Re-Thinking Senior Discounts?

I'm not sure if I understand the "Legal" part. I don't know of any laws that set an age for the discounts, or who can or must offer them. AFAIK, it is voluntary by the company as is the age at which it is offered. I have been given, no asking on my part, senior discounts at age 50. I didn't even notice until I looked at the receipt. I even got an AARP discount when I was in my 40's. Enforcement, or verification of age is up to the company. Now if a company's policy is to offer discounts and you qualify but were denied, then a question of "legal" or not may be applicable.

Let me express it a different way. "Legal' meaning that we folks on this site discuss many perks/subsidies and the like which are available to many of our ages and situations.
There are many opinions on one side that it is not fair for mainly well off people to accept these perks/discounts/subsidies, etc.
Thus my angle is as long as it is "legal" and acceptable to take these advantages, I have no issue in doing as such.

While senior discounts may have, possibly, originated as a way to help struggling seniors, what senior discounts today (outside of the state & federal tax deductions) would actually fall into this category?

Grocery store discounts are few and far between now, so if the goal was to actually assist struggling seniors, those discounts would be widely available. Instead, they are being reduced or stopped entirely. I think the only store in my area that has a 5% (I think that's what it is now) senior discount for groceries is Publix. In a state where we pay 9% tax on all groceries, that is a help but if it that discount was completely altruistic, a full 9% discount would be better. Kroger did away with their senior discount not too long ago, and the other two stores/brands in town never offered one. As an aside, all of the stores in my area stopped 'doubling coupons', too. Wouldn't keeping that policy help if the goal of discount/savings was really to help those seniors who are struggling?

Most of the discounts mentioned in the author's piece fall under the "extras" column for me. A truly struggling senior doesn't have room in their budget for fast food coffee, a Denny's meal, a movie ticket, or a ski pass.

Back in high school & college, I worked at a fast food restaurant. There were constant gripes about the senior discounts because they cost the owner more than what they brought in. They were simply designed as an enticement to get bodies in the door to spend money (ex, buy a biscuit with that coffee), but most came in, got only their free coffee (with free cream and sugar), and just sat in the dining room for hours. If the discount was altruistic, why would this be brought up at every managers' meeting? They were looking at the bottom line, and not as a way of helping struggling seniors. Corporate said they had to offer the discount, though, otherwise the owner would have ended it.

It seems the author just wants kudos from those who want to "punish the rich". No one is forcing stores/eateries/parks/etc to offer senior discounts, so what's the bee in the author's bonnet really about? I can't see getting so upset about discounted subway/bus passes, so there must be something that brought on his need to write the piece. I wonder if the author will avail himself of senior discounts once he is old enough if he is above the poverty line or whatever means test he seems to approve of, or will he willingly pay more?

I am nowhere near being eligible for a senior discount, but when I am, I will absolutely make use of them, the same way I use coupons when shopping, or when I shop during sales. They are three peas in a pod ~~ enticement to get consumers into their stores in order for them to spend more.

+1

IF in old days some senior had limited cash, offering 10% off a movie ticket still meant they spent 90% of the price on something they couldn't afford.

IF the intent was charity, then free works best !

Discounts are always a marketing ploy if offered to anyone qualified. If the owner of a business lets Uncle Bob eat for free, but nobody else that is not a discount but charity.
Notice how Cruise ships have that 55+ checkbox, but the biggest discount I ever got was $2.50 each off the price of a cruise that cost nearly $2K. Most times there is no actual discount after you check the box.

National Parks sell discounted memberships to old folks, because the old folks PAID for the parks, it's OUR land. Plus it encourages use of the parks, old folks tell the younger ones about it and they go and use it and pay to enter.

I’m mildly offended when cashiers give me the senior discount without asking me. It’s happened a few times even though I’m a few yrs under their required “senior age”. Guess I should just enjoy while it lasts.

OP here.
Personally, a 5% discount on a cup of coffee doesn't make or break my day and if saving $2 on a theater ticket makes that much of a go/no go difference, then maybe you should stay home.

The senior discount is nice--almost a fun thing-- but that's as far as it goes for me.

Yes, I got a senior discount at Deer Valley saving $51 over the $169 one day/adult ticket, but if you're a young'un in need, I doubt saving $51 bucks would make a $250 day of skiing any more affordable.

As a young soldier, I slept in my VW mini-bus at Crystal Mountain ski resort. It made skiing almost affordable. Nowadays? Slept in my Honda Element last fall at the hunt club because I wanted to.

I'm not much interested in senior discounts. If offered, sure. But I won't ask. Just too close to grovelling (for me). Also, they can be a hassle. Example is most hotel chains. By selecting either senior or military discount, upgraded rooms are often excluded. Travel for us is a retirement "perk." As such, we usually want upgraded rooms and other niceties. So perhaps, this example does help seniors on a limited budget looking to save a few bucks? Ma and Pa Kettle save a few bucks and the hotel chain gets a loyal customer? Okay, maybe a win-win.

As a young soldier, I slept in my VW mini-bus at Crystal Mountain ski resort. It made skiing almost affordable.

I don't know how things are today, but when I was stationed in Colorado I could go to the base services office and get half price lift tickets for most of the Colorado ski areas. Then I just got up really early on Saturday morning, drove to the slopes and spent the day, then drove home in the evening. No hotels and a burger for lunch. I could afford to go skiing twice a month as a rule. Of course, lift tickets cost a lot less back then, but still it was a great deal. So the military discount is still valuable and useful.

^^^ +1. Military Outdoor Rec was where I got my lift tix. Without that, I might have been a grand figure skater. :LOL:

I was offered my first senior discount a few weeks ago at a grocery store. It was in the self-checkout area and an employee was walking the scan stations asking individual people.

I accepted it and thought, “I must be looking a little rough today”.

Best senior discount is the metro system in Madrid, Spain. 12 Euros a month unlimited.

I look forward to them. I get some through AARP, but the DH get free public transit now that she is of Medicare age, I unfortunately have to pay full fare. :(

You are not supposed to compare your young-person trials and tribulations with those of young people today. After all, back in '78, you just walked into a great job and benefits without any effort at all! Or so one reads.
Look at how much crap young people have today! It took me a long time to come up with all that garbage, and then my femme left and divorced me and I had to junk all of it anyway!

Only thing junking up my apartment today is dumbells and kettlebells, and since I am now and forever single I think I will get to keep them.

BTW, if I were offered a pregnant woman discount I would happily take it. My orientation is to cash.

Ha

Last edited:
We haven't gotten any benefit from old-people discounts. For us, they're strictly a marketing ploy that we see through.
Of course it's a marketing ploy. What else could it be?

But what is there to "see through"? If you get a discount coupon in the mail for a store where you regularly shop do you throw it away because you see through their marketing ploy?

If someone wants to give me a discount for something I was already planning to buy, I'll take it every day.

The one exception has been the library, where Mr. A. gets an over-65 discount on fines of 50%. Naturally, we both use his card!
Because you don't see through their ploy?

Still, it seems curious to me that this form of age discrimination in pricing is legal when it would never be legal based on other demographic traits.

:confused:

Legal pricing discrimination happens all the time.

Grocery stores have regional pricing. Stores within a given chain don't all have the same prices.

Women's haircuts cost more than men's. Women's toiletries often cost more than men's.

Ex military regularly receive discounts where I live.

I just moved. In my change of address packet I received a bunch of "now that you are in this locale" discount coupons.

Nothing curious about it.

Best senior discount I ever got was converting to a senior account at our bank.

Free checking and free checks for members over 50.

They dropped that perk recently. Too many oldsters writing $5 checks at the bingo hall?

Shouldn't all discounts be "means tested" to root out people who are gaming the system?

Why give senior discounts to millionaires and billionaires who don't "need" them?

;)

Shouldn't all discounts be "means tested" to root out people who are gaming the system?

Why give senior discounts to millionaires and billionaires who don't "need" them?

;)

Very good Monte.:cool:

I had a few minutes before I need to go this morning so I read the article. It's as totally off-base as I thought. If he thinks businesses are offering senior discounts as a charitable benefit and for the good of society, he's way off.
Yep-well said.

Here comes the "senior guilt" & "senior privilege". Guess it was only a matter of time...

The demographic class warfare is getting out of hand.

Why give senior discounts to millionaires and billionaires who don't "need" them?;)
Perhaps because a business wants to attract this demographic as part of its customer base. What business wouldn't want to attract millionaires and billionaires as new customers? According to research (such as The Millionaire Next Door) many wealthy people are frugal.

If the managers did not believe that discounts to any particular group would be beneficial to the business, either financially or non-financially, the discounts would not be offered.

He calls for replacing them with income-based discounts for people of all ages.

If they made it income/means based, I suspect that many millionaires would still qualify. That's how they got to be millionaires.

:cool:

Last edited:
I've been getting quotes on a new HVAC for my condo. I've asked each one to throw in my senior discount and all I get is a chuckle or strange look. One did offer a cash discount so I will count that. ;)

I’m mildly offended when cashiers give me the senior discount without asking me. It’s happened a few times even though I’m a few yrs under their required “senior age”. Guess I should just enjoy while it lasts.

DW has the opposite problem - she has to ask for the senior discount as no one believes that she is over 60. She sometimes offered to show her drivers license to prove it. :LOL:

I agree with those to say it is a marketing ploy. No one puts a gun to a business owners head and forces them to offer hit. Likewise no one forces a senior to take it ("we will TORTURE you with the fluffy pillows!!"). Eventually everyone who lives to the discount age will be eligible for it.

If a business wants more of a particular type of clientele, they will more likely offer some form of discount to that clientele. Of course, with SJWs roaming the land, they have to be aware how it may be perceived as some form of discrimination. :)

DW has the opposite problem - she has to ask for the senior discount as no one believes that she is over 60. She sometimes offered to show her drivers license to prove it. [emoji23]

I agree with those to say it is a marketing ploy. No one puts a gun to a business owners head and forces them to offer hit. Likewise no one forces a senior to take it ("we will TORTURE you with the fluffy pillows!!"). Eventually everyone who lives to the discount age will be eligible for it.

I know what you mean. My wife is always getting "carded".

Back
Top Bottom