Re-Thinking Senior Discounts?

marko

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Ran across this article this morning. It is likely behind a paywall--may get the first read free-- but the essence is that senior discounts should be re-thought as 1) many seniors are well off and 2) others may be in more need.

Just throwing it out there.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...ey-deserved/hMt3NLAV31nbC5tETqbGOO/story.html

Excerpt:
"But some question whether senior discounts are warranted in an era when many of those enjoying them are relatively well off, while large numbers of younger folks strain under the weight of student debt and labor in a gig economy bereft of benefits.

David Wallis, who leads the Economic Hardship Reporting Project, a nonprofit that supports journalism focused on inequality, argues that the deals for seniors are a relic of an earlier time. He calls for replacing them with income-based discounts for people of all ages.

“The senior discount should be radically rethought,” Wallis said. “Let’s say you have a very comfortable lifestyle. Do you deserve cheap seats at the movie theater?”..."

The article does finish up with examples of some seniors who rely on the discounts but it does lean more toward discounts based upon need more than age.

The lead photo of implied 'rich' elders at a ski resort helps drive home the point.

Last edited:
Somehow, if I have achieved the age required to qualify for senior discounts, i'm going to use them with no guilt about doing so.

Didn't we all have to earn our stripes going through the following : "younger folks strain under the weight of student debt and labor in a gig economy bereft of benefits".

I don't use senior discount often. Does "over 65" on 1040 form count?
:D

But, to be more serious, I would gladly assign my senior discounts to someone who would benefit to a greater extent.

OP here.
Personally, a 5% discount on a cup of coffee doesn't make or break my day and if saving $2 on a theater ticket makes that much of a go/no go difference, then maybe you should stay home.

The senior discount is nice--almost a fun thing-- but that's as far as it goes for me.

Yes, I got a senior discount at Deer Valley saving $51 over the $169 one day/adult ticket, but if you're a young'un in need, I doubt saving $51 bucks would make a $250 day of skiing any more affordable.

Last edited:
...if saving $2 on a theater ticket makes that much of a go/no go difference, then maybe you should stay home

Eh, we're not yet "senior discount" eligible, but we will go on the cheap day if we're not in a rush. I can get $6 matinees with recliners on Tuesdays so why not (less people there too is nice).

He calls for replacing them with income-based discounts for people of all ages.
Really? You'd have to show your 1040 to get a discount to a movie theater?

Are the senior discounts really based on the idea that seniors need them? Are ski resorts and restaurants in charge of wealth redistribution?

I thought senior discounts are a marketing strategy. In most cases seniors are an attractive crowd for any business. They have time flexibility, so are more likely to dine before the busy period. They probably won't ski as long into the day, nor are they usually reckless and endangering others. And yes, many are well off, which makes them a very good target for your business, even if you have to lure them in with a few % off.

I didn't try to read the whole article but from your summary I think he's totally missed the mark.

Yes, I got a senior discount at Deer Valley saving $51 over the $169 one day/adult ticket, but if you're a young'un in need, I doubt saving $51 bucks would make a $250 day of skiing any more affordable.
If you're of any age and in need, skiing probably isn't the activity for you. Just another example that the discounts aren't charity-based, but rather trying to get the clientele you'd like to have at your business.

Ran across this article this morning. It is likely behind a paywall--may get the first read free-- but the essence is that senior discounts should be re-thought as 1) many seniors are well off and 2) others may be in more need.

Just throwing it out there.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...ey-deserved/hMt3NLAV31nbC5tETqbGOO/story.html

Excerpt:
"But some question whether senior discounts are warranted in an era when many of those enjoying them are relatively well off, while large numbers of younger folks strain under the weight of student debt and labor in a gig economy bereft of benefits.

David Wallis, who leads the Economic Hardship Reporting Project, a nonprofit that supports journalism focused on inequality, argues that the deals for seniors are a relic of an earlier time. He calls for replacing them with income-based discounts for people of all ages.

“The senior discount should be radically rethought,” Wallis said. “Let’s say you have a very comfortable lifestyle. Do you deserve cheap seats at the movie theater?”..."

The article does finish up with examples of some seniors who rely on the discounts but it does lean more toward discounts based upon need more than age.

The lead photo of implied 'rich' elders at a ski resort helps drive home the point.

The author should mind his own business, and leave us seniors to our discounts.

I had a few minutes before I need to go this morning so I read the article. It's as totally off-base as I thought. If he thinks businesses are offering senior discounts as a charitable benefit and for the good of society, he's way off.

We haven't gotten any benefit from old-people discounts. For us, they're strictly a marketing ploy that we see through.

Contractors advertise "senior" discounts, and then tell us that "the senior discount is already included" or "we gave you the Angie's list discount instead - they're the same."

The one exception has been the library, where Mr. A. gets an over-65 discount on fines of 50%. Naturally, we both use his card!

OP here.
Personally, a 5% discount on a cup of coffee doesn't make or break my day and if saving $2 on a theater ticket makes that much of a go/no go difference, then maybe you should stay home.

The senior discount is nice--almost a fun thing-- but that's as far as it goes for me.

I agree with the SD not making or breaking my day. I certainly don't go out of my way searching for senior discounts. Sometimes I will ask. If they have one, fine; I'll accept it as being their way of recognizing a lifetime of living, not recognizing me as needing financial assistance. If they don't offer a SD, I'm not going to go somewhere else. It is one of the small perks of attaining this stage in life. It is not a right to be demanded by seniors.

