Project Bunny

Purron

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
As many of you know, I'm a volunteer with the local animal shelter. I serve on the board of a 501(c)(3) organization devoted to providing assistance to shelter animals above and beyond what the local government can provide. We had a board meeting tonight and decided to allocate some resources to the shelter rabbits. We got a bundle of 'em at the shelter and while I consider myself more of a "cat person" I have become more tuned into the plight of rabbits.

Here's the point of this post. We have set aside some funds to have shelter rabbits spayed and neutered. This will increase their adoptability and lessen the likelihood they are later returned. We need a name for this project. You guys are some of the most creative people I know so I would appreciate any ideas you have. We need a catchy name to promote what we are doing for the shelter rabbits and, hopefully, inspire people to support our efforts and adopt homeless bunnies.

Bring Bugs home!

Nords has a house bunny - he should be full of ideas! ;)

Cute Fuzzy Bunny?...oh wait that's already taken. ;)

How about...Wanna Wascalee Wabbit?

Wascally Wabbit

check out this website. NeuterNeuterLand: Humor US, Neuter US - Ahimsa of Texas

It is all about humorous spay-neuter slogans. Here are a few ( I've omitted the "R-rated" ones):

Please don't litter.
Neuter your pets!

Oppose the death penalty,
neuter your pets!

Save lives, spay today!

Prevent a litter,
Fix your critter!

If you walked around naked all day, all you'd think
about is sex too. Spay and neuter your pets today!

If your pet won't wear a condom,
get him FIXED!

If it ain't neutered FIX IT.

Friends don't let friends have litters.

Make life merry and gay,
spay or neuter that pet today!

The wise sterilize.

Spaying stops the spraying.

Spaying stops the slaying.

They can't add but they
sure can multiply!

Hop on neutering your rabbit.

We Be Mr. Fix It!

Low cost alterations!

A neuter a day keeps the litters away

I'm neutered so, I'm not yo' momma!

A stitch in time saves
hundreds of thousands.

The smart cookie is the
one without the nuts.

Thanks for the replies so far! CFB, sorry you were scared to open this post. For inspiration, I am attaching a picture of some shelter bunnies. Some of these are already adopted and since they are so cute, please don't worry about them finding homes. The baby animals are always adopted quickly. This picture was taken by Mary, shelter volunteer extraordinaire. She is the one who spearheaded our efforts to help the shelter rabbits.

Attachments

• Baby bunnies.jpg
    Baby bunnies.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 7
check out this website. NeuterNeuterLand: Humor US, Neuter US - Ahimsa of Texas

It is all about humorous spay-neuter slogans. Here are a few ( I've omitted the "R-rated" ones):

Please don't litter.
Neuter your pets!

Oppose the death penalty,
neuter your pets!

Save lives, spay today!

Prevent a litter,
Fix your critter!

If you walked around naked all day, all you'd think
about is sex too. Spay and neuter your pets today!

If your pet won't wear a condom,
get him FIXED!

If it ain't neutered FIX IT.

Friends don't let friends have litters.

Make life merry and gay,
spay or neuter that pet today!

The wise sterilize.

Spaying stops the spraying.

Spaying stops the slaying.

They can't add but they
sure can multiply!

Hop on neutering your rabbit.

We Be Mr. Fix It!

Low cost alterations!

A neuter a day keeps the litters away

I'm neutered so, I'm not yo' momma!

A stitch in time saves
hundreds of thousands.

The smart cookie is the
one without the nuts.

Just saw your post -- these are really good! Please keep them coming as I plan to provide a summary of suggestions to the shelter for our program. You guys are the best:)

Thanks for the replies so far! CFB, sorry you were scared to open this post. For inspiration, I am attaching a picture of some shelter bunnies. Some of these are already adopted and since they are so cute, please don't worry about them finding homes. The baby animals are always adopted quickly. This picture was taken by Mary, shelter volunteer extraordinaire. She is the one who spearheaded our efforts to help the shelter rabbits.

What an adorable picture! This pic along with a catchy name should do the trick.

I thought "Project Bunny" was a cute name too.

How about:

"Altered Bunnies only Add to your life, they don't Multiply" (leveraging an earlier suggestion)

Project Bunnyway (takeoff of Project Runway)

The [-]Peter[/-] Rabbit Project

Don't Kill Da Wabbit!

Hot Bun's without an Oven

"Neutered" is such a wan, generic, polite euphemism for [Sam Kinnison]CASTRATION[/U[/Sam Kinnison]], isn't it?

But maybe I'm biased, being the only remaining male in our household. It's a war of attrition and I only have to lose it once.

Oh-- how to market bunnies:
"Get your rabbit at...
......... the habitat."

I would highly recommend giving your new owners a piece of paper with the following URL on it: House Rabbit Society Rabbit Care Guide

It showed us that our bunny has a huge range of emotions and a complex vocabulary to go with them, once you recognize the signs and learn how to interpret them. He spent a year trying to train us before we figured it out and since then he's become much more happy & communicative.

You might also want to try local vets and area owner's clubs for more geo-specific slogans. We've made several friends through our vet's Bunny Ohana.

Way back when... I was an exterminator... and some of my customers had rabbit... they all told me that they were not good pets... maybe Nords can say if this is true or not.. but IIRC, this was 5 of 5 who said not another...

They did look cute... but I never did see them 'friendly'....

Way back when... I was an exterminator... and some of my customers had rabbit... they all told me that they were not good pets... maybe Nords can say if this is true or not.. but IIRC, this was 5 of 5 who said not another...
They did look cute... but I never did see them 'friendly'....
Like teenagers, it totally depends on how you raise them. What you do is what you get. That House Rabbit website taught us a lot, as did some books and a local bunny group.

The most socialized bunnies are raised inside human homes from birth, handled frequently, and groomed at least a couple times a day. The constant touching will accustom them to sitting in your lap and even being held cuddled upside down in your arms for belly rubs. (It has to be done when they're very young and it has to continue for years. If we tried that with our bunny he'd take our hands off at the elbows. Bunny teeth are sharp!) It's considered better to raise 2-3 bunnies together rather than just one. Letting them run around a room together is better than caging them, and indoors is less risk of parasites or poisonous food or predators. If they're around humans all day and have each other for entertainment then they're pretty friendly.

Our rabbit was apparently raised by women, teased by children, and spent a lot of time in a cage because he responds very strongly to spouse but is relatively hostile to kids. (We got him from the Humane Society, a year-old Easter bunny who escaped and was picked up a few days later.) He's not socialized-- we went to a bunny gathering and while all the other bunnies happily played together he was so threatened by their presence that he actually sat in my lap for protection. He'll let you pet him, stroke his paws (for nail trims), and check his teeth (for vet visits) but cuddling is generally out of the question.

Bunnies ain't exactly Rin Tin Tin. They're smarter than guinea pigs but not so cerebral as cats or even ferrets or any other predators. They'll eventually respond to a half-dozen commands-- if they feel like it-- but they need frequent practice & daily reinforcement. It's much easier to let them train you, by showing you where they want their litter box or where they want to be petted or which type of hay they prefer to eat.

They're very expressive, though. When they're happy or angry or frightenend then they immediately show it in their body language. When they want to play then they run around your feet until you let them chase you around the room (followed by extensive petting). If you laugh at their antics and they feel embarrassed by it, they pout. When our bunny wants to play, if he can see/hear me in another room then he'll make noises at the familyroom pet gate by chewing on it until I join him. (I need frequent practice & daily reinforcement.) When he wants to be petted he'll hop over to a particular chair, sit by it, and crouch down with an expectant look on his face. If he's really happy then he'll hop over to a side of the room, preferably in sunshine, throw himself down on his side in a huge bunny flop, and actually wriggle on his back with his paws in the air before laying down for a little nap. Any attempt to pet him in this vulnerable position, though, is met with teeth and "barking" (grunting).

They do not adapt to change very well. A few years ago we set our bunny up with several days of food & water and went camping for a couple days. When we returned home on the third day, he'd already stopped eating and was very upset by the lack of contact. He recovered quickly but, like a cat, spent several days leaving us little bunny presents in creative locations to show his displeasure. So now when we travel, even if it's only overnight, we have a neighborhood kid look after him for at least an hour a day.

They're amazingly fast-- I've seen ours jump at a centipede, bite it in half, and leap clear before either end of the centipede can respond. (Of course when he was young I saw him run full speed into a clear glass window, too. He bounced back about a foot before he figured it out.) I've seen videos of bunnies attacking king snakes and making them retreat in panic. When I pet a bunny I can almost feel my blood pressure dropping and my pulse slowing.

They're incredibly destructive. A bunny's world is categorized according to "yummy" and "yucky", and drywall/wood is yummy. Even paint is not an effective deterrent, although marine varnish offers some protection. They don't necessarily eat the stuff, just chew on it to keep their teeth ground down to size. Our familyroom room now has sheet-vinyl wall coverings up to two feet high. We stock the corners with scrap drywall, yummy aspen wood, and cardboard boxes. When he goes to his great reward I'll have to replace every single freakin' door trim and molding.

Their burrowing instincts are impressive. Our bunny will spend an entire day dragging around a cardboard box that weighs more than he does, chew holes in it, and get royally pissed off if you try to "help". After a couple days at his task he'll have dragged together a jumble of cardboard boxes, all with bunny-size holes chewed in their sides, that he can run straight through at top speed without touching. He'll go there for naps or run through it for exercise/play. We humans (and predators) can't follow his briar-patch shortcut and we're not welcome in his corner behind that labyrinth.

Wild bunnies live an average of 3-5 years. Housepet bunnies get 7-10 years, especially the smaller dwarf breeds. Well-tended & well-socialized bunnies get 12-14 years...

Very interesting to learn more about house rabbits, thanks as always Nords for the edification. I love the picture of the shelter rabbits, Purron, you know a great picture is worth a thousand words in rescue.

Having known very little of rabbits, I guess my real question for you is how does the shelter intend to vet the applicants for the rabbits? I realize from Nords' post that these are not easy pets and I would imagine that you would get lots of returns if folks didn't understand what they were getting. Is there an educational component to what your board is proposing for the new program? Can you enlist the help of any local house rabbit societies for ideas?

Compared to cats and dogs, I would imagine that finding good homes for these little lovelies would be quite difficult. Kudos to you and your board for devoting some of your limited resources (as always in rescue) to improving their adoptability.

I am proud to see in my google search that SC is home to a group called Adopt-A-Rabbit.org, which is a sanctuary in Simpsonville, SC for rescued rabbits. They might be a good resource for your group as well.

And all I saw for name ideas that looked cute was "are you up for Hare raising?". :)

We had a litter-trained rabbit. He'd come when you called. He loved to sit in your lap. He had some plastic keys (baby toys) that he'd throw around and play fetch with.

We decided to start a container garden indoors once (late winter) with the plan to move things outside once the weather got nice. We planted quite a few peas and put up a baby gate to keep the rabbit out. We came home to find the gate chewed through and all of the peas mowed down. Learned a few lessons there... and now have a story about having a rabbit problem with our indoor garden ;-)

I'll see if I can post a picture later. He was black up front with a white streak on his face and a white backside. His name was Matchbox Magicpants.

They're incredibly destructive. A bunny's world is categorized according to "yummy" and "yucky", and drywall/wood is yummy. Even paint is not an effective deterrent, although marine varnish offers some protection. They don't necessarily eat the stuff, just chew on it to keep their teeth ground down to size. Our familyroom room now has sheet-vinyl wall coverings up to two feet high. We stock the corners with scrap drywall, yummy aspen wood, and cardboard boxes. When he goes to his great reward I'll have to replace every single freakin' door trim and molding.

Fixted yuor speekurz.. « Lolcats ‘n’ Funny Pictures of Cats - I Can Has Cheezburger?
(G-rated)

Back
Top Bottom