Prostatic Artery Embolization (PAE)

After treatment, does the prostate still function normally? After all, the prostate is not just some kind of out of the way toy, it has a sexual job to do.

Ha

Based on my reading of the relatively sparse data on it, the excitement over this procedure is that it fixes the problem of enlargement while having very little in the way of side-effects, either sexual function or urinary related. Unlike the surgical options which lead to more complications. More "bad with the good" type of outcomes.

Based on my reading of the relatively sparse data on it, the excitement over this procedure is that it fixes the problem of enlargement while having very little in the way of side-effects, either sexual function or urinary related. Unlike the surgical options which lead to more complications. More "bad with the good" type of outcomes.
Thank you. This sounds like a real advance.

Ha

I finally required an operation and had the Green Light Laser treatment. My only regret is I did not have it earlier. I have stopped all medication. And, urinals are my friend but not my best friend. I am almost 10 years old again.

I am sharing since all I could find on line when researching prostate procedures were the people who had a negative experience. My recovery was about 5 weeks to stop all bleeding. I was a good boy for the first 3 weeks and followed all the take it easy recommendations which I expect helped. I have since taken a few bike rides and am back to running, b-ball, etc.

I finally required an operation and had the Green Light Laser treatment. My only regret is I did not have it earlier. I have stopped all medication. And, urinals are my friend but not my best friend. I am almost 10 years old again.

I am sharing since all I could find on line when researching prostate procedures were the people who had a negative experience. My recovery was about 5 weeks to stop all bleeding. I was a good boy for the first 3 weeks and followed all the take it easy recommendations which I expect helped. I have since taken a few bike rides and am back to running, b-ball, etc.

Sounds like great news! What were your symptoms that lead you to this? If you prefer not to say publicly, would you please PM me? I've been having some issues and want to see if symptoms match.

That's wonderful! Full disclosure - I work for the company that makes GreenLight, so it warms my heart that our products are helping people. :flowers: If you have any problems, definitely tell your doctor.

Sounds great; very happy for your results.
I fully expect to be a candidate myself one of these days, so I'm always interested in this topic.

About 10 years ago I was diagnosed with BPH. My PSA was and is in the OK range. But, urine flow was very slow and holding it was sometimes impossible.

I was placed on Tamulosin 4mg per day (one pill). That made a big difference, taking me back to a more normal life. That lasted perhaps 5 years when my dosage was doubled. That again improved my ability to pee and to hold. Not back to pre-BPH days but perhaps back to the one pill days.

Then a few months ago, the ability to hold and pee got worse again. I was already on the max of the Tamulosin. So, the next step in the 'pre-operative' approach is Finisteride. This medication is designed to shrink the prostate but it takes six months to do its job.

At the time the problem was bad but manageable. THEN, while following up on my annual physical, the blood test showed my Creatinine level more than doubled. This was an indication that the kidney maybe damaged or becoming damaged. I did an immediate ultrasound that indicated the urethra was blocked by the prostate (perhaps by a great amount of pressure or an actual block. I do not know) So, the urine was backing up and the bladder was bulging.

The immediate solution was a catheter. And while that was uncomfortable, it was a great improvement to a bulging bladder. It also relieved the pressure on the kidneys. With the catheter in place, surgery was scheduled as soon as possible and performed with the success mentioned in my previous reply.

My understanding is I went through the recommenced process of medication and ultimately surgery if/when required. As stated by an earlier poster, retrograde ejaculation is a common side affect. I have read that with the TURP and often with the other less invasive operations, this is a common side affect. I had it with the Tamulosin which is also a side affect of that medication. Since the operation, I have had varied results in this area. But, even so, it is a mind over matter in my opinion. Ejaculation happens but the sperm goes into the bladder. So, all the sensation exists but it just does not come out. Obviously a problem if you still desire children. Otherwise, it is just weird.

Happy to answer questions for this important topic based on my experience.

Thanks, davef. Does not match my symptoms. I am seeing a urologist and nothing like this has been suggested, and I wanted to see if it should be considered.

Like the other poster said, you don't have to talk about anything you don't want to but, this is increasingly, my bailywick. How was it decided you should have the green light laser procedure as opposed to one of the thermo-therapy procedures? (The ones where they "cook" the prostate with microwaves or inject it with steam, for those unfamiliar with all these)

It's now 9 months since the first onset. After the initial problem, had to wear a drainage bag for about a week. After that, have been using the medication. It works, but it does cause a newer problem of more frequent trips to the bathroom, and waking up at night every two or three hours. I may rethink the operation.
'

Another side effect of Flomax is that is lowers blood pressure. That was a boon for my dad, who suffered from high BP in addition to his urinary problems, but in some people it can produce dizziness and even fainting.

Hi,

PAE doesn't have the sexual side effects of surgery, it's done through the wrist, there's rapid relief of symptom, and no need to take medication after.

FM.

Like the other poster said, you don't have to talk about anything you don't want to but, this is increasingly, my bailywick. How was it decided you should have the green light laser procedure as opposed to one of the thermo-therapy procedures? (The ones where they "cook" the prostate with microwaves or inject it with steam, for those unfamiliar with all these)

Sorry about the slow reply. I must have missed some posting while moving, etc. It has been a hectic few months.

I was researching the Urolift and Green Light. My doctor did both. (I was not as confident in his ability to do the Urolift). But, he said my prostate issue could not be served by the Urolift. I trusted him and moved to the plan that he felt would work.

I learned the GL was less invasive and high likelihood for good results. It worked for me. Recovery was quick. And while there was some burning and light bleeding for about 3 weeks following the operation, which seems the typical recovery, that was my only problem.

As I said earlier, I could not be happier to be off medication and urinating as I did before prostate issues, at least 90% of the time. There is still some urgency but rare that can be somewhat difficult to control but not sure that is operation or age. To share all, ejaculation is mostly dry but sensation has not changed.

I just wanted to share with you a great explanation PAE video by Dr Kably, he does a great job making easy to understand.

Back
Top Bottom