You are not supposed to compare your young-person trials and tribulations with those of young people today. After all, back in '78, you just walked into a great job and benefits without any effort at all! Or so one reads.

Somehow, if I have achieved the age required to qualify for senior discounts, i'm going to use them with no guilt about doing so.

Didn't we all have to earn our stripes going through the following : "younger folks strain under the weight of student debt and labor in a gig economy bereft of benefits".

There's no government mandate that business need to offer senior discounts, the businesses are doing it of their own accord, and I'll go out on a limb and say they aren't doing it out of the kindness of their hearts, they are doing it to maximize profits. Just like student discounts these businesses are using price discrimination to maximize their income. Charge higher prices for groups that have more money, lower prices for groups that can afford less, and in doing so charge the maximum possible for each cohort. Either way, who cares, how many things in life involve senior discounts, I can't imagine it really adds up to meaningful sums, but maybe some seniors here know different.

Eh, we're not yet "senior discount" eligible, but we will go on the cheap day if we're not in a rush. I can get $6 matinees with recliners on Tuesdays so why not (less people there too is nice).

I just checked and "Senior Discounts" start at age 50 through age 65. I had no idea what age you may qualify for a discount. I have never had one or asked if they have a discount. Lol

I’d be happy to forgo senior discounts if I thought they would be offered to young families instead but we all know that won’t happen. And if I thought most people would enjoy showing a card or something proving they were needy to get a free coffee at McDonalds, I’d pay double for it myself. I wonder what the researcher thinks about military discounts....

I remember having young children and struggling a bit sometimes paying for the things we wanted for them (none of them essential, fortunately), but I didn’t think cutting others’ benefits and giving them to me was a good idea.

Are the senior discounts really based on the idea that seniors need them? Are ski resorts and restaurants in charge of wealth redistribution?

I thought senior discounts are a marketing strategy.

IMO it is a marketing strategy.

But in the author's mind it is about 'deserving'..."do well off seniors deserve cheap theater seats" while youngers in more need go without.

The writer of that article can stick it.

I spent my entire life watching people get a discount because of their age. Now it's my turn to collect and I take advantage of every discount that I can.

I’d be happy to forgo senior discounts if I thought they would be offered to young families instead but we all know that won’t happen. And if I thought most people would enjoy showing a card or something proving they were needy to get a free coffee at McDonalds, I’d pay double for it myself. I wonder what the researcher thinks about military discounts....

I remember having young children and struggling a bit sometimes paying for the things we wanted for them (none of them essential, fortunately), but I didn’t think cutting others’ benefits and giving them to me was a good idea.
+1. I’m amused when I get a senior discount and I’ve probably missed most opportunities, but I’d rather see discounts going to people who need it most - of any age.

I’m guessing it’ll be a lot harder for today’s 20-something to achieve FI than it was for me starting in the late 70’s...

Last edited:
FWIW, as of now, there are 231 comments below the actual Boston Globe article and almost all mirror the responses here!

I don't use senior discount often. Does "over 65" on 1040 form count?
:D

But, to be more serious, I would gladly assign my senior discounts to someone who would benefit to a greater extent.

Of course! You get $1,600 more off your standard deduction.

I’m guessing it’ll be a lot harder for today’s 20-something to achieve FI than it was for me starting in the late 70’s...

Maybe. But saving 5% on a cup of coffee or $2 bucks on a movie ticket isn't going to really help all that much.

I just turned 55 in November so I can now get discounts at Shari's or Denny's restaurants, or for groceries at Fred Meyer. However, I would not ask for the discount if they don't offer it.

I might be booking a night at a Best Western hotel in a few weeks, and will probably take the 55+ discount. Hey, I'll take $20 off, why not.

For the most part, most of the senior discounts I've seen aren't really worth the effort. I'll take the discount if they offer it, but I'm not going to ask.

The one discount I AM looking forward to is the senior exemption on our property taxes. I won't be eligible till I'm 61 and even then only if our income is below 40K per year. We should qualify, so that would knock about $2000 or more off the property tax bill each year. That's a discount worth trying for. :)

I've been saying this forever. What about poor hard working younger people? It's like special tax rates for different income. $100,000 Cap Gains? Lower taxes. But Ralph Kramden's $35,000 bus driver salary is taxable at all levels to the hilt.

But let's face it. Senior discounts are just away to draw in old people who are around during the hours when others are working. Make them think they are getting something for less. You make a little off of them or they help you cut what would otherwise be a loss. Theater's make a little extra even with 90% empty seats. Restaurants use up left overs with smaller portions and Ma & Pa Kettle are out the door before the real dinner traffic starts. And this almost all benefits the well-off senior since the not-well-off senior doesn't have the bread for that stuff anyway.

I am retired military. Every single one of us is collecting a check and free medical insurance. Why are we being offered discounts everywhere?

But as some have said if all discounts and special offers were directed solely at the needy everybody would have to show up with last year's 1040. Why not? Lots of places I go nowadays I have to keep showing them my birth certificate, SS card or DD-214? That last one was a joke.

I am retired military. Every single one of us is collecting a check and free medical insurance. Why are we being offered discounts everywhere?
I’m not retired military but IMO the rest of us can’t do too much for Vets. No one gets rich during military service and that service benefits all citizens. If a Vet doesn’t choose to take advantage of discounts, that’s fine as long as the it’s their decision. My opinion only.

We don't ask for senior discounts because we don't need it. When wait staff in restaurants offer it we add it to their tip. We figured they need it more than we do....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom