Pre School, is it worth it?

Thanks everyone for responding.

The affordability is about 2,000 to 3,000 in addition to the Daycare costs we pay where our provider does in-daycare services.

TBH, we can't really afford it, not without me reducing my 401k contributions.

Knowing that, what are your thoughts.

Would you skip the family vacation for your kids to go to pre-school, or just say screw it and wait for them to attend Kindergarten?

If I understand this thread correctly, you've got two children in the same daycare and a third child on the way. You could send the oldest to a part-time pre-school if you either reduced your 401K contributions or gave up the family vacation. And sending the oldest one to pre-school would also cause other disruptions in various family members' schedules due to the different drop-off locations and times.

There is value in having both kids at the same day care place for as long as possible. A year from now, you will have to figure out how to get 3 young children to at least two different places every day because your oldest will be going to K then and the little sis and infant will still be in daycare. There's no need to start dealing with that complexity and additional family stress before you have to.

So no, I don't think 9 months of pre-school is worth it right now. I know you want to give each of your kids the absolute best thing for them at every decision point, but the fact is you cannot do that. Your oldest kid will always have to make some compromises for the benefit and convenience of his parents and younger sibs, and vice versa. That's just how life works in a family. Losing out on an opportunity to attend pre-school is the first of many compromises he'll make for the rest of you. I'm sure the younger kids will occasionally miss out on their own opportunities later on in order to accommodate big bro's activities as well.

The one thing I can see that might work for now is to put both kids into a larger daycare facility with a preschool program and an infant room that can also take #3 when he/she is ready for daycare. That means that Little Sis has to move now, even though she might be doing well at the current daycare, so again ... compromises. If it costs more and prevents you from saving for retirement or their college educations, then not worth it.

No, I wouldn't do it. Time with your kids is important. Vacation together is important. Not being strapped for cash is important. Saving for retirement is important. In the grand scheme of things, preschool loses.
Thanks everyone for responding.

The affordability is about 2,000 to 3,000 in addition to the Daycare costs we pay where our provider does in-daycare services.

TBH, we can't really afford it, not without me reducing my 401k contributions.

Knowing that, what are your thoughts.

Would you skip the family vacation for your kids to go to pre-school, or just say screw it and wait for them to attend Kindergarten?

My wife's response, based on almost 30 years teaching 3 year olds in our church's preschool, would be a question: How are his social skills in a group his age or does he experience a group large enough to determine that?

While some of the kids who came to her got the "school" part at home, most did NOT have the opportunities for social interaction with a large number (more than their age) of children. When I was a kid, we basically played outside until dark so had lots of opportunities for social development. That's not likely these days and many people live very isolated lives - which also isolates their kids from other kids.

Check with the local churches for what they offer. Many only charge enough to break even because the preschool is part of their ministry. The preschool at our church (Southern Baptist) was popular with families from India because of the caring staff. YMMV.

From an academic perspective, early childhood education is one of the best predictors of success later in life.

With that said, the caution with much of the research in the field is that parents who care about education are more likely to put their kiddos in Early Childhood.

It sounds like, if your daycare is truly doing a "preschool curriculum" it may not be worth the extra cost.

I went to pre school and don't remember a single day. I remember many days of kindergarten, my kindergarten teacher, the classroom, my friends and their names, the way the room was set up, nap time, the playground. Some of the happiest childhood memories. Is that unusual?

Since you say there are no signs of learning disabilities or social awkwardness, I say pre school may not be necessary. I would be very concerned if there were signs of social awkwardness because if this were left untreated it can be devastating even later in life for the child as an Adult.

IMO , based on what you wrote, pre school isn't necessary for the child. But I recommend nothing nor am I trying to give any kind of advice, this is only my opinion.

Not a bit of social awkwardness. He has been a part of large groups of kids at t ball and in Early Childhood ECFE. We did ECFE 1x a week Monday nights for 4 yeaes with him...and his sis is going now but he is too old.

He is not shy but when he wants to be outgoing he is. He just learned to ride without training wheels today. They grow up fast.

