Question for Gamers (PS5 and XBoxX Games)

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
So I went on a shopping spree. I got caught up in trying to get my DD's family a PS5 for Christmas. During a time Walmart had both the PS5 and the XBox available, I tried to get both. I didn't get the PS5 but I did score the XBox. I was thinking - just get something. Maybe I can trade it for a PS5. Whatever, that didn't matter because later that night, I scored a PS5 at Sony Direct. So that's a long way to say that I ended up with both systems and I have some questions.

DD's family (includes grandkids) is getting the PS5. I was planning on just selling the Xbox (at retail, I'm not a scalper), but then I wondered if I should just keep it. So I have some questions about the games.

I understand there are some games that are what they call crossplay. So, for example, if grandson is playing a game, I could (theoretically) play the same game online with him at the same time. Not likely to happen, but my question is whether or not he could play the game at home and then pick up where he left off when he comes here.

Do they have a lot of games that play the same? So, if the DGK's like a game on the PS5, is there a good chance I could get it for the XBox for when they come here. I realize some will be proprietary, but is there a majority that both systems have? I realize I'd have to buy both versions.

What are your favorite XBox games? As far as I can tell, the only one I'm interested in is Microsoft Flight Simulator. I could see me getting into that.

FWIW, I've never gamed before. I've certainly have had consoles for the kids and I've played a few games but we're talking Nintendo games like Mario and Mario Kart. The last first person game I played was probably the original version of Zelda about 20 years or more ago.

So - sell the XBox or keep it for the grand kids when they come over and maybe get into some gaming myself.

I have an xbox.
I was getting their online membership free, which allowed me to download 253 games, of which ~160 are mine to keep without membership. The others only run with membership.

I plugged in an external drive as I was running out of space collecting the games.

I found the controller awkward to use, and couldn't control the game well.
I used to play games on the computer without issue years ago.

So now I use the xbox to access streaming services that my dvd player from sony cannot as it never updates.

Hopefully you have played some games with the controller and know that you like it.

Ok well it's complicated, but generally, there are some games that don't have cross platform compatibility. And some that do. Most games have a majority online component, you're downloading via steam vs. disc, and can be quite portable. But can he play a game on his PS5 at home and then come to your house and play the same game, same character, same progress, on the xbox? depends, and much less likely than if you're on the same systems. It really depends on a lot. Unlike Nintendo, there's less true proprietary stuff, but a lot of games still have challenges with crossplay. Gamers don't like that of course, so it should get better over time.

For example, fornite, which your GKids have heard of and probably play, allows gamers to meet in a lobby and join up regardless of platform - so that would be great.

MS Flight simulator can be played on PC (which is probably best when complex games allow it) so the console just for that is not a great idea.

Then there's other platform specific stuff. Microsoft has GamePass, which allows a tremendous number of games to be played with a small monthly fee - compared to individual games that usually start at $60. If you're a gamer, and have an xbox, you get gamepass, no question.

DH is currently enjoying the newest Forza on xbox, it's a car racing open world type of game. I play FFXIV on PC, which is also on PS5 but not on Xbox. But we're lifelong gamers, and I don't know if I could recommend you keep the xbox (of course, you can return it vs. dealing with selling as well).

Here's some info on crossplay games - the list is short, and half of these are probably not age appropriate, so let that be your guide.

https://www.psu.com/news/all-ps5-crossplay-games-a-complete-list/

Thanks. Ended up just selling it. Was talking to a friend of DD who was helping me with their console (I didn’t know what they had). When the friend found out I scored a XBox, they got excited. That’s worth more than me keeping it. I may try to get another PS5 for my house. Seems easier/better to be used by the grand kids.

Back
Top Bottom