Prescription Vit D and Health Insurance Premiums

Buckeye

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I think I would like to take the once-a-week high dose prescription Vitamin D pills (50,000 IU's?) instead of having to remember to take it every day.

Will insurance companies penalize me because I am taking a prescription or does it matter that it is only a vitamin?

I will be shopping my health insurance when my annual renewal comes up in May. I don't want to inadvertantly push up my premiums by taking prescription Vit D.

They might suspect you are being treated for osteoporosis or high blood pressure and raise the premium accordingly.

7-DAY-PUSH-37198-POP39200PILL-REMINDER_2010017055476.jpg

I'm on prescription Vit D and find it much easier to take one on Saturdays rather than the smaller dose every day.

You can buy Vitamin D 50,000 iu from Amazon to bypass using your insurance. You might compare the cost vs your insurance.

I'm on a twice a week schedule, which is just really weird for me. Can't really space that out evenly.

And why does everyone need Vitamin D all of a sudden? Even my brother, who is out in the sun a lot was prescribed it.

They might suspect you are being treated for osteoporosis or high blood pressure and raise the premium accordingly.

Yes, that's what makes me nervous. I'm sure the doc has to record some diagnostic code that gets transmitted to the insurance company at some point. Do they have a "just because" code?

IIRC, DW's 50,000 unit (once a week) is kinda expensive - though it's covered by our insurance, so not an issue - $10 for 3 month's supply. I was wondering if, instead of the one 50,000 unit prescription dose, taken weekly, you could take 7 (or how-ever-many) cheap-a$$ daily pills equivalent from Costco all on Saturday. You'd save money AND the insurance co. would never know the difference and it's only "once-a-week".

I don't have the photo or posting skills of Al, but I wanted to post a picture of MY pill box - the one which is empty - except for Wednesday - which I forgot to take last week. Fools can always find a way around the foolproof! But, YMMV.

I think I would like to take the once-a-week high dose prescription Vitamin D pills (50,000 IU's?) instead of having to remember to take it every day.

Can the body absorb that much vitamin D at once?

Yes, the body can absorb that much Vitamin D.

I took the Rx dose of Vitamin D, 50,000 iu once a week for 14 weeks after my parathyroid tumor was removed. I had regular lab work which showed my Vitamin D level increasing slowly. Once my level was where the Endocrinologist wanted it to be, I'm able to maintain by taking 4000 iu daily.

I did buy a bottle of 100 Vitamin D 50,000 iu at Amazon.com for about $20 for those without Rx insurance.

Yes, that's what makes me nervous. I'm sure the doc has to record some diagnostic code that gets transmitted to the insurance company at some point. Do they have a "just because" code?
I could be wrong, but I would think that if the MD provides some notation in the medical records that this is not to treat some specific chronic condition that would make you less insurable, you'd have what you need to prevent getting screwed by it. Then again, these are health insurance companies and they often don't acquiesce without a fight, so...

I've seen the 50,000 IU stuff on Amazon (half the dosage) for about 20-25 cents a pill in bottles of 100. Frankly I'd just eat that cost outside the insurance system and keep it off my insurance and medical history -- that would be about $1 per month. Of course, if the doctor already wrote the Rx it might be too late for that.

Back
Top Bottom