Prague Budapest Vienna in March/April

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Does anybody have experience visiting Prague Budapest or Vienna in early Spring, March or April?

You're teetering on the edge of the seasons the first week or so of April. Often, Winter airfares are in place if you leave the last couple of days of March, however.

I have made the trip, also stopping at Bratislava, in April and the weather was just fine. Just be equipped for cooler weather and possibly rain that time of year.

If you need places to stay in Budapest or Vienna, PM me. I know a couple of great places.

Was in Budapest in March, 2011. It was during their Spring Music Festival, so we attended 1 or 2 concerts everyday. Classical, vocal groups, traditional Hungarian music, it was wonderful.

It was nice because the music adds to all the attractions, yet, being the off-season, nothing was overly-crowded. We bought some tickets ahead of time, but also from the tent they set up in the square, which also had day-of events that had not sold out, at half-price or something.

https://www.budapestbylocals.com/event/budapest-spring-festival/

Budapest Spring Festival (Budapesti Tavaszi Fesztivál)
March 29, 2019 - April 21, 2019

Weather is hit-miss, we had some nice sunny 70 F days, and some cool rainy days. Gourmet restaurants on the cheap. We did a lot of walking, the bridges, Margaret Island, and across the Danube to Buda (our hotel was on the Pest side), and we figured out the transit system pretty quickly, but it is all in Hungarian, so you need to study a bit to figure things out. Maybe the phone translators handle Magyar by now? They didn't in 2011.

-ERD50

DW and I were in Prague and Vienna this past April. Weather was perfect 60 to 70degrees fahrenheit. Also visited Salzburg and Amsterdam. Amsterdam was cooler, in the 40s and 50s. Got to see the peak tulip season at Keukenhof, 7 million bulbs blooming at once.

I took my DD to those three cities for her HS graduation in 2012. We went at the end of May. I just checked our photos and we are wearing light jackets most of the time but Budapest was hot.

Does anybody have experience visiting Prague Budapest or Vienna in early Spring, March or April?
We will be in that area from late April through mid-May. We are working with a great private guide, Patrick Penoff: bulgariaprivateguide@gmail.com https://www.bulgariaprivateguide.com/ He comes highly recommended by many travelers reporting in International Travel News. Search there for "patrick bulgaria"

Patrick mostly concentrated on Bulgaria but he is picking us up in Bratislava and we're driving south; Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, etc.

Even if you have no interest in using him, I'm sure he would be happy to answer any questions you have and/or to give you any referrals he might have for you.

Re: Prague in April

My family went to to Prague, Brno, Bratislava, Budapest in April 2017 and had a great time. Easter in Prague is funny with the Easter sticks, unless you're a female, lol. Came across a bunch of festivals. Sat outside in Budapest spas no problem.

Wife and I were in prague in early April in '15. It snowed and was cold. But once you got out and walked around, it was ok. Was not crowded and cheap. We had a good time but weather was cold at night and warmed up during day. Somebody on line had a walking tour with a great map you did on your own. Well worth cost 10-15 dollars. You will have to search for it,do not remember the site.Everything was within walking distance compact city as I recall.The univ. has a tour put on by the students, it was very good .Hope this helps.

Was in Vienna and Budapest in Feb 2011. Cold, dreary and grey. March and April have to be better.

Don't forget to visit my favorite restaurant in Vienna.
Boiled beef in Vienna at Plachutta
https://www.plachutta-wollzeile.at/?...1xdSB9Tq0AxNL8

We took the train from Vienna to Budapest. Nice way to travel. I was determined not to look like a tourist when we arrived at the Budapest train station by standing around looking at a map... not matter how lost I really was.

So, DW and I get off the train station and just keep moving like we had purpose. 10 steps and we are surrounded by men offering help and to be our guide. A quick look around and I see everyone wearing black and grey coats while I am wearing my bright blue ski jacket. Oh, the best laid plans!!!!

Thanks for the updates on the weather. My guess is that weather in Prague and Budapest will be similar to the cool, somewhat damp and occasionally sunny weather of my home town. I can deal with that.

