Portfolio value before and after ER

Isnt this similar to the graph FIRECalc creates when they compare success outcomes for the different scenarios? How much money you have leftover after so many years?
Kindalike, I guess. FIRECalc starts with a single scenario and shows every possible balance that might happen based on what it "knows" about (from historical market fluctuations).

The chart I posted shows one "actual result" for each person who reported on this thread. So if a person found their "dot", and merged it with a FIRECalc run from the day they retired, they could see which one of the squiggly lines they were currently tracking.

39 is really outside of the band I had been considering. I was thinking ER was 55 +/- when I made my comment.

Just for fun, I plotted the data using the CPI numbers from an "Irrational Exuberance" spreadsheet I already had.
But you can see why someone with a ~15 year longer time line might be a little less aggressive in their portfolio drawdown.

Hmmmm - something not quite right amount your graph. Why are some years missing and multiple points on others?

Looks like it is >80% ahead one year and suddenly break even the next year? Also illustrates how being way ahead can sometimes go poof. But until your graph is corrected, I can't be sure if that makes any sense.

Last edited:
Thought it might be interesting for folks who have ER' d to state how many years they have been retired and how their portfolio values today compare to the values when you retired (using a value of 100 for when you retired)

For me. 4.75 yrs. 129
for me, 23.8 yrs; 667 (I retired at age 53 in 1993. More than 40% of my retirement stash comes from inheritance. I also had a low-cost high-risk investment pay off far, far more than I could have ever expected. The holding period was 35 years with no income on the seemingly worthless asset. "Keep the land and the land will keep you.") :cool:

7 years retired, 126.

% of savings in Roth went from 0% to 26% and tax deferred now at only 24%. The 50% in after tax is all in equities.

4.5 years retired, 127. No pension or other income, withdrawal rate 4% +/- 0.5%.

Hmmmm - something not quite right amount your graph. Why are some years missing and multiple points on others?
It's a reflection of what people here typed in, that's all. Each point is an entry someone reported on this thread (adjusted for inflation). If we had age, or number of years until "plan end", it would be better to determine if people could be having more fun. Your point would shift to the left about 15 years, justifying being more conservative.

Attachments

• notEnufFun2.jpg
    notEnufFun2.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 37
It's a reflection of what people here typed in, that's all. Each point is an entry someone reported on this thread (adjusted for inflation). If we had age, or number of years until "plan end", it would be better to determine if people could be having more fun. Your point would shift to the left about 15 years, justifying being more conservative.
Oh, ok, I didn't understand that. I thought the Irrational Exuberance spreadsheet was some other data.

Last edited:
Kindalike, I guess. FIRECalc starts with a single scenario and shows every possible balance that might happen based on what it "knows" about (from historical market fluctuations).

The chart I posted shows one "actual result" for each person who reported on this thread. So if a person found their "dot", and merged it with a FIRECalc run from the day they retired, they could see which one of the squiggly lines they were currently tracking.
Thanks for clarifying. As others have stated, knowing the age for each data point would be informative, but not sure how it would be possible to have this on the same graph.

I RE'd back in August 2013 (3 years and 9 months ago) and NW now at 154...but my wife didn't RE until September 2015 so that helped out quite a bit. Our "income" is more than our expenses so we are still able to invest and keep our portfolio fairly heavy on equities at 70%.

A bit over 3.5 years since I fired in September 2013 and somewhere between 119 and 127 depending on which property values I use.

Just over 6 years, 125.

12 years
120 with no-cola pension covering our bare essentials at the start

4.25 years and 270

Wow. Your portfolio more than doubled in just over 4 years? How'd you accomplish that if you don't mind my asking? Was this totaling from appreciation or some other new source of funds?

Edit: I see that the OP clarified his response

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
DH retired almost exactly 9 years ago and I have been semi-retired during the same period. Assets up 192. Admittedly my contributions helped out a lot, but also DH retired 9 months before the trough (3/09) during which time assets declined to 75.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Yep. Instead of 110 my number would have been closer to 70, only four years after retirement. That situation really interfered with my daily nap.

Yeah....I did a lot of :banghead: during that period. But survived.

My numbers are similar to yours w/o inheritance over a 10 year period. No pensions during that period except for SS that I started just 3 months ago. Including money from family deaths, I'm around 180. I've probably been too conservative with my investments but have slept better.:)

I am at 132 which shocked me since I retired in Jan. 2008 and proceeded to lose 40% of my portfolio . From the drop to now I am at almost 200% .

If folks take inflation into account since retiring the result are a little less impressive.

Still, no question, the rally since the last bear market has been spectacular.

Back
Top Bottom