Purchasing clothes at goodwill

I'm in the market for an old plaid suit coat - must be very visibly plaid. My son has his first professional lead in a musical, and the musical is 'Forever Plaid' lol. I want to wear the jacket opening night *grin*. Figured the local Goodwill might be an option...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Also check EBay. Sounds like you have a fun night coming up!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Purchased a sectional couch for a family member yesterday. It wasn't Goodwill but another charity that provides assistance to the homeless. Their selection ran a pretty wide range. The store was clean and well organized. I'd go back again.

Forgot to mention we bought a couch and armchair from the thrift store during college. The couch got catified and we tossed it out, but the armchair, though somewhat catified (torn up on one arm), is mostly intact and serves as my "escape from the kids" reading chair. $20 for the chair, $50 for the couch.

Goodwill might be a good place to buy used items inexpensively, but it's incorrect to consider them to be a charitable organization.
Highly paid executive and extremely low wages for employees.

Goodwill pays disabled workers pennies an hour- MSN Money

I'll do my buying at other thrift shops.

Thanks for the Goodwill link. I do try to buy items where the money really goes to people who need it.

DH and I went to a local thrift shop over the weekend. This place had a very small store that was mostly clothes and a huge back room with not for sale inventory and an outdoor area 4 times the size of the store, plus a truck all filled with furniture and televisions. We asked about a table out back and they said it was not for sale. I think a real charity would be happy to make a sale and just put a price on it. It was obvious most of the items in back were never going to make it to the store. Logistically it was simply impossible. And why all the electronics in back and not a single high ticket item in the store over the first day of a busy shopping weekend?

Most charity shops we've been to in our area are not like that. The next place we went to was Junior League type volunteers, no weird vibes and nothing seemed unusual at all. But I do wonder where most of the profits from the donations from the first store ended up.

Recent thrift shop buy was two LL Bean XLT short sleeve shirts like new for two bucks each. I have no idea why someone would get rid of an LL Bean shirt when you can send it back for a new one, no questions asked. (you pay postage)

I have no idea why someone would get rid of an LL Bean shirt when you can send it back for a new one, no questions asked. (you pay postage)

For instance if the Next of Kin prefers not to get that involved.

DH and I went to a local thrift shop over the weekend. This place had a very small store that was mostly clothes and a huge back room with not for sale inventory and an outdoor area 4 times the size of the store, plus a truck all filled with furniture and televisions. We asked about a table out back and they said it was not for sale. I think a real charity would be happy to make a sale and just put a price on it. It was obvious most of the items in back were never going to make it to the store. Logistically it was simply impossible. And why all the electronics in back and not a single high ticket item in the store over the first day of a busy shopping weekend?

There are "for-profit" thrift stores out there - sounds like this might have been one of them.

Back
Top Bottom