Our plan for this 'school year' is swimming lessons, dance lessons, and a day camp a few times this next summer. Kindergarten registration is in 4 months already. Who has time for pre school. I plan to help guide him 2 nights a week with some structured learning time. DW is on board as well. Not like we arent trying or involved. Supplement with trips to the 2 zoos we are memebers of the childrens museum, science museum, few ' field trips' and of course the library etc for some group activiites. I know our historical society puts on free kids events as well like stoey time with santa etc.

He is a super observant kid. He is into building...legos, Lincoln logs, puzzles, etc. I know home depot has some once a month activities for kids that we are gonna sign him up for as well. I think all this extra stuff will pay dividends later.

Our kids went to pre-school but my wife was home with them. Seems to me that day-care with a "pre-school" curriculum as well as extra curricular activities as you suggest would be fine.

One thing that we did that our children valued (they are now young adults) was that we taught them to read at 4 years old. We used the book "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons", which I see is still available on Amazon. Not only did it give them a leg up in school it was fun for them as well as a point of pride.

Our kids went to pre-school but my wife was home with them. Seems to me that day-care with a "pre-school" curriculum as well as extra curricular activities as you suggest would be fine.

One thing that we did that our children valued (they are now young adults) was that we taught them to read at 4 years old. We used the book "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons", which I see is still available on Amazon. Not only did it give them a leg up in school it was fun for them as well as a point of pride.

Thank you for this. I ordered it! Hopefully we will get some good results. If anything it's a tool to stay on track. The pace kids learn at is insane. We are starting to do addition, I am going to begin working on subtraction as well. Possibly teach him currency etc he knows what a Penny is but he thinks that is more valuable than a dollar bill lol ahhh the journey is real. :D

Signed him up for Swimming lessons, and we are going to do some of those home depot Saturday building classes that are free. Of course tons of events in town to keep him stimulated around our multi million person city. :D

I went to pre school and don't remember a single day. I remember many days of kindergarten, my kindergarten teacher, the classroom, my friends and their names, the way the room was set up, nap time, the playground. Some of the happiest childhood memories. Is that unusual?

I do have some distinct memories of preschool that I can still clearly picture the room. Did it impact my life? No clue.

Would I pay $2-3k more than childcare cost? No.

Our total all in cost for child care is about $3750/mo for 2 kids. I’m sure it varies some here and there. Strict supervision daycare would cost us maybe $500-750less/mo. For that upgrade cost I find it worthwhile (in terms of education and quality of the teachers/program).

I do have some distinct memories of preschool that I can still clearly picture the room. Did it impact my life? No clue.
You said preschool. After I post, I recalled a book:
All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten
Author: Robert Fulghum
I also recall my kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Zimmerman. I remember what she looked like and how she treated each and every one of us with respect. Yes, R. Fulghum captured my experience in kindergarten very well. I believe early childhood learning/experiences distinctly shape our future selves. I cringe at the cost of quality ECE today.

You said preschool. After I post, I recalled a book:
All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten
Author: Robert Fulghum
I also recall my kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Zimmerman. I remember what she looked like and how she treated each and every one of us with respect. Yes, R. Fulghum captured my experience in kindergarten very well. I believe early childhood learning/experiences distinctly shape our future selves. I cringe at the cost of quality ECE today.

Thanks, I just ordered this. I've been building my library as 2020 is the year I begin to read again. I haven't really read many books since college so I want to kind of catch up from the past 2 decades lol. Harry Potter, Halo and a few of the books the folks in the WWII thread I started suggested!

An update on DS preschool. I basically ordered a few books from amazon to help keep us on track, Teach your Child to read (a forum member suggestion), BrainQuest and another workbook, BrainQuest Flashcards and in the process of ordering this stuff on Amazon stumbled across a Kindergarten STEM program where when enrolled they ship 1 cool STEM related project each month. SO by the time he ACTUALLY starts Kindergarten with the district here after labor day (which he is now enrolled with about 73 other little pre schoolers) he will be well prepared with over 12 projects. We of course do all the field trips, library childrens and science museum, zoos animal sanctuaries and aquariums, etc etc.

There was a side benefit to me sort of stepping up the engagement. On top of taking it upon myself to teach him every week, others have noticed this commitment. For instance, for xmas he received a lot of educational and learning types of toys instead of just...plastic toys. Everyone knows what we are about now and I think the same will happen for bday.

