Purses In Grocery Cart . . .

I have a small purse. No long shoulder strap so I have it over my left shoulder and it fits under my upper arm or in the store it's always hanging from my elbow. It can get a little beat up when shopping because it's always banging into the cart when I load or unload. But I never let go of it.

When I get to the car, often I will open the car door, HOLD MY KEYS, toss in my purse and cover it with a jacket. Then I lock the door and unload the cart into the trunk. I try to park my car in the space next to the cart corral so that I'm not walking off too far to park the cart. It also means that only one car parks next to me and lessens the chance of someone bumping my car with their door.

I learned years ago when I started going to thrift stores, estate sales, garage sales, any department store at all, to put my purse on the ground and step into the strap (then it's around your ankle) so nobody can get it. Never had a problem ever. It helps to be paranoid I think.

OK, help me with this one. Is it on your leg like a ball and chain? :confused::confused:

The first time I ever saw the purse in the shopping cart was when I moved to Florida . I was amazed that women would do that . I always have a small purse across my body while I shop . It must come from years of living in New Jersey .

The first time I ever saw the purse in the shopping cart was when I moved to Florida . I was amazed that women would do that . I always have a [-]small purse[/-] concealed Smith and Wesson [-]across my body[/-] tucked in my undies while I shop . It must come from years of living in New Jersey .

There. I brought you up to New Jersey standards.

Here ya go. Problem solved. A little technology and appropriate training for the user and the population of purse snatchers dwindles before your eyes!

YouTube - SuperGranny

I haven't carried a purse in decades, just a wallet.

Years ago when I was in hard circumstances, I noticed how easy it would be to take cash from an open unattended purse in a shopping cart. I did not indulge. Several years ago I noticed an accidentally abandoned purse in a cart corral. I turned it in to the store folks. Would have been easy to take out the cash and leave everything else intact.

I carry a shoulder bag which I can also reposition to go across my torso if I want greater mobility. I don't leave my purse in the grocery cart. Sometimes I change bags for dressier events and carry a small clutch with a handle...a wristlet I think they call it if I don't need to lug the usual accoutrements that require a larger bag. I have not ever been a victim of theft but it could happen to anyone at anytime.

The naive women described in earlier posts obviously have not been outside of the US. They would be parted from their handbags within 1 hour of leaving the airport, no, make it 1/2 hr after deboarding the plane.

The naive women described in earlier posts obviously have not been outside of the US. They would be parted from their handbags within 1 hour of leaving the airport, no, make it 1/2 hr after deboarding the plane.
Hmmm...well, when I fly out of the country (or go to Vegas), I just stuff everything in my bra. :whistle: I don't do a lot of grocery shopping while traveling....

The mom of a friend was killed several years ago as she unloaded her grocery cart at the local supermarket. Two thieves drove slowly thru the parking lot, grabbing purses from older women either from the seat of the cart or off the lady's shoulder. My friend's mom had the strap of her bag wrapped around her wrist and was knocked to the ground and dragged some distance by the thief's car. She died of her injuries. From the store's video, the police did catch the thieves, who were charged with and convicted of 2nd degree murder. Sadly, her hubby started experiencing stomach pains after her funeral and was diagnosed with end stage stomach cancer..he died less than a month later. Family was devastated.

Hmmm...well, when I fly out of the country (or go to Vegas), I just stuff everything in my bra. :whistle: I don't do a lot of grocery shopping while traveling....

Like so? The Toolbox Video

Coming back from Mexico one time the gal was in short shorts, not much top, and flipflops. Being a thoroughly dangerous looking sort she got special attention including a metal detection wand. After we got home she found the lighter she had stashed in her bra - she was smoking then. The TSA lads missed it. Good thing she didn't decide to light her sandals on fire while in the air!

My friend's mom had the strap of her bag wrapped around her wrist and was knocked to the ground and dragged some distance by the thief's car.
So sorry to hear of this.

Yes ladies...if they want it badly enough, they will get it any cost. Please don't have your purse 'tethered' to your body.

Hmmm... In another thread, Nords could, or was suggested by others that he could, stuff 5 dryer balls in his shorts!

Should there be a contest here to see who can carry more? :cool:

When shopping, I never, ever put my purse in the shopping cart. If it's a shoulder bag I wear it on my shoulder, or diagonally across my trunk. If it's a tote bag I have it under my arm with the handles over my shoulder. ON weekends when I am casually dressed I often use a fanny pack with the purse pack in front where I can keep an eye on it, and perhaps a sweatshirt over top.

I am not a trusting person. Or at least I am not naive.

Back
Top Bottom