Even if you don't want to do a lot of walking in the cold, there's no reason not to be there. Prague has a wonderful tram system as well as an excellent subway system. They will take you almost everywhere, so just get a day pass and you can get on and off all day without worrying about fares.

Was in Vienna and Budapest in Feb 2011. Cold, dreary and grey. March and April have to be better.

Don't forget to visit my favorite restaurant in Vienna.
Boiled beef in Vienna at Plachutta
https://www.plachutta-wollzeile.at/?...1xdSB9Tq0AxNL8

We took the train from Vienna to Budapest. Nice way to travel. I was determined not to look like a tourist when we arrived at the Budapest train station by standing around looking at a map... not matter how lost I really was.

So, DW and I get off the train station and just keep moving like we had purpose. 10 steps and we are surrounded by men offering help and to be our guide. A quick look around and I see everyone wearing black and grey coats while I am wearing my bright blue ski jacket. Oh, the best laid plans!!!!

We did a vacation to Prague and Vienna in May a few years ago and the weather was quite pleasant. Light jackets etc. In April, it will be little cooler, but you still shoudnt need a heavy coat, and it should be away from the crowds of the main summer tourist season.

I have had the good fortune of being able to travel to Vienna 3 or 4 times per year over the past few years for work, so I have had a good opportunity to see the city and the surroundings (alas, that will likely come to an end as I hope to retire in 2019. As Utah Skier mentions, Plachuta is good for Tafelspitz (boiled beef) but is a little formal for my personal tastes. A couple of my favorites in the same area are Da Capo (Italian food) and Peurstner for casual Austrian/German dishes. You will see lots of ads for Figlmeuller Schnitzel restaurants, but they are very touristy and you can get just as good of a meal at Puerstner or other local haunts, IMHO. PM me if you want more info.

I was just in Budapest, Vienna, Bratislava and Brno in August. We had 90 deg plus weather the whole time. It was so hot and unexpected. I was wishing that it was Spring or Fall. I really prefer the cooler weather. We took the train from Budapest to Vienna and back stopping on the way. The main line from Budapest to Vienna was over booked with backpackers and we sat isle until some people got off. The Vienna, Bratislava, Brno legs were good with nice uncrowded trains. The trip was still great fun and worth it but I'd go back during the shoulder seasons and save some money and skip the crowds.

My traveling companion went to Prague in mid winter last year and still liked it, snow, cold and all. I went to Berlin for a trade show and she took the train to Prague for a side trip. I really didn't mind Berlin in the winter but I did have an Arctic parka and one day I was out in the rain which wasn't so great.

We leave for Prague May 28, 2019. On to Olomouc, Vienna and Budapest. Somewhat concerned about the political environment in Budapest but I think it will be fine. I planned the trip myself with hotels.com in about 20 minutes. SAS offered the best flight tickets, I wanted to travel via one airline only. I chose to stay at apartments rather than hotels. They have washers and are very big, one is >900 sq. ft. with kitchens. Cost similar to a hotel. Was able to choose best locations and hotels.com will help with excursions and best restaurants etc.

I hope this turns out OK. I've never planned an entire vacation by myself. I just got a wild hair one day and thought "let's do this!" It helps that my DB is teaching for a year in Olomouc, but he had nothing to do with the planning.

While I love Prague and Budapest, one item to be aware of are the stag and doe parties on Friday's and Saturdays. Lots of parties come in from the UK and Western Europe , especially in Budapest, but to a lesser extent to Prague as well, since these locations are lower cost destinations. My flight to Budapest from Manchester on a Friday afternoon, was 90 % party groups, with only a couple of older couples that werent part of these groups. I don't find it a problem myself, but some may prefer to do these locales mid week.

While I love Prague and Budapest, one item to be aware of are the stag and doe parties on Friday's and Saturdays. Lots of parties come in from the UK and Western Europe , especially in Budapest, but to a lesser extent to Prague as well, since these locations are lower cost destinations. My flight to Budapest from Manchester on a Friday afternoon, was 90 % party groups, with only a couple of older couples that werent part of these groups. I don't find it a problem myself, but some may prefer to do these locales mid week.

Hopefully the partiers won’t be partying in the museums and historical sights.

Back
Top Bottom