His principal knew we meant business in the open house. I intent to make sure he is top of the class, if we miss the mark oh well we learn from our mistakes.

I want the district and my children to be proud of what we accomplish together and I know more than anyone literally anything is possible. I'll keep ya posted but so far the structure has really paid off. He is at the stage where he can read Dot and Cat books, and is starting to sound out words and reciting back the letters the words start with and sort of "checking" with me. He is right 95% of the time getting stuck on C and K and Q lol.

He is going to do so well at the school and of course we are proud. We already play at the playground so he will be used to that on day one.

OH PS...his grammar, spelling and punctuation will be much better than what you all see here in the forum lol.

Oh he is in Swimming, soccer, T-ball and also we are sort of learning how to Ski on the hills near home and learning how to ice skate on the rinks near. He is a helpful big brother getting sis dressed and putting dishes away, vaccum and trash. So he has a lot going on for a 4 year old LOL.

In retrospect I think I made the right choice with the options we had. Now the next challenge, Before and after care to get on off bus before we are free. Oh my what fun.

Last edited:
Pre-school was the best 6 years of my life! Without those years, I never would have been able to get my driver's license in the 5th grade. 😜

Also give him plenty of time to just be a kid and enjoy himself. Over scheduling leads to stress which kids don’t need.

I don't know if it has to be preschool, but I think it helps to have kids in social activities where they learn to make friends and play well with kids their own age. A couple of our kids' friends had an at home dad when they were little who didn't enroll them in preschool or attend playgroups, which were usually all moms. Those kids never really caught up socially and had problems making friends even into high school. I don't know if the preschool or playgroups would have helped, but I don't think they would have hurt.

His principal knew we meant business in the open house. I intent to make sure he is top of the class, if we miss the mark oh well we learn from our mistakes.

This generated the following thought vomit.

BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front)

Top of the class can often bring frustration

Long post here.

Be careful or at least be aware.

My youngest was born overseas (I was active duty). As best as they can figure, he contracted “Travelers Disease” in the hospital, and could not tolerate breast milk or any of the available formulas as it resulted in projectile vomiting. After 3 months of him not gaining weight even after having formula shipped from the US, I took leave back to the US and had him seem by a local pediatrician. They immediately admitted him into the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. Even if they could identify a formula he could tolerate, the microvilli in his intestines had been worn down so he could not absorb anything. They took a biopsy of his entire digestive system and custom made a formula his body would accept. In order for his body to absorb the formula, he was tube fed (kangaroo pump) the formula down the throat, into his stomach at the rate of one ounce an hour while he slept. To stop him from pulling the tube out and possibly pump formula into his lungs, his arms were splinted straight out. He was 4 months old when this procedure was started and lasted for almost 6 months.

There is a reason for this background. Skip ahead a year. He was finally able to take formula and eventually baby food but he was developmentally behind due him being confined to a crib with his arms strapped outward during a critical time for a child’s development. No crawling around like a normal child. At 18 months, he was still learning to stand much less walk.

Easter weekend we were at my Dad’s place, cooking Easter Dinner. My Son was barely standing up, holding on to one the kitchen chairs seat bottom. He lost his balance and plopped down on the floor but in doing so, drug his hands across the chair seat and proceeded to pull the chair over on himself. The chair had a beveled oval back and that back came down like a cleaver and chopped off his left ring finger just above the top joint. The tip of his finger was just being held on by skin. I flopped the tip back on his finger, wrapped his hand in a towel and we rushed him off to the nearest hospital (20 miles away in rural NE PA). We were blessed as there was a Pediatrician on call and AT the hospital who was able to administer an infant dose of morphine AND a plastic surgeon who specialized in skin grafts. Literally, 30 minutes later we were walking out of the hospital with my Son patched up. His hand was wrapped up for several months to allow his finger to heal.

Again, bear with me as this adds to the following.

That Summer, my organization had a Unit Picnic at a local park. After the picnic, we decided to stay around and walk though the park. Unbeknownst to me, one of the grillers decided to dump the charcoal briquettes away from the grills in the field. My Son was staggering 10 feet behind me as we walked around the lake and walked across the scattered coals. I had walked over them also but did not notice until latter that night when I took my softball spikes off and saw them all melted. My Son was not so lucky as he was in sandals. Once he hit the coals with side of his foot, he went down into them causing 2d and 3rd degree burns on his feet and legs. The saving grace was he used his bandaged hand to help him get out of the coals. I rushed back and tried to wipe the coals off him but some of them had already burned him to the shin bone. I rushed him over to a nearby water spigot and washed his legs off and the rushed him to the ER. He required daily debriding and re-wrapping from his feet to his hips for several months at the local clinic.

In the meantime, the ER was required to report this to the County Social Service for possible child abuse. They came out and after learning of his medical history (all the above), they determined that there was no abuse but were concerned about his development (gross and fine motor skills delayed). County Social Services came out twice a week and worked with him to bring him up to speed.

Within a year, he had exceeded their expectations and they stopped coming. In the meantime, he was learning from his older brother (5 years older) and we found that we could not keep up with his insatiable desire to learn.

We found a local private (Christian) school that would accept kids as young as 4 years old for Kindergarten. We enrolled him and he did wonderful. When it came time to enroll him in public school, they would not recognize him as already attending Kindergarten and put him back in Kindergarten. He was thoroughly frustrated. By 1st grade, he was dumbfounded at his classmates. He was already reading, writing, doing math and was even told that he could not write in cursive as that was above his age.

He became a problem child in class. He was bored. Reading books during class, standing on desks, being disruptive….We talked to his teachers and eventually the Principle but were told that they need to teach to the lowest common denominator. We finally bought home school material and gave the teacher worksheets several years above his age to work on when he completed his in-school work just to keep him engaged. The Teacher stopped that as he was getting even FURTHER ahead of his classmates. We had him tested in 2d grade and he scored at the 4th grade level and in some area at the 5th grade level. We begged the school to allow him to skip a grade but the Principle insisted that it would hurt him on the social level. Finally, in the 4th grade, they allowed him to skip 5th grade, into to 6th grade, moving him out their school (Elementary) into a different school (Middle School). They warned us that he would fail but he excelled, completing HS and eventually going on to college.

Now at 30, he completed his BS in IT Administration and works at a well known brokerage house, married and bought his own house. I guess my word of caution is that being top of class can be a source of frustration when being taught to the lowest denominator. Maybe your schools have a better program but here in the Baltimore/DC area, the barb wire fences point INWARD.

At this point dose not matter much what they learn as far as subjects. Interaction with other kids is important. Poppopmike

I think a lot has to do with the month the child was born. I was born in December and went to preschool. The problem came when we moved and the new school decided to have me skip kindergarten and go right into 1st grade. I was "Always" the youngest kid in class. Not really a good place to be.

A lot of children in our area are held back before they start kindergarten. This means they're a little more mature. Since most families are doing this it's almost a necessity. We didn't do it for our son and I kind of regret it.
Being the youngest in class your entire life is real bad for self esteem and emotional growth.

If you can send the child to pre-school they'll learn valuble life lessons and be ready for kindergarten. My bride was a teacher and it's pretty advanced (from when I was a kid) what the children are expected to be able to do at that age.

JMHO

Cheers,
Harrald

The problem came when we moved and the new school decided to have me skip kindergarten and go right into 1st grade. I was "Always" the youngest kid in class. Not really a good place to be.

A lot of children in our area are held back before they start kindergarten. This means they're a little more mature. Since most families are doing this it's almost a necessity. We didn't do it for our son and I kind of regret it. Being the youngest in class your entire life is real bad for self esteem and emotional growth.

If you can send the child to pre-school they'll learn valuble life lessons and be ready for kindergarten. My bride was a teacher and it's pretty advanced (from when I was a kid) what the children are expected to be able to do at that age.

DW is a retired teacher and used to perform early entrance screening for pre-school and kinder aged kids in our public school district. The district - wisely so - required that kids go through prior screening before admittance at an early age.

What DW often found was that Mom & Dad thought their little Blake or little Madison was ready for kinder at age 4 because they had memorized some state capitals or multiplication tables, or could recite part of the Gettysburg address. Those same parents were often aghast when DW indicated to them that although their child was perhaps bright, he/she was not yet emotionally and or socially mature enough to be successful in a classroom environment.

Back
Top Bottom