Poverty Prevention Programs for the elderly

Luck_Club

Full time employment: Posting here.
Poverty prevention programs. This group is probably not taking advantage of any personally, but may have helped someone not as fortunate as themselves to navigate to the proper program.

In looking to help in-laws by taking their housing costs off the table, (See related question here..
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/buying-your-parents-home-taxes-gifts-step-up-86863.html) we have discovered that the MIL is only getting $300 a month from SS (FIL may be getting a bit also), with no pension or other retirement income, @ 73 & 71 they continue to work where they are on their feet all day. The kids would like to make it easier on them so they can relax a little. But with that little of SS, they can barely feed themselves let alone turn on the lights. We now have a much better grasp of what is driving them to work. They literally have no other choice. I was under the impression that the social programs our country have put in place provided a base poverty prevention of around $16,000 per year for a couple and $11K per year for an individual.

By that measure, they would be able to stop working. In other words, my in-laws are suffering back, leg and feet problems, working to supplement their meager SS check, which is just enough income to prevent them from capturing the programs that would allow them to not work.:facepalm:

Any ideas:confused:?

I second OldShooter's suggestion. Contact your inlaws' county or state for resources for the elderly. Your relatives may be eligible for SNAP, subsidized housing, Medicaid, etc.

As for the SS amount, I'd suggest looking for government websites or websites like "how stuff works".. Getting into the details of requirements and eligibility would take too much time here, and might trigger unneeded discussion.

Almost every state has senior support groups or government support departments. The variations are infinite. Early on in our retirement, our state of illinois offered support based income tax reported income, with no requirements to report assets. During our earliest retirement years, over a period of three years, we received over $7,000 in various benefits... all legal and offered for the taking: reduced auto license registration, medical cost support, prescription drug special price, subsidized phone expenses and a number of other benefits like energy subsidized costs.. Unfortunately these benefits have been reduced to almost nothing, and at that, full financial disclosure required.

As a starter, try this government site which lists benefits by state:

https://www.benefits.gov/benefits/browse-by-state

Aside from that most localities offer different types of support... Religious groups, food pantries, free or low cost transportation benefits, and with a little bit of digging, really great sources of basic, real life situation advice from the homeless organizations. This may sound awful, but the people who run these groups may be the most knowledgeable and open with suggestions.

It's hard to convince persons who strive to be independent, to look for these kinds of sources, so third person support may be necessary to get the ball moving. This is not an easy project, and at first glance, there are roadblocks, but we've been close enough to seethe result of doing the groundwork. Depending on physical condition, a doctor's assessment might open the door to medicaid support, which would more than cover the amounts discussed in the opening post.

Best of luck in ressolving this.

Last edited:
Every state has a department of aging. I would make an appointment with a social worker to find out what is available. They can help you find out what they qualify for and assist with a plan to maybe sell the house, get low income senior housing, etc.

Any idea why their SS retirement benefit is so low?

This is the MIL's number as told to her son. According to him, she didn't have much in the way of earnings over the years. Mainly because the business she owned was only marginally profitable during most of her working years.

Based on everyone's tips, there seems to be a solution if they don't want to work anymore. I'll be having a conversation with FIL soon.

This is the MIL's number as told to her son.
hard to believe she isn't getting at least the current SSI amount (as over 65 not disabled) but she may have another reason for minimizing her income. Used to be SSA would apply an applicant to whichever program would grant them the highest $$ amount

Last edited:
This is the MIL's number as told to her son. According to him, she didn't have much in the way of earnings over the years. Mainly because the business she owned was only marginally profitable during most of her working years.

Did her husband earn more when they were accumulating their SS earnings history? One of them must have made enough to pay their bills all those years? A full-time minimum wage job all those years should have resulted in a payment of about $800/mo at early age 62, more if full retirement age? And then the spouse would also get half on top of that. So that seems like it would be a combined $1200/mo? Of course that's not a lot, but at least it's more than $300. They should contact their local Office for the Aging, or Agency On Aging for wherever they are located to see what local and state programs are available to them.

At plus 65 don't forget that all Medicare related premiums will come directly out of their checks. So the gross amount of the checks will be higher then the stated 300 dollars.

I know a lady who worked off the books and now has hardly any SS and is suffering for it.

She has this delusion that it is off the books you don't owe taxes. I tried to point out she is wrong but she wouldn't hear it.

Yeah, we had some relatives who were really good at having minimum income to declare for tax purposes, and as a result their SS was quite small.

Back
Top Bottom