Poll: What day do you go grocery shopping?

What day do you go grocery shopping?

• Monday

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 14 10.2%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • Thursday

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • Friday

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Saturday

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Sunday

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Multiple Days, as we need to.

Votes: 86 62.8%

• Total voters

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Just for fun I thought this would be a pleasant diversion. I know some may go out multiple times, but in general we plan to go on one day. We will go to costco at different times as it is further away and usually once a month.

We go on Saturday Morning early now. We used to go on Wednesday as that is when Aldi posts their sale items for the week. But we found they did not have a full stock of items till Saturday, so we changed.

Thursday, the reason why is because new sales for the week come out. Also, trucks come in on Wednesday and new stock is in and on display. Less people even though we live a very rural small town. My wife only buys sale items and does a terrific job and saves huge amounts of money throughout the year.

More often than not, I go on a Thursday morning, every other week. However, if we run out of milk or something important on Tuesday, say, I'll just do the whole grocery run early. I avoid going on the weekends or late in the day, because it's always crowded with working people then.

Usually the day we run out of food +/- 1

Ditto. Nor do we have meatloaf every Tuesday.

One of the joys of retirement...you can do what you want when you want.

Multiple days, probably 4 or 5 days a week. We shop for MIL also and she has short but frequent lists. I’m in jewel now.

Usually Friday morning. The stores are well stocked for the weekend and haven't run out of anything yet.

Thursday - senior discount (5%) day at the local supermarket! A no-brainer really, although I will shop on other days, when I really need something (rare).

Multiple days, but not in the same week. Just go when we need too, mostly late in the evening, or early am.
Costco runs are about 8pm, 30 minutes before closing--good time, especially during the week.
Really try to avoid any kind of in person shopping anywhere on weekends.

We usually shop twice a week on Thursday and Sunday, but I voted Thursday because that would it if we only shopped once a week. It’s not unusual for me to also shop other days if I’m out and Harris Teeter (added discounts for seniors on Thursdays), Trader Joe’s, Target or Costco are on the way - I wouldn’t go out of my way.

Last edited:
It can vary from week to week, driven usually by when I am getting low on milk. But if milk is the only critical item on my list, then I will just get some at the local mini-mart and postpone my general shopping trip for several days so it can build up some more.

I try to avoid weekends because the store is more crowded. Indeed, that is a big benefit to having stopped working full-time; going shopping at 10:30 AM on a non-holiday weekday is always pretty quick and easy.

I try to make my supermarket trips coincide with doing other errands. The drug store is next to the supermarket. The bank, library, post office, gas station, and a second library are on the way. Everything is open at 10:30 AM on a non-holiday weekday, too.

We go multiple days as needed. I really dislike waiting in line, so will usually go a few times during the week and not buy over 10 items. We also use a food service, so that cuts down on the total food needed at the supermarket.

One of the joys of retirement...you can do what you want when you want.
+1 We're retired, so we can go whenever the mood strikes. No special day.

Mostly Frank does the grocery shopping, out of habit since he did it while I was recovering from total knee replacement, and then from Covid, and various more minor stuff. Guess I'm aging faster than he is.

Anyway, I have been inside the grocery store only about twice in the past six months.

When he goes, he calls and asks me what I need. Most days we eat one meal of take-out from local restaurants, and restaurant meals are huge so I don't need much else, either nothing or just a sandwich later in the day. I order non-perishable things like coffee and peanut butter from Amazon, and he gets blueberry muffins for breakfast from DD, so except for bread and butter (and Diet Coke for him) we are pretty well set without making a grocery run.

DW hardly goes any more. She just keeps a want list and when she has an immediate need or just wants to clear the list she orders it all on line. A few hours later she goes to pick it up, just waiting in her car for them to bring it out. We're too [-]cheap[/-] frugal to pay for delivery.

I shop frequently. I avoid weekends and afternoons, so I may go on 3 or 4 mornings during the workweek.

First Wednesday of the month we stock up as the grocery store has a 10% off senior discount. Then we buy milk and a few other items usually Sunday on the way home from church or Monday. It depends on if we run out of something.

I don't go in person so anytime I feel the need. My Walmart now has a 3 hour lead time for a pickup order. This is the best thing that happened from Covid. I'll never go back to in person shopping

I have 3 grocery stores within 1/2 mile of me so I pop in whenever I'm walking in the neighborhood and think of something I need. There's also a Trader Joe's that I drive past. I use a bit more thought for visits there, trying to only go in from 8-10 a.m. on a weekday.

We go as needed, to a choice of about 10 Walmart/Costco/supermarkets within 15-20 minutes of us. Many times it will depend on other errands/activities we are running. These days we rarely go about and about just for groceries.

The most consistent (as I did this morning) is hitting Costco most Thursday mornings for COFSDASH™. But with Costco ending this hour after 4/16 that will likely change.

We try to be more consistent with timing - either very early (when the stores open) or late in the evening, to avoid the crowds and get it done quickly.

For our big shopping days, we seem to be going more often on Saturday and Sunday mornings... (Twice a month) Just not enough (if any) cashiers on weekday mornings. I'd use the self checkout if they had more room. Self checkout is okay for ~10 items but not a full basket(s).

Last edited:
I don't go shopping weekly. I have a garden, a freezer, and get most of my dry goods delivered (I've found it is less expensive than local markets). I've been doing a curbside order about once a quarter since the pandemic started for the things I can't easily get another way.

Back
Top Bottom