Poll: Who's the Head Cook at Your House?

Who Does Most of the Cooking at Your House?

• Mostly DH (incl no DW)

Votes: 32 31.7%
  • Mostly DW (incl no DH)

Votes: 42 41.6%
  • Pretty even between DW & DH

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • Mostly restaurants, defrosting prepeared foods, carryout, professional chef, etc.

Votes: 8 7.9%

• Total voters
I chop and wash dishes by hand,
Is that a karate-chop move, or do you use an edged weapon?

... no new fangled electric dishwasher here.
Another reason that I own the kitchen is because spouse has picked up enough Corelle at Goodwill for us to fill the entire dishwasher before we run out of bowls or plates. I can pack the dishwasher so full that we only run it a couple times a month...

I needed an other option here. My 15 year old daughter does most of the cooking. No, we don't require her to do so. She insists as she really enjoys cooking....

I needed an other option here. My 15 year old daughter does most of the cooking. No, we don't require her to do so. She insists as she really enjoys cooking....

How about #4?

Amazing that so many men are the primary cooks, a sea change from just a generation ago. I enjoy cooking, DW tells people I am the better cook between the two of us, though she is the master when it comes to baking or desserts in general. Of course she probably says I'm better to keep me enslaved in the kitchen. How did this happen?

Pretty much evenly distributed as each tends to prepare their own, although large meals such as Thanksgiving turkey or when we're having company, are a jointly shared effort.

DW is the cook although I can rustle up a couple dishes when I have to, such as DW being sick. I am also the main soup maker. She is getting to the point where she hates to cook. Says she's done it long enough and she is sick of it. I try to help by doing the clean up. That is totally my job. The only meal we fix is dinner. Never breakfast or lunch. Does cleaning up count at all?

I do the cooking, the only thing that DH can whip up when I travel, or work late is a bowl of cereal. He's lived on cereal and fast food for weeks at a time....

I do the cooking, the only thing that DH can whip up when I travel, or work late is a bowl of cereal. He's lived on cereal and fast food for weeks at a time....
I figure if a man can't feed himself he deserves to starve. ;)

I was always the stay at home Mom and he was out in the working world so I was the cook. He always cleaned up so it works well. He's been retired for over a year and a half and we've kept things the same. Breakfast and lunch is on your own but I plan a dinner and cook it. I like to grill in the summer, DH doesn't use the grill. He's capable of cooking, just doesn't do it.

I have no sense of smell and very little sense of taste so I'm kind of a plain cook. DH likes my cooking just fine and he likes when I try a new recipe.

I've been the chief cook since the evening back when we were dating that DH invited me over for dinner - a ham slice cooked in fruit cocktail sauce served over minute rice. We still laugh about that meal. Fortunately I love to cook!

About alls I do is bake bread, an occasional pizza, make mustard, make ice cream, cook chili, sausages & peppers, broil steaks, and roast coffee.

Last edited:
DW, a great cook, does the cooking. I clean up after dinner. Since I've never cooked much, I prefer that role. I slipped into the clean up roll after retiring because DW's dishwasher skills lacked engineering discipline. So I showed her how to do something she had been doing for 25 years. Yep, now it's my job. (Nords warned me at the time, but it was too late.) I do the grilling, but I catch flack from DW if it's not perfectly cook to her liking. For big events, like family reunions and fund raisers for charity benefits, I barbecue a pig. But that is more of all day long [-]beer drinking[/-] social event than a cooking job. But hey, someone has to do it.:D

Nemo2 said:

+1

I started cooking when I was in grade school, and with both my fils working, I had to fend for myself for breakfast and lunch. I always have liked PB&J sandwiches and lunchmeat sandwiches....but not everyday, thus I learned to cook! I'll never have to worry about starving!!!

My wife does most of the daily cooking. However, when we host a big family dinner for Thanksgiving or Christmas, I would spend a lot of time to help out.

Occasionally, I would take over the kitchen and try to make some new dishes, as my wife likes to stick to what she knows and is not so willing to do something different.

DW, a great cook, does the cooking. I clean up after dinner. Since I've never cooked much, I prefer that role. I slipped into the clean up roll after retiring because DW's dishwasher skills lacked engineering discipline. So I showed her how to do something she had been doing for 25 years. Yep, now it's my job. (Nords warned me at the time, but it was too late.) I do the grilling, but I catch flack from DW if it's not perfectly cook to her liking. For big events, like family reunions and fund raisers for charity benefits, I barbecue a pig. But that is more of all day long [-]beer drinking[/-] social event than a cooking job. But hey, someone has to do it.:D

Ref the cleanup. As you mentioned, my DW also lacked the engineering discipline to properly load a dishwasher in my opinion. I could easily rearrange the dishes and get in one or two more. Then she would get that tight jaw and her eyes would narrow and like you said, I've had the job ever since.

I slipped into the clean up roll after retiring because DW's dishwasher skills lacked engineering discipline. So I showed her how to do something she had been doing for 25 years. Yep, now it's my job. .:D

My SO did the same thing . I ignored him a few times so now he rearranges the dishwasher while I watch TV .

+2 to Goonie's plus 1.

My Mom isn't much of a cook, and when I left the house, I decided I should learn how to cook for myself.

When people of my parent's generation found out I lived alone, they always said stuff like "Oh, you must eat a lot of frozen TV dinners". "Uh, no. Never bought one, made Coq-au-Vin last night". Bugged the heck out of me. This was during the 'feminist' movement, and if you said the flip-side of that to a female you'd be considered a Neanderthal, and/or get sued!

But after many years of DW cooking, my skills are rusty. I'm getting better, but it's a struggle. I always end up with far too many dirty dishes and pans for a simple meal, and it's almost always late. But DW has never said 'no' to any offer of me cooking up a 'Lou' (Lou Malnati's Chicago Deep-dish spinach/cheese pizza). Mmmmmmmmmmm, there ain't nothin' like a 'Lou' (an acquired taste perhaps, it ain't your typical pizza, very subtle, more like spinach & Bruschetta and cheese than zingy pizza sauce -but man is it good).

-ERD50

When I was wooing (trying to impress the future DW), I mentioned I was a cook in a French restaurant for 3 years and they sent me to a 3 week cooking school. It may have sealed the deal for her to become DW but it also made me head chef............:)

Back
Top Bottom