Poll: Fuel cost for ground transportation as % of annual spend

What % of annual spend goes towards fuel for ground transportation?

• <2.5%

Votes: 86 72.9%
  • 2.5% to <5%

Votes: 24 20.3%
  • 5% to <7.5%

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • 7.5% +

Votes: 5 4.2%

• Total voters
Not concerning, but higher than I expected given working from home and no road trips - 2.1%.

I think it makes some sense to look at your gas spending if you are considering a new car, to see how much impact you'd have going to a hybrid or EV or even just a more efficient gas burner. In my case I went the wrong direction with a slightly less efficient car, which will cost me around $400/yr at $4/gal. In my defense the gap wasn't supposed to be this much, but other Outback Wilderness owners are also reporting lower than the EPA estimate. I was a lot closer with my Forester, so don't blame it on my driving style.

What % fuel is for anyone else, I don't have the slightest interest.

0.1%
I love driving an EV ;)

Did it push up your Car insurance and electrical costs as a % of overall budget at all?

Time for another poll, this time asking for total transportation costs as a percentage of expenses.

This time, we will see people saying they are so loaded that the lease/insurance/tax of their EV Hummer is a measly 1% of their living expenses. :)

Around 5% but that is only because my overall spending is very low compared to average. I estimated $600 in gas out of $12,000 in overall spending per year.

Auto:Fuel TTM is 4.94% per Quicken. I expect my fuel costs to drop about in half soon with some life changes by my offspring.

I find it funny that so many people get all bent out of shape about the price of gas but if they sat down and figured out the miles they drive divided by average milse per gallon time the cost of gas that it is usually a very small part of their total budget.

I don't get bent out of shape. With most budget categories, I'd rather pay less than more.

But for me, on a TTM basis, Auto is my fourth largest spending category (after College, Food, and House). And Fuel is my largest subcategory within Auto (thankfully beating out Repair, Maintenance, Insurance, Misc, and Depreciation). So paying some attention to optimizing Auto:Fuel and the other large categories seems worthwhile even if unnecessary in the grander scheme of things.

I haven't tracked it but I need fuel about every 4 to 6 weeks (about $40 to $60.) That's gotta be less than 2.5%.

In terms of increased costs due to fuel, for me, its costs of goods and services that have gone up due to increased fuel prices. I suspect that's MORE than 2.5% but I have no adequate way to estimate the effect. YMMV

Fuel costs and vehicle upkeep are not an issue as I switched over to Toyota Hybrids 4 years ago. The Camry Hybrid got 49.5 mpg. My year old Venza SUV Hybrid gets 42.5 mpg, and we're running the wheels off it.

My biggest personal expense is auto insurance (2 vehicles), boat insurance, RV insurance and 2 homeowners' insurance policies.

<SNIP>

My biggest personal expense is auto insurance (2 vehicles), boat insurance, RV insurance and 2 homeowners' insurance policies.

What a great point. I just realized that my car costs more for tags and insurance than for fuel. Of course, only way to change that is to drive more miles which means more fuel. Think I'll just keep on doing what I'm doing though YMMV.

Around 5% but that is only because my overall spending is very low compared to average. I estimated $600 in gas out of $12,000 in overall spending per year.

I've put $600 in fuel within a week, when taking a longer trip in the motorhome and filling up 2-3 times. Depending on fuel costs, typical fill up is $100-250 for approx 1/2 tank. Been at the $250 cost range this whole year, diesel is still a lot higher than gasoline.

Aaron, you certainly live low cost at $12K per year overall! I don't think I have lived that low since getting out of college 35 years ago. In college I could get by on less, but once out and working I have been more.

0% this year with EV.

Solar on the house provides all the electricity for the house and car.

I've put $600 in fuel within a week, when taking a longer trip in the motorhome and filling up 2-3 times. Depending on fuel costs, typical fill up is $100-250 for approx 1/2 tank. Been at the $250 cost range this whole year, diesel is still a lot higher than gasoline.

Aaron, you certainly live low cost at $12K per year overall! I don't think I have lived that low since getting out of college 35 years ago. In college I could get by on less, but once out and working I have been more.

Heh, heh, 50 years ago, I was living on $12K. Ahhhh, the good old days.

Did it push up your Car insurance and electrical costs as a % of overall budget at all?

A bit off topic but...
Insurance remained flat, electricity costs went up by about 25% of the amount gasoline costs went down.

Happy to chat about it, but should probably take any more comments about it to the EV thread:cool:

My fuel costs are $0.04 per mile!

That’s the cost of 250 Watt hours of electricity here. Enough to go one mile. $0.12174 per Kilowatt hour.

Think out of the box! :)

Well, we have a hybrid EV, live in an urban area, work from home, and barely drive more than 20 miles (the battery's limit most of the time). We've put gas in the tank twice in 2022 and there's one-third of a tank at present. No major trips planned, so we'll probably make it to mid-October before needing a fill.

I ran the percentages. Our fuel cost is 0.142% of the annual spend.

Well, we have a hybrid EV, live in an urban area, work from home, and barely drive more than 20 miles (the battery's limit most of the time). We've put gas in the tank twice in 2022 and there's one-third of a tank at present. No major trips planned, so we'll probably make it to mid-October before needing a fill.

I ran the percentages. Our fuel cost is 0.142% of the annual spend.

Shades of 2020! I must have filled up about 3 times. And gas was still "cheap!" YMMV

0% this year with EV.

Solar on the house provides all the electricity for the house and car.

Nice! Possible thread detour: how much did the solar setup cost and how long will the payback period be? If you answer, please also share geographical location.

Nice! Possible thread detour: how much did the solar setup cost and how long will the payback period be? If you answer, please also share geographical location.

I didn't do a detailed cost analysis, but solar cost about $20K net of rebates and payback should be just over three years.

Located in Northern California which helps: Electricity from utility is expensive (PG&E) while sunshine is abundant.

Roughly 3.5% of our gross income.

While we drive a lot of miles, the less economical of our cars still gets about 28 mpg.

Mine is close to 4%. I have a long commute. I live in Hawaii where fuel costs are high as well. The percentage was higher precovid. I work from home quite a bit now.

Last edited:
I don't keep track. I bought a new car at the beginning of the pandemic and have driven very little (late 2019 and just turned 10k for all that time). Before that time I may have driven 15-20k/yr. I imagine most people have driven less than usual during that time so I am not sure how useful the information would be anyway. Too many other variables as well.

Cheers!

3% YTD, ~1.5% is probably due to a road trip but I'm planning another so 3% is probably about right for the full year too.

With a little planning ahead on road trips, one can drive a mile or two away from the interstate and save 30-50¢/gal...not always worth the inconvenience but some are right off state highways with few lights so only adds a couple minutes to the stop... especially if there is a Walmart/Costco/SAM's club at the exit... they are usually busy but put pricing pressure on the nearby stations!

I didn't do a detailed cost analysis, but solar cost about $20K net of rebates and payback should be just over three years.

Located in Northern California which helps: Electricity from utility is expensive (PG&E) while sunshine is abundant.

That's excellent. I live in Michigan where the payback is more questionable.

Back
Top Bottom