of them. Cash is still King IMO.

I've used Zelle when selling items on Facebook that were to people out of state.

I prefer Zelle because it's instant bank to bank.

With Venmo and Paypal, I don't like that the funds that you receive are in the "app". Then you have to manually transfer to your bank. I believe there may be a way for it to hit your bank sooner, but you have to pay a small fee or % of transfer.

I see no need for any of them. Cash is still King IMO.

IMHO, it's much easier to use an app on your phone to give a tip to an airport shuttle bus driver than to worry about carrying around enough $1 and $5 bills all the time. ATMs don't dispense anything smaller than twenties. Using an app means I never have to think about or plan for having the right amount and denominations of cash on me.

I voted "none" but I have an Apple Cash account that accumulates cash-back from my Apple Mastercard. Once in a while, whenever I can remember, I transfer that cash to my bank account. I've never paid with the cash app since I get cash back when using any of my CCs.

No. I occasionally use our banks interac e transfer to send funds via email to our daughter.

Not a fan of having any third party like that having access to our current account.

I've used Venmo and Zelle, but only when someone has asked me to send them money either of those ways and there aren't any other options. I don't use it for my own needs ever. With Zelle, as noted by at least one other person in a reply, because the protections are severely limited, after I use it, I remove my account. The number of times I've used them is 5 or less between the two. I prefer using Paypal to send money as I am comfortable with it and its security having used it for 20+ years.

Last time I mailed my DD and SIL a check, it went uncashed for a couple of months. I finally texted them wanting to know what the deal was and apparently they only open mail on an "as needed" basis. They found my envelope (and check) at the bottom of their mail pile. Still took them two weeks to actually deposit the check, LOL.

I am running into this as well! A couple people in my life only retrieve and/or open their mail occasionally. I can’t imagine that, especially when the mail is hand-addressed, like a birthday card. Changing times…

And I use Venmo occasionally. It has been convenient.

Back
Top